Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Musician, my life long friend :)

JosephMartyn

If you're the type of guy who holds on to a single bass over extended periods of time you're going to struggle on this forum :) 

Only joking, lovely bass, sincerely wish I could find one bass to rule them all, god knows I've tried........ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, JosephMartyn said:

As I get back onto bass after a long injury break...here is my lovely bass, been through a lot! 

20221022_201338.jpg

Beautiful. I had the MC924 in Pearl White. My third bass and my first active one. String with Roto Superwounds, when you had to cut your own lengths!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Beedster said:

If you're the type of guy who holds on to a single bass over extended periods of time you're going to struggle on this forum :) 

Only joking, lovely bass, sincerely wish I could find one bass to rule them all, god knows I've tried........ 

Haha! Oh I'm also addicted to trying new basses over the years..many have come and gone (I'm on the verge of selling my vigier fretless delta metal to pay the mot and energy bills!)

But this one is an old faithful workhorse, beautiful neck to play :)

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

limited edition one too!

Indeed! A very battered one but still very playable. I forget who I bought it from now...I'll have to look into old messages...I'm sure he had a story about it being thrown out an upstairs toilet window at a punk gig...amazingly it survived!

That's lovely! I've been a huge fan of the Musician for years, and have owned three (two 1981, one 1983. All MC924's). I've traded my last 1981 earlier this year because I only occasionally play the 1983 anymore. I like the thinner and narrower neck better, and it's a bit lighter too. I've also come to appreciate the PJ pickup combination a lot more over the years. It just works! The bass has seen its fair share of abuse before I got it and it shows, but the neck is undented and hugely comfortable :)

1983 also makes it my YOB bass (in fact, only a month younger than me!) which makes it all the more special to me. I'll never sell it! 

FB_IMG_1495058399252.jpg.4f5a14c689e60899458b220e74f47e22.jpg

The one on the left. The one on the right now resides in Boston, MA. 

• Like 3

Wonderful basses indeed! Mine is battered a bit now but every time I play her it’s like putting on that old pair of boots that are soooo comfortable 🤣
My only gigging rig for 20 years, that bugger and a AH300 series 6 …… then I stumbled across Basschat 🤣

• Like 1

I used to have a Ibanez Musician Bass back in the mid -1980s. I had wanted one for years and when I eventually got one I was so happy I couldn't sleep for two nights! Oh, for that level of excitement nowadays!

They were pretty iconic basses at the time, what with Sting ( and lots of other top players) using them. It's a shame that Ibanez developed from the manufactured in Japan quality brand they were into what they are now. Basses like they used to make would be expensive nowadays, but it would be a price worth paying for instruments that were still the same level of quality as from their Golden Age.

• Like 1

I seem to remember paying around that for mine in 1985 , no case. They had a matching fretted and unlined fretless in the shop, and I agonized over which to buy, but eventually sanity prevailed and I chose the fretted version. Otherwise the next few years would have been a lot more out of tune!😄

• Like 1

I had one for a while,  based on recommendations from the likes of Nick Smith ( @doctor_of_the_bass). 

Amazing tonal range,  great neck but weighed in well above what is acceptable. 

I  considered passing it to @Andyjr1515 and having it chambered to reduce the weight but eventually sold it to a fella in Australia. 

• Like 2

On 27/10/2022 at 18:44, JosephMartyn said:

As I get back into bass after a long injury break...here is my lovely bass, been through a lot!

My recollection of my 924 was it was a bit on the heavy side, so my first thought reading that was I hope it wasn't the cause of your injury.

I sold mine to a nice kid on ebay and he turned out to be in the next suburb.

On 28/10/2022 at 21:19, Misdee said:

It's a shame that Ibanez developed from the manufactured in Japan quality brand they were into what they are now. Basses like they used to make would be expensive nowadays, but it would be a price worth paying for instruments that were still the same level of quality as from their Golden Age.

What a load of utter claptrap.

I've had maybe 50 Ibanez basses, still have an old Blazer, an RB that my brother has, and currently 7 MII SR and BTB basses and I'd put any of them up against an equivalent from the MIJ era. Lots of nostalgia there, just like there is with people thinking all 70s fenders are suddenly good. My BTB is about the modern equivalent of the MCs, and if mine was a 4 and not a 6, I'd still have the BTB.

5 hours ago, crazycloud said:

My recollection of my 924 was it was a bit on the heavy side, so my first thought reading that was I hope it wasn't the cause of your injury.

I sold mine to a nice kid on ebay and he turned out to be in the next suburb.

Hi, thanks yeah they're not light! But no the injury was in a high speed accident. I was training to be a stuntman many years ago, a journey which then took me on many twists and turns!

No regrets at all, I got to see a lot of the world, meet amazing people and do things that, looking back, seem like another life.

Feels great to be playing again :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JosephMartyn said:

Hi, thanks yeah they're not light!

Mine wasn't particularly light either, but it was a lovely bass and every so often I get a bit of nostalgia for it, but at the time I had maybe 50 basses and the 4s weren't getting played. The young guy who bought it has turned out to be quite a talent from what I'm told so it went to a good home and I'm happy about that.

But no the injury was in a high speed accident.

I've had a few of those, both race car and road bike and so far, haven't done any long term damage. My worst MVA injury was getting T boned by a truck at relatively low speed.

I was training to be a stuntman many years ago, a journey which then took me on many twists and turns!

No regrets at all, I got to see a lot of the world, meet amazing people and do things that, looking back, seem like another life.

The wife would have said back then I was an amateur stuntman for some of my exploits. It would have been an amazing experience doing stunts, I assume for movies/TV.

Feels great to be playing again

Welcome back. I hope you have a lot of fun playing your Musician.

• Like 2

I had a fretted one at the end of the 90's. Bought it from a chap in Guildford. I'd always wanted one after Sting, Adam Clayton and a few other 80's bassists played them. Two weeks into owning it, our singer was jumping on the stage and it fell off and snapped the headstock off. Got it repaired at Nova Guitar Centre in Guildford but eventually sold it on as it was just a bit too heavy.

I would love a fretless one in the deep burgundy colour like Sting's. Maybe one day, I will find one and buy it, after all, they do pop up now and again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Mine wasn't particularly light either, but it was a lovely bass and every so often I get a bit of nostalgia for it, but at the time I had maybe 50 basses and the 4s weren't getting played. The young guy who bought it has turned out to be quite a talent from what I'm told so it went to a good home and I'm happy about that.

Wow that's a lot of basses! Glad it went to a good home, I do love knowing the journeys that instruments take :)

and yep, movies, tv, adverts, indie films...anything I could try basically...i was lucky to cross paths with a stunt coordinator working on a music video in Helensburgh. It mainly started through sports I was involved in (high diving, trampolining, aikido) but then one of my sports became the main focus for many years. I guess I've always liked the idea of getting a healthy balance of sport and music in life...brilliant therapy for the soul ! :)

Best look after our bodies and keep playing! Thanks for the welcome back, hopefully I'll make a few videos of my return to playing.

are you in a band at all? I see folk post their music on here too, great stuff!!

Luvin all the Ibanez Musician love!

I'm popping clips on my new instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/joseph.martyn.501/

Thought I'd drop this clip in to begin with...as I try to relearn slap! I'm going to keep a little practice log on Instagram (maybe that will help me practice regularly if I set myself regular challenges!) :)

Edited by JosephMartyn