Why become a member? ×

BlackSmith Nano Coated Strings

Tokalo

I couldn’t see any reviews of BlackSmith strings, so I thought I’d start one (it won’t be an expert review; just my amateur impressions).

At a recent sweaty 3-hour practice I found my TI Flats got too sticky to play, so I thought I’d look for some smooth roundwounds (I’ve got pressurewounds on another bass and they would be a good solution, but I’m naturally curious…)

So I’ve fitted a set of BlackSmith nano carbon coated 45-100 gauge to my Tribute Kiloton.

First thing: they may have a carbon coating, but they’re not black!

Second: medium tension

Third: not exceptionally smooth; similar roughness to EXLs but with less string noise. They’re bright sounding, but then they’re new. I guess the test for strings that claim to give “the perfect balance of tone and playability” will come after a few weeks/months.

Other:

Tapered at tuning end, but not bridge;

Ball-ends are attractive gunmetal;

Cost £22.99 from Amazon (shipped from Monaghan in Ireland).

I’ll give an update once I’ve tried them in a band situation.

image.jpg

2E7B22D5-4327-475A-A61D-9940CFC82E3A.jpeg

5B69CAD1-FEE4-4F7F-B9F0-5AA6DF94CBA7.jpeg

92A06613-D1A8-44D1-B4C2-EC6749E7C375.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update, after a few hours playing with a band.

Smooth-feeling: reminded me of GHS Pressurewounds;

No string noise at all;

No zing or overt brightness;

Stay in tune better than any other string I’ve tried;

Tone is full and smooth, reminded me of DR Pure Blues (completely subjective I know, and I don’t have the vocabulary - but my BL praised the tone as soon as I started up and without knowing I’d changed strings).They definitely give a good account of the rather excellent MFD pickups on the Kiloton!

Carbon-coating seems to work: I washed & only partially-dried my hands and the clamminess seemed short-lived (even more subjective and utterly unscientific, but I “sensed” the difference was noticeable);

Couldn't be described as “low tension”, but felt lower than, say, Fender flats.

Edited by Tokalo
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Update after 8 months.

I’ve had the strings on my main gigging bass (Spector Coda 4) all year: they’re still going strong and sounding/feeling great.

I suppose I should compare them with Elixirs - but I tried some of those once and wasn’t particularly impressed; I certainly couldn’t see why they cost so much more. These Blacksmiths, on the other hand, definitely seem to be good value for money. 

I’ve just put another set on my second bass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tokalo said:

Update after 8 months.

I’ve had the strings on my main gigging bass (Spector Coda 4) all year: they’re still going strong and sounding/feeling great.

I suppose I should compare them with Elixirs - but I tried some of those once and wasn’t particularly impressed; I certainly couldn’t see why they cost so much more. These Blacksmiths, on the other hand, definitely seem to be good value for money. 

I’ve just put another set on my second bass.

Do you have a link to the retailer?

Thanks. 

Interesting - I thought Elixir had patented the method of coating a fully wound string, making others coat the outer core before winding around the centre. Although you can see the Elixir patent online, I can't find any mention of the US Patent referenced on the back of the box of these strings?

I tried a few sets on my fretted basses.

The 4 strings set was engaging, that's why I bought a fiver and a sixer set, and there came the utter deception: both B strings were dead sounding and C string was really dull and I also had a weaker sounding A string in one set.

Cheap, but not reliable and the patent they pretend to have doesn't exist at all.

I came back to the good ol' Elixir's.

8 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I tried a few sets on my fretted basses.

The 4 strings set was engaging, that's why I bought a fiver and a sixer set, and there came the utter deception: both B strings were dead sounding and C string was really dull and I also had a weaker sounding A string in one set.

Cheap, but not reliable and the patent they pretend to have doesn't exist at all.

I came back to the good ol' Elixir's.

Weaker sounding E string. 😉😅

I see these are the stock strings for Solar guitars & basses, so it's safe to assume they're good for metal 🤘
I'm curious about the Blacksmith stainless steel strings, as the listed tension for the E and B is unusually high for roundwounds at 55lbs - could be good for drop tuning. Not willing to risk the money on what's probably a misprint though!

On 21/08/2023 at 17:59, MartinB said:

I see these are the stock strings for Solar guitars & basses, so it's safe to assume they're good for metal 🤘
I'm curious about the Blacksmith stainless steel strings, as the listed tension for the E and B is unusually high for roundwounds at 55lbs - could be good for drop tuning. Not willing to risk the money on what's probably a misprint though!

Tension seems quite normal to me (image from OP):

2E7B22D5-4327-475A-A61D-9940CFC82E3A.jpe

Fairly similar to that of regular D'Addario XL bass strings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

How are they compared to Elixir Nanoweb coated strings?

Both in terms of feel, tone, and in terms of how long they keep sounding fresh.

They seem to utilize a somewhat similar coating technique as the Elixir, in that the coating, unlike just about any other coated strings on the market, covers the whole string, but where Elixir utilizes a Cortex coating, which as far as I gathered is some sort of synthetic plastic/fabric, these Blacksmith strings seems to utilize some kind of Carbon based coating. 

On 05/09/2023 at 16:13, Baloney Balderdash said:

Cortex coating

Interesting, so they are taking brains out to coat strings!

It's Gore-Tex, not Cortex. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So it's the quite same material enabling humidity to get out but not in that you find in clothes or shoes...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Interesting, so they are taking brains out to coat strings!

It's Gore-Tex, not Cortex. 🤦🏻‍♂️

So it's the quite same material enabling humidity to get out but not in that you find in clothes or shoes...

:laugh1:

I did actually think that Cortex didn't sound quite right, but then decided that Thomann would probably know best. 9_9

Guess I should have known better, after all the specs listed for several of their basses are either outdated or straight out wrong.

Thanks for correcting me though.

For the sake of documentation: https://www.thomann.de/dk/elixir_12302_baritone_nanoweb.htm

image.png.90702927bcb28d5dac2e9d06b18b8307.png

• Like 1