Why become a member? ×

Roxy Music - the Spinal Tap for bassists

Clarky

48 minutes ago, Skinny said:

Did they do that song with the nifty extended instrumental intro? the first track on Manifesto. I had to listen to that when I saw this thread. 

Also called Manifesto. 

That and Stranded are my favourite Roxy albums. Surprised there's nothing from Stranded on the setlist.

20 hours ago, toneknob said:

I'm counting Phil Manzanera as a "Roxy muso"

He was, as was Eno

But Mackay, Ferry, and Thompson missing ?   I suppose some bands are back on the circuit without any original members and still call themselves by their original name,

but for me,  thats Trigger's broom.

Roxy with just 2 members just isnt Roxy

Kevsy71 of this parish once sent me this link off the back of a Roxy discussion - well worth a read… https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/people-drifted-off-bryan-ferry-on-roxy-music-s-many-bass-players-28139/ 

(apologies, I don’t know how to get it to, erm, link?!)

Edited by Old Man Riva

4 hours ago, Sonic_Groove said:

Yes a Great bit of Alan Spenner, Youtube of track below (Not live because Roxy didn't usually use the studio bassist on tour (Cost?)

I also Like all the John Gustafson Albums

Yeah, amazing playing. Gary Tibbs is also credited for bass on Manifesto (the album) but I can't find individual per-song credits. Any idea who played on which songs? They're both pretty handy.

11 hours ago, Sonic_Groove said:

Yes a Great bit of Alan Spenner, Youtube of track below (Not live because Roxy didn't usually use the studio bassist on tour (Cost?)

I also Like all the John Gustafson Albums

Alan is certainly on the High Road live album and numerous Frèjus videos on YouTube… what a groove to lead into a classic Johnny Gus bassline!

• Like 1

On 16/10/2022 at 15:43, Old Man Riva said:

Kevsy71 of this parish once sent me this link off the back of a Roxy discussion - well worth a read… https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/people-drifted-off-bryan-ferry-on-roxy-music-s-many-bass-players-28139/ 

(apologies, I don’t know how to get it to, erm, link?!)

Indeed Mick! I'm still trying to nail Re-make/Re-model... some superb basslines on the early albums, and I need to listen more to Manifesto and beyond...

That link in full: https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/people-drifted-off-bryan-ferry-on-roxy-music-s-many-bass-players-28139/

• Like 1