Why become a member? ×

any jazz bass pickups with adjustable pole pieces?

shoulderpet

Hi

Are there any jazz bass pickups with adjustable pole pieces? Other than model j that is, I like that bright, slightly scoopy sound of both pickups on full so don't want to change that with a mid heavy pickup like the model j but am struggling to find any other pickups with adjustable pole pieces, thanks

Thanks however I have brought entwistles before and though the pole pieces looked adjustable they were firmly glued in place, I think they are meant to be adjustable but quality control at that price point means it's a crapshoot, still might be worth me trying, at that price if I break it in the process its not really a big deal

I'm seriously considering (very, very carefully) removing the pole pieces of a ceramic pickup and replacing them with these https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/3011374009

I have many times pushed pole pieces up on a pickup to get them closer to the strings so I know it can be done if you are very careful with it

s-l400.jpg

Edited by shoulderpet

Ok so I ended up taking out the bridge pickup (pj bass) and pushing up the pole pieces.

Is a cheap jazz bass pickup (Wilkinson) so I figured if I ruin the pickup it is cheap to replace, pushed the A and D pole pieces up and then wired up the bridge pickup only, all good, sound from each string so I didn't damage the coil, checked distance between the strings and the pole pieces and much, much better.

I could have just brought a model j pickup with the adjustable pole pieces but then you lose that single coil brightness and the slight mid scoop of both pickups on full, the Wilkinson seems to be a nice sounding pickup anyway.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2022 at 00:07, machinehead said:

The jazz pickup in my US Fender Jaguar has adjustable pole pieces, although I have no reason to adjust them.

Frank.

That's fair enough, if you don't feel you need to then obviously don't

...... That being said I think that most people with jazz bass pickups if they measured the distance between the underside of each set of pole pieces and the corresponding strings would be surprised to see how much different the A and D pole pieces are compared to the E and G. 

I have noticed this on a number of basses with jazz bass pickups and it is due to the fingerboard radius, with P pickups you don't get this issue as you can tilt each half of the P pickup.

• Like 2