Why become a member? ×

Bass Uke

Jabba_the_gut

Got some more of this little build done. I've been getting the neck built - maple with a scarf joint, with veneer front and back. The fretboard is some ebony substitute, but I can't remember which one!! I seem to remember it being some form of pine that has been compressed and heat treated.

vFMcq4V.jpg

I've used maple veneer for the fretlines

JZc6yiG.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Got some more of this little build done. I've been getting the neck built - maple with a scarf joint, with veneer front and back. The fretboard is some ebony substitute, but I can't remember which one!! I seem to remember it being some form of pine that has been compressed and heat treated.

Blackwood Tek?  I used this same material to make a new fret line marker board for Mrs 3below's Ronnie Bennett lap steel.  It finished really well with Tru oil, like a glossy ebony.

9 minutes ago, 3below said:

Blackwood Tek?  I used this same material to make a new fret line marker board for Mrs 3below's Ronnie Bennett lap steel.  It finished really well with Tru oil, like a glossy ebony.

That rings a bell actually - cheers. I've got a couple of pieces of Richlite and Rocklite and I know it isn't them but could remember what it was. it seems to work okay so far and cheers for the tip on finishing it, I hadn't figured that bit out yet.

Cheers

Jez

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2022 at 21:52, Jabba_the_gut said:

The 25" neck and strings would use normal tuners so the thing that started this whole project, the uke tuners, wouldn't be required. Can't be having that so I'll just have to make a second uke......

This is exactly the sort of can-do  and will-do attitude that we need in these desperate times. And of course that means another build diary 🥳

20 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've decided that the 'sound hole' in the body needs to be reshaped a little now I can see it with the neck. I've drawn on it in black marker and think that will look better

OASaLkR.jpg

Proportion is everything. 

• Like 1