Why become a member? ×

Fender super bassman 300 opinions?

la bam

It is the most good looking amp by far...
I had one a few years ago. Also the 810 NEO. A massive rig!
I never used the modern channel, just the old school one. But - I found it very very noisy. With the master volume above noon the waterfall started. I tried to set the input volume low and master high to get a clean sound, but it was way too noisy. With input volume cranked a bit and the master at lower setting it was nice. Then I compared the tone with my Monique and found that much nicer. It could growl, though. I also had the Bassman 100T, and found that one more versatile.

Many complained about the auto bias feature, but it worked flawlessly on both my amps.

DSC_0441.JPG

• Like 1

It should have. There are two banks of three tubes, those three tubes being parallel wired. The amp should still work even with only two tubes, on from each bank, in place. Four tube models, like the Twin and Showman, had two banks of two tubes. With one or two tubes removed the difference in how they sounded was imperceptible.

yeah i know , i smelt a electrical burning smell for a couple of seconds before it stoped , sent it to the fender repair agent. He said there was a blown power tube , and a blown fuse. Maybe there was more to it than that, and i just didn't get all the details . Wasn't the main reason i sold it anyway. It was just too much rig for the gigs.

I had one with a Neo410 for about three years - it was kind of my dream rig and the opportunity arose to get it at a very good price. Due to its weight (and perceived fragility) it spent the vast majority of its time in our rehearsal room and it eventually dawned on me that it was really a professional large stage amp and not really appropriate for using in the Dog and Hammer on a Saturday night. Like Mr BassMayhem above I stuck to the Vintage channel and it does sound marvellous - everything I'd hope for. I guess for me it's like the real Fender Twin Reverbs are to guitarists - wonderful if you have someone else to shift it about. 

In the end I sold it to a company who provide backline for touring artists and I understand it was used by The Cult at Nottingham Rock City a few days later and was earmarked for the (cancelled) Mott the Hoople UK tour so it went to a good, and more appropriate, home. 

Did sound good though...

4 hours ago, Chrisan2 said:

i smelt a electrical burning smell for a couple of seconds before it stoped , sent it to the fender repair agent. He said there was a blown power tube , and a blown fuse. Maybe there was more to it than that, and i just didn't get all the details .

A blown tube can take out other components and cause a blown fuse. If you were to just remove a tube it wouldn't stop the amp from working, although if one does that because they notice a tube is ready to go they should remove two, from opposite ends of the amp, to maintain balance.

• 2 weeks later...

Auto bias problems have been a common issue, especially with the early versions of the amp. When mine played up Fender sent a new board without question and free of charge, even though it was well out of warranty. It was an easy and quick fix. Surprised to hear there has been a repair problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive been using the Fender Super Bassman as my primary amp since 2019, its a ripper! Touch wood, I've had no issues with mine to date and has been a tank. 

Being in heavy bands I get a lot of use out of both channels so feel like im getting the most out of the amp. Only issue is the weight as you can probably imagine it is a nightmare to move around! One my bands I play smaller gigs with begged me to stop bringing it as it took up way to much room in the car haha. I've resorted it to being more of an amp that I leave at my bands studio so it gets lots of use at practice and recording. 

I always keep an eye out for additional ones for sale and they never seem to come up but yh quality amp and an awesome flagship tube amp for Fender. When everyone else is moving to more portable amps, its nice to pull out a ballsy tube amp and blast everyone with some tooobbbyy goodness.... as long as you can park close enough to the venue 🤘

Edited by greentext

I had one for a couple of weeks but just didn't get along with sound of it, it didn't seem to take pedals particularly well either in my experience. I sold it on rather soon after getting it to fund buying a house. I later got an Ashdown CTM300 which I had for good while and that to me was a much superior amp and sound and made in the UK so you get the great Ashdown customer service! Additionally I found a brilliant condition Ashdown 810 for just £250 to match with it which was heaven. After I left my band though I sold that too and sometimes regret that a lot.

3 minutes ago, maidens97 said:

it didn't seem to take pedals particularly well either in my experience

I'd be interested to know what pedals you where using and sounds you where trying to get? Personally, i've used it in a few different scenarios in the bands im in from death metal to soul/funky and it has done them all great. I would say its geared very much as a 'rock' amp is has a pretty unpolished sound but I feel for me that really works. 

I haven’t any experience with the CTM300 but I see them around and look great, defo keen to try one!

Just now, greentext said:

I'd be interested to know what pedals you where using and sounds you where trying to get? Personally, i've used it in a few different scenarios in the bands im in from death metal to soul/funky and it has done them all great. I would say its geared very much as a 'rock' amp is has a pretty unpolished sound but I feel for me that really works. 

I haven’t any experience with the CTM300 but I see them around and look great, defo keen to try one!

From my memory I was using mainly a Black Russian big muff and a animato for that muse tone. It all just sounded a bit too coloured for me by the amp but I guess that's why the muse bassist uses markbass! 

• Like 1