Why become a member? ×

Eden Amps - now owned by Gear4Music

Jakester

I haven't seen anything here about this - apologies if I'm just repeating old news!

I found out yesterday that Eden Amps has become a brand of Gear4Music! I only found this out as I'd also only just discovered that Premier Percussion had been sold to G4M as well, and the press release also mentioned Eden. 

A quick gander at Wiki suggests that Marshall sold the brand to them last year. Looking at their website it appears there's a more streamlined range of products but haven't seen anything amazing so far. Doesn't immediately look like it's being driven down to a budget brand though.

How long until we get Eden amps being sold as 'pre G4M' at a premium?

• Sad 1

Very sad.  The Eden Traveler was one of the best small gig amps.  Gets hot, prone to crackly pots, all the volume is in the first third of the master etc etc but a great sound. 

Marshall hasn’t really done anything to match their original products.  Hard to see what the new owner can do, I suspect it will be branded pedals and a micro head…this is what sells today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassBod said:

Very sad.  The Eden Traveler was one of the best small gig amps.  Gets hot, prone to crackly pots, all the volume is in the first third of the master etc etc but a great sound. 

Marshall hasn’t really done anything to match their original products.  Hard to see what the new owner can do, I suspect it will be branded pedals and a micro head…this is what sells today. 

Well, looking at what has been done to Premier, it does look very much 'business as usual' - no immediate attempt to cut products down (and indeed there's new 'premium' products having been launched, including a anniversary limited edition £1,499 snare drum), so hopefully it'll be the same with Eden. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Marshall had some superb bass ranges, yet never really managed to do well enough at it apparently. 

Such a shame.

Never got why they bought eden either. 

Do they still own Natal percussion?

Yep, they do, and doing rather well I think. 

It makes no sense for G4M to use Eden for its budget brand. I hope they do something good with it although I am not holding my breath. 

I remember some of those big Marshall bass amps of the past, when I was playing with two too many strings. They looked great. I wonder if Marsgall

might be tempted to bring there own  new range out. 

25 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The Marshall DBS range was great - albeit massively heavy cabs. Not sure why it never really took off. 

Marshall never really cracked the guitar amp maker amp tag, unlike say Mesa, In fact only Mesa that I can think of has a big foot in both camps.

17 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Marshall had some superb bass ranges, yet never really managed to do well enough at it apparently. 

But did they? Certainly Marshall never produced a bass amp any where near as good as the old Eden World Tour amps to establish them as a pukka top bass amp manufacturer. 

10 minutes ago, peteb said:

But did they? Certainly Marshall never produced a bass amp any where near as good as the old Eden World Tour amps to establish them as a pukka top bass amp manufacturer. 

Those DBS were serious amps, but Eden and others, were exotic being from the States. That is not to criticise Eden Amps in any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Those DBS were serious amps, but Eden and others, were exotic being from the States. That is not to criticise Eden Amps in any way.

The DBS amps were decent, but not great. Marshall actually got music shops to ask local gigging players to test them before they were released, so I got to use one before they went on sale. It was a perfectly good amp, but not noticeably better than the Hartke I was using at the time and certainly nowhere near as good as the Mesa mpulse I got not that long after! 

One of the problems that they had was that they never really caught the imagination of many pros, so you didn't see many of your typical session player / gigging pros using them on gigs, unlike the early Eden amps. 

Edited by peteb

I still have never tried a proper World Tour head. I really enjoyed the Bass Pod Eden sim back in the day. At the right price used I would certainly consider one.

In terms of the Marshall DBS amps, I liked them but they never appealed to me and I didn't think that they offered the flexibility of a Trace Elliot, Eden or Mesa or the 'cool factor' of Ampeg. However the VBA 400 was an absolute monster, if they had just downsized it to 200 watts it would have been a brilliant gigging amp.  

The DBS series was a fantastic amp.

The only drawback was the weight. They are the only amp I've used that didn't lose power when using a wah at volume.

I tried Trace, Hartke and even the eden, but nothing touches the flexibility of tone and tweakability of the Marshall.

The peak power alone of 4K w was unprecedented.

The VBA is also another killer head, but heavy again. Used across stages in a variety of countries.

I also know people that totally love the tones the jcm800 bass series created.

I recall reading an interview with Geezer, who said he had a marshall rig that they took to the states, but forgot to change the voltage and fried them before he moved to ampeg

26 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

The DBS series was a fantastic amp.

The only drawback was the weight. They are the only amp I've used that didn't lose power when using a wah at volume.

I tried Trace, Hartke and even the eden, but nothing touches the flexibility of tone and tweakability of the Marshall.

The peak power alone of 4K w was unprecedented.

The VBA is also another killer head, but heavy again. Used across stages in a variety of countries.

I also know people that totally love the tones the jcm800 bass series created.

I recall reading an interview with Geezer, who said he had a marshall rig that they took to the states, but forgot to change the voltage and fried them before he moved to ampeg

You would not fry it going to the States, but might if you forgot to change the voltage back on return.