Why become a member? ×

Thomann Tease

stewblack

Tuned and plugged in...

For £202 delivered this is simply ridiculous value!

Stuck it thru a couple of eq pedals (Colourbox v.2 which to be fair makes everything sound good and a Spark Booster -4 knob version which just elevated the basic sound and would work well as an always on unit with this bass in place of a 2B eq a la OBP-1 or Sadowsky type unit. They both added added more to a fundamentally decent J bass sound.

• Like 4

Today one of my students brought the purple jazz to the lesson. In my opinion, it’s a beautiful piece of crap. Looks good but sounds awful. Low output pickups, terrible bridge and not a nice tone. The neck tough it’s not bad, the binding and the fret ends are well finished. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, AngeR said:

Today one of my students brought the purple jazz to the lesson. In my opinion, it’s a beautiful piece of crap. Looks good but sounds awful. Low output pickups, terrible bridge and not a nice tone. The neck tough it’s not bad, the binding and the fret ends are well finished. 

Hilarious 

8 hours ago, AngeR said:

Fair enough if you're not impressed but if I was your student I'd be super happy with a bass which feels as good as the HB. When I was learning cheap basses were really just that - cheap and poor quality, terrible intonation and often quite difficult to set up correctly. I have encountered none of this with this admittedly new bass. Time will tell.

Now onto other considerations... Will I change out the electronics? Maybe as I'd quite like some Bartolini's or some other brad I may happen to prefere but I'll be gigging it this Friday and Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AngeR said:

You certainly may be right, and tone is subjective. However, when I had a HB JB75, which I imagine would have the same pickups, I was not under the impression that outpot was low for an alnico pickup. So I wonder if there might have been a setup issue in terms of strings-pickups distance which may be affecting tone as well

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

You certainly may be right, and tone is subjective. However, when I had a HB JB75, which I imagine would have the same pickups, I was not under the impression that outpot was low for an alnico pickup. So I wonder if there might have been a setup issue in terms of strings-pickups distance which may be affecting tone as well

Yes, I had a HB jazz, and the output of that was fine (pretty similar to the Geddy Lee Jazz I had). If it wasn't for the weight I would still have it, it played very well and sounded good live.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AngeR said:

I'm surprised you say the bridge is terrible. Sure, it's an inexpensive vintage-style affair and not exactly a hipshot or hi-mass babicz or omega. But I would expect a Wilkinson bridge to be more than adequate.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, AngeR said:

So your a teacher which makes you an expert right? 🤣

How many of your hours teaching would it take you to buy that bass?

If you could get the materials for free (which you can't) How many man hours would it take you to make a bass that good or better?

Are you sure you have not let brand snobbery cloud your judgement?

My father (who was massively well qualified) always said those who can do! Those who can't teach!

Was he talking about you per chance?

Gift horses and mouths come to mind!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Do Not Feed The Trolls, a moot point now, unfortunately :(

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Do Not Feed The Trolls, a moot point now, unfortunately :(

Sorry I am not up to speed with the short cuts but |I get the point now. Thankyou

My point was simply ‘word play’ - the chat about the hardware and specifically the bridge whereas the teacher failed to recognise the Gotoh tuners which made their way into the products actual name. 

I was just having some fun but you’re right the DNFTT acronym should only mean one thing and I should have said Do Not Forget The Tuners. There’s no place for fun on basschat. 

As you were…

Edited by krispn

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

My point was simply ‘word play’ - the chat about the hardware and specifically the bridge whereas the teacher failed to recognise the Gotoh tuners which made their way into the products actual name. 

I was just having some fun but you’re right the DFTT acronym should only mean one thing. There’s no place for fun on basschat. 

As you were…

Easy, tiger.  Your reply did seem out of sync and it had me scratching my head too as to its relevance.  I guess I'm a bad guy now too, yeah?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’m really sorry if someone is offended by from what I said. Actually, it’s just my opinion. I’m not telling that anyone that buys this bass is stupid or something… for me, doesn’t even come close to Sire (Sire are far from perfect too). 

Here’s my point:

- the bridge was terrible because when you hit hard the E and G strings the saddles move around, other cheap bridges don’t

- the neck pickup has a significant low output comparing with the bridge one (it’s like on a jazz bass you have the neck pickup at 50% and the bridge at 100%)

- actually, I did the setup on this bass and part of my daily work, it’s repairing guitars (setup, fret levelling, changing electronics and many other things) so I might know something 

Funny thing that there’s people who is offended by an opinion based on a recent exeperience. 

My student was really happy with the bass, for me that’s the important thing. 

I would buy it? Hell no! 

Again, that’s only my opinion.