Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on Jack Casady Epi basses?

Ccwg_Bass

22 minutes ago, Owen said:

These float across my radar now and again. What difference does it make?

I've just put one on my early Korean JC. Main difference is easy, accurate and stable adjustment of intonation and individual string height. Also there is a greater distance between the string retainer and saddles, which means that any silk on the ball end of the string doesn't sit on the saddle., and the angle of the string at the saddle is shallower. Altogether a massive improvement over the shonky original. It weighs a gram or so less too.

I put a Babicz on my Epiphone Les Paul bass. When is this revelatory improvement going to kick in? It's a bridge. I actually found the Babicz quite a faff to set up and I couldn't really give a monkeys that it's there when I'm playing the bass or not changing strings, which is the vast majority of the time.

I would like to point out that the only reason the Babicz is there at all is because I couldn't find a gold three pointer for love nor money and I got impatient. If gold three pointers had been available, I'd have happily used that (and trousered the price difference)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I put a Babicz on my Epiphone Les Paul bass. When is this revelatory improvement going to kick in? It's a bridge. I actually found the Babicz quite a faff to set up and I couldn't really give a monkeys that it's there when I'm playing the bass or not changing strings, which is the vast majority of the time.

There is no revelatory improvement, but my particular JC was unplayable with it's original bridge because of the lack of adjustment. Now I can actually use it. 

29 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

There is no revelatory improvement, but my particular JC was unplayable with it's original bridge because of the lack of adjustment. Now I can actually use it. 

Sorry to hear that, glad you found something that works for you.

Wouldn't be fair not to point out that whatever it was about the stock bridge that was making your bass "unplayable" doesn't get in my way, or Jack Casady's for that matter.  You know, before yet another dogpile on the three point bridge gets going...

32 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Wouldn't be fair not to point out that whatever it was about the stock bridge that was making your bass "unplayable" doesn't get in my way, or Jack Casady's for that matter. 

Not really sure what point you're trying to make.  I'm talking about my particular bass, my particular bridge. It was 20 years old when I got it a few weeks ago. It's just possible with a bass at this price point, that there is an inconsistency in component quality. There is no individual height adjustment for the saddles on the standard bridge, sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. Mine needed it. If he played it, I'm sure Jack Casady would agree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

Not really sure what point you're trying to make.  I'm talking about my particular bass, my particular bridge. It was 20 years old when I got it a few weeks ago. It's just possible with a bass at this price point, that there is an inconsistency in component quality. There is no individual height adjustment for the saddles on the standard bridge, sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. Mine needed it. If he played it, I'm sure Jack Casady would agree.

As I said, "before yet another dogpile on the three point bridge gets going..." - not really getting at you and only quoting you for context, just steeling myself for the inevitable...

Simple solution: get a luthier to put flats on it for you.

Then faffing with the stock bridge is someone else's problem, the bass gets new strings and a set up and you don't have the frustration.

Using flats = strings for life. 

Simples, as the Meerkat once said.

*I'm sort of joking, but also not.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, neepheid said:

As I said, "before yet another dogpile on the three point bridge gets going..."

I don't have any issues per se with the 3 point bridge, apart from the lack of adjustability. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I'm unaware of any ongoing controversy, my other basses are Fenders.

12 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Simple solution: get a luthier to put flats on it for you.

Then faffing with the stock bridge is someone else's problem, the bass gets new strings and a set up and you don't have the frustration.

All my basses wear flats. Anyway, I fitted the Babicz, set it up (really easy) and it's now sorted. It's a great bass.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

I don't have any issues per se with the 3 point bridge, apart from the lack of adjustability. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I'm unaware of any ongoing controversy, my other basses are Fenders.

All my basses wear flats. Anyway, I fitted the Babicz, set it up (really easy) and it's now sorted. It's a great bass.

Can I borrow your rock please? :)

• Haha 2

On 11/04/2023 at 14:36, oldslapper said:

Anyone gig with one of these regularly and at high stage volume?

I’m looking at a long scale semi hollow for a new venture, and as the Lakland on here has recently sold, I’m considering a JC. 
Looking at and listening to reviews, the bass has a fairly good range of tone variation (although I tend to stick with the same tone settings throughout a set, varying finger position/attack to get some scope when needed, so not an issue).

My main concern would be possible feedback, given that it’s a hollow body without centre block. 
So the question above is for those who play one at high band volume and your experiences.

Thank you. 

Hi

I play in both an 80’s & Punk band. Both are loud and I’ve never even thought about feedback and I've experienced none whatsoever

I run mine through 2 TC Electronic RS112’s with an RH750 head

Its a fantastic bass so just go for it 👍

C196BD21-0ED2-42AB-A5DA-0BDFB9448271.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a secondhand JC via the BC marketplace a couple of months ago and am very much in love with it.

One minor issue I'm having is that a couple of the pickup height adjustment screws keep coming loose. This causes an irritating rattle playing unplugged and will no doubt eventually lead to them falling out.

They only seem to achieve adequate grip when they are screwed far enough in that they cause the pickup to choke the strings.

I'm hoping to use it at a couple of festivals over the next few weeks so I'm hoping there's an easy fix that even I could perform.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dankology said:

I picked up a secondhand JC via the BC marketplace a couple of months ago and am very much in love with it.

One minor issue I'm having is that a couple of the pickup height adjustment screws keep coming loose. This causes an irritating rattle playing unplugged and will no doubt eventually lead to them falling out.

They only seem to achieve adequate grip when they are screwed far enough in that they cause the pickup to choke the strings.

I'm hoping to use it at a couple of festivals over the next few weeks so I'm hoping there's an easy fix that even I could perform.

Perhaps a small dab of threadlock on the end?  Replace with (slightly) longer screws (assuming one can figure out the size/thread)?  I agree that they're on the ragged edge when it comes to biting the thread but I've found a sweet spot on mine.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/05/2023 at 11:43, Dankology said:

Me too! Mine gets played quite aggressively with a pick when I'm gigging it and I often thought I might be bashing the pickup and making them loose. My solution is to now and then try to tighten it with the edge of the pick, but I also keep a small screwdriver from a Christmas cracker in my case for it and properly see to the screws with that when needed and practical to do so. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Agent 00Soul said:

Is there a difference in quality between the Koran and Chinese manufactured instruments?

According to internet folk lore the early Korean ones all contained some of Jack's DNA in the paintwork, so were naturally more resonant and sounded a lot better.......

I had a Korean one and it was great. Since selling it I've had hankerings for another JC and all of the Chinese ones I've played in shops sound and feel just as good to me. Appreciate that's not an extensive test in laboratory conditions, but I hope it helps 😃

The JC is the top of the line when it comes to Epiphone basses. When they're contracting out the build they're going to set a certain quality level with it, no matter who builds it or where they're situated, so they're going to be fairly evenly matched. 

41 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Me too! Mine gets played quite aggressively with a pick when I'm gigging it and I often thought I might be bashing the pickup and making them loose. My solution is to now and then try to tighten it with the edge of the pick, but I also keep a small screwdriver from a Christmas cracker in my case for it and properly see to the screws with that when needed and practical to do so. 

Looking at the way it's all put together, would it be possible to

1. Adjust pickup to correct height
  2. Remove strings and undo pickup frame fixing screws
  3. Lift up pickup and pickup mounting frame as one
  4. Put nuts on the height adjustment screws and tighten them against the frame, locking the screws in place
  5. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly ((c) Haynes Manuals)

You'd need to find the size of the height adjustment screws first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Looking at the way it's all put together, would it be possible to

1. Adjust pickup to correct height
  2. Remove strings and undo pickup frame fixing screws
  3. Lift up pickup and pickup mounting frame as one
  4. Put nuts on the height adjustment screws and tighten them against the frame, locking the screws in place
  5. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly ((c) Haynes Manuals)

You'd need to find the size of the height adjustment screws first.

... or put a drop of clear nail varnish over the screw head to stop it from turning..? :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 14:47, neepheid said:

Does it matter, as long as the one you've got in your hands is a good 'un?

It matters if you are in the market for one.  You don't want to buy something that has a good chance of being a lemon.  You can also go the wine route I suppose and ask what years are the best, but that is pedantic and not something people on a board should be expected to know.  Milestones such as "pre-CBS" or "post-Norlin" are much better starting points.

20 minutes ago, Agent 00Soul said:

It matters if you are in the market for one.  You don't want to buy something that has a good chance of being a lemon.  You can also go the wine route I suppose and ask what years are the best, but that is pedantic and not something people on a board should be expected to know.  Milestones such as "pre-CBS" or "post-Norlin" are much better starting points.

You do you - I'm of the opinion that the chances of buying a lemon are way smaller than "the Internet" and its campfire scary story approach to summarising relative quality control would have you believe.

I've owned a Korean made JC and two Chinese made JCs and they've all been excellent.  In the grand scheme of things, that data (much like the rest of the anecdotal pish that gets bandied about ad nauseum) means... very little.

On 14/07/2023 at 13:47, neepheid said:

You do you - I'm of the opinion that the chances of buying a lemon are way smaller than "the Internet" and its campfire scary story approach to summarising relative quality control would have you believe.

I've owned a Korean made JC and two Chinese made JCs and they've all been excellent.  In the grand scheme of things, that data (much like the rest of the anecdotal pish that gets bandied about ad nauseum) means... very little.

Actually, that info is really useful.  Based on your experience there is no change in high quality when Epiphone changed manufacturing plants for this instrument.  Makes looking for one much easier.

I'm 55 and unfortunately have been burned by cool instruments that turn out to be lemons long before the internet arrived, so it's very much a case of (more than) once bitten twice shy.

1 minute ago, Agent 00Soul said:

Actually, that info is really useful.  Based on your experience there is no change in high quality when Epiphone changed manufacturing plants for this instrument.  Makes looking for one much easier.

I'm 55 and unfortunately have been burned by cool instruments that turn out to be lemons long before the internet arrived, so it's very much a case of (more than) once bitten twice shy.

I hear you and know where you're coming from.  My Korean made JC was a gold top, then I had a Chinese made Blue Royale limited edition, and my current one is a 20th Anniversary JC.  I also find it reassuring that JC himself takes models straight from the factory and tours with them.  He asks for no special treatment - "No ringers" as he's been quoted saying - he plays what you and I can buy.

• 6 months later...

Anyone had any electronics repairs made to a JC bass?  Tone control doesn't seem to be working for me.  Would prefer to give to a tech with experience of the hollowbody electrics, if anyone had a recommendation.