Why become a member? ×

Outboard preamp to get 'active' Mark King type tones?

Angel

I really like that very active type guitar tone that people like Mark King get.

I'm wanting to achieve that sort of tone. I basically just noodle around at home, occasionally recording, so I'm hoping to get somewhere without spending megabucks. My current bass is self built with Delano pickups and a J Retro 01 preamp.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

For reference, this kind of sound is what I am after:

4 hours ago, itu said:

Start from new stainless steel strings,

This + 1 & that is where the "Mega Bucks" come in. New means brand new sparkling need to change them very regularly, Mark (sponsored string deal) used to swap basses (with new strings) mid-gig because the sound had gone off !!!

From bitter experience it is a very expensive sound to chase!

Any of the lighter gauges will do (40 to 100 last a little longer but not much!!!)

B

On 30/10/2022 at 07:52, Angel said:

I'm wanting to achieve that sort of tone. I basically just noodle around at home, occasionally recording, so I'm hoping to get somewhere without spending megabucks. My current bass is self built with Delano pickups and a J Retro 01 preamp.

I can guarantee the sound that you are hearing here is down to Bernie's electronics - in this case the Rumour circuit with humbucking soapbars, in parallel. It's instant Mark King if that's your thing. (It does loads of other tones also... it's not just limited to this sort of slap)

For reference, here's the same pre and pickups in my Spitfire. This is straight into the DAW. (Hear the similarity?)

• Like 1

As a starting point, stainless steels are a must (DR Lowriders (are my fave, are higher tension strings and on all my basses) or DR Hi-Beams).

Live wise - Marcus used a HD350+ (and actually had a HD350 with a 650 power amp - called the HD350+ that was never on sale to the general public). Even with his SWR deal, he still used EBS.

Mark King - the sound that you hear is nothing down to his choice of amp/speakers. It's all DI. So to ape Marks sound, a compressor and a fairly transparent EQ (like a mic pre) will get you better results. Scoop the mids. Add the highs to taste. Again, the EBS multicomp, or using a HD350 (with the comp on when slapping) will get you into Mark King zone with no issues.

Why HD350 (or TD650) - because they are extremely transparent. Some people hate them for that very reason. 

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 07:52, Angel said:

Looking at old photos of MK with trace Elliot gear, this is his EQ curve. Basically a bit if a notch out if 700-1k and 10db treble boost and about 7db 60-340hz. 

I think live he favoured the bridge pick-up of his Jaydee - probably because there was sequenced bass. I think he maxed out the bass and treble on his bass preamp and almost fully cut the mids. 

Aguilar OBP3 with the mids set at 800hz to cut would be a good on board preamp to kind of get in the ball park I think.

image.jpg

• Like 1