Why become a member? ×

NBD - American Fender Precision - 2014

MungoBass

I had heard some good things about these basses, on account of the Custom Shop pickups, light(er)weight tuners and overall finish, so I couldn’t resist the chance to grab this one owner Precision. I have always been a sucker for White Fenders and especially so when combined with a glossy maple board! The bass is beautifully finished and plays and sounds superb. I was surprised at the thickness/depth of the neck, it has far more meat on it than I was expecting, but that is probably because I have spent a few months playing the old style C necks which are wide but shallow.

It has a set of old Rotos at the moment but I will most likely swap them for some La Bella flats. 

I have not used flats on a through body for a long time, any advice as to what I should look out for would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn’t expect to remove them to put on another bass in the future!

805BBBBC-2103-476C-8F66-115E7361F85D.jpeg

Edited by MungoBass
  • Like 18

7 hours ago, MungoBass said:

I had heard some good things about these basses, on account of the Custom Shop pickups, light(er)weight tuners and overall finish, so I couldn’t resist the chance to grab this one owner Precision. I have always been a sucker for White Fenders and especially so when combined with a glossy maple board! The bass is beautifully finished and plays and sounds superb. I was surprised at the thickness/depth of the neck, it has far more meat on it than I was expecting, but that is probably because I have spent a few months playing the old style C necks which are wide but shallow.

It has a set of old Rotos at the moment but I will most likely swap them for some La Bella flats. 

I have not used flats on a through body for a long time, any advice as to what I should look out for would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn’t expect to remove them to put on another bass in the future!

EC20183A-6284-48AF-8156-0ADD334649DF.jpeg

Labella do through-body sets of flats (suffix “TB”). Or just top load the normal sets. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the equivalent colour and year Jazz bass.  It was one I regret selling.  Fabulous basses between 2012-16.  I prefer D'addario Chomes for a less vintage sound, but I don't see massive difference in sound between thru-body or bridge stringing.  On memory the heavier gauge strings were not the most flexible so I'm pretty sure I went bridge.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, acidbass said:

Love this!  I have a thing for post 2010 white US Fenders (with the US****** serial numbers) - they are just immense!  I have five of them!  My P's are strung with La Bella 760FS and they just bark.

Only 5?!?!  I need to tell the wife so I can get more! 🤣

Did you string them through body or top load?

59 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

Brilliant, thank you. Did you use standard long scale or opt for extra long?

I use Labella normal (long scale) through body versions strung through the body. Plenty of winds left to get 3 full winds on the A peg even after clipping. These are the standard 760-FS-TB not the low-tension set. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The LFTs have arrived so now I need to decide if I’m brave enough to load them through the body or play safe and top load!

The action was high but after a few tweaks and even with the existing roundwounds it has gone nice and low without any fret buzz, so the LFTs should hopefully make the bass play and sound even better!

Edited by MungoBass

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/11/2022 at 13:20, MungoBass said:

EC20183A-6284-48AF-8156-0ADD334649DF.jpeg

I have the exact bass including the year, and they are an excellent bass to own & play. I have Dunlop flats on mine 45 - 105 strung top loaded, didn't want to chance going string through.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I eventually found the time today to change the strings to a set of La Bellas.......but not the LFTs!  I decided that as I already had a Jazz strung with LFTs I would try something different.

It is now wearing a set of 750N black nylon tape wounds and I’m very happy with my choice. Super smooth under the fingers, low tension and none of that harsh plastic ‘clack’ on the fingerboard I remember from other brands. The sound is brighter than I expected but I don’t mind that at all.

Edited by MungoBass
  • Like 1

Gorgeous bass. I have the same colour scheme in a Player P. In the past I’ve never been crazy about the thought of a white bass, especially having seen the yellowing of them a few years down the line. Recently I’ve grown to love the tort on white look, my Player is actually called Polar White, not Olympic white. It is very white indeed, I have no idea if it will yellow the same as oly white, I hope it doesn’t as it looks great the way it is. 

I’m yet to try flats on a long scale bass, only ever briefly tried some on a short scale Mustang, they felt really nice but just not what I’m used to (nickel plated steel rounds). I’ll have to try flats on the P someday. 

What does your bass weigh? I’ve heard that the 2013-16 line was relatively light 

• Like 1

I have two US Standard Precisions (2010 & 2012) and a more recent Player Precision. All are strung with LaBella (standard tension) and none are strung through body.

They all sound and feel just how I expect a bass to sound and feel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dmc79 said:

Gorgeous bass. I have the same colour scheme in a Player P. In the past I’ve never been crazy about the thought of a white bass, especially having seen the yellowing of them a few years down the line. Recently I’ve grown to love the tort on white look, my Player is actually called Polar White, not Olympic white. It is very white indeed, I have no idea if it will yellow the same as oly white, I hope it doesn’t as it looks great the way it is. 

I’m yet to try flats on a long scale bass, only ever briefly tried some on a short scale Mustang, they felt really nice but just not what I’m used to (nickel plated steel rounds). I’ll have to try flats on the P someday. 

What does your bass weigh? I’ve heard that the 2013-16 line was relatively light 

Thank you. I had a Player series in Polar White and I agree, it is very white! Personal opinion, but I think it is well worth trying some flats on your P at some stage. I don’t have rounds on any of my basses!

I can’t weigh the bass at the moment but will do next week. I would say it’s an average weight!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I have two US Standard Precisions (2010 & 2012) and a more recent Player Precision. All are strung with LaBella (standard tension) and none are strung through body.

They all sound and feel just how I expect a bass to sound and feel.

Lovely! Totally agree, a P with flats sounds and feels great. I top loaded the tape wounds to be on the safe side and to be honest, I’m sure my ears wouldn’t notice the difference of top load v through body anyway!

• Like 1