Why become a member? ×

Apparently…..it isn’t a job

ARGH

2 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

"lo fei gibetto a me de le mie case."

“I made my own house be my gallows.”

Dante Alighieri - Dante's Inferno.

I think a little consistency in thoughts and process would be advisable. You clearly have something to contribute but are a bit vague and sporadic in your presentation of ideas.

On 11/10/2022 at 10:35, Tim2291 said:

£31.5 k is apparently the average household income in the UK, not an individual. The average will always be completely wrong for most though, like a one size fits all, in actual barely anyone actually fits. There are people earning far more than the average, there are many earning dead on the average, but there are a lot of people who earn far far below that average.

That's why people should use the median salary, 50% of people earn less, 50% earn more.

The median average salary for all workers in the UK is £25,971.

37 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's why people should use the median salary, 50% of people earn less, 50% earn more.

The median average salary for all workers in the UK is £25,971.

Precisely the issue! That figure sounds a lot more realistic, unfortunately that does then mean that based on the UK average house price of £286 K in June... people are earning 10 times less than the price of property.

At first You must be so professional that every wants to hear You playing everywhere and that is not so easy that it sounds. So if can play covers and some original songs, You will never call yourself doing it as a full time job. Also money, who will want to pay a good money to middle class musician. 

32 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I think I will call it a day with any further discussion as you are a bit all over the place with sources, references, time lines etc

'Report' button is your friend. I've been busy with it of late. Try it, maybe..? :friends:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

“Modern British behave as if intelligence were some sort of hideous deformity.”

Frank Zappa.

If you're going to use nothing but quotes, at least make them accurate. If you start completely changing their point willy-nilly, your 'argument' instantly loses all credibility. You may as well change all their "will"s to "won't"s and "is"s to "isn't"s. In fact, how do we know that you haven't?

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/246567-modern-americans-behave-as-if-intelligence-were-some-sort-of

image.thumb.png.3ae481539e822246bb9b4950cc8142a9.png

Edited by Rich

10 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Crispin Mills is the epitome of middle class, and someone thought Kula Shaker were worth a  contract.

Pink Floyd, Queen?

I know a few middle class musicians making decent money. One thing I would say is they are phenomenal. By contrast I know lots of fairly average middle class people and some outright incompetent ones making far better money in other industries.

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Pink Floyd, Queen?

I know a few middle class musicians making decent money. One thing I would say is they are phenomenal. By contrast I know lots of fairly average middle class people and some outright incompetent ones making far better money in other industries.

Pink Floyd and Queen were all professionals, when they start getting good money.

9 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Pink Floyd and Queen were all professionals, when they start getting good money.

To be fair earning good money and being a professional kind of go together. The guys I know that earn a reasonable living in music would definitely be classed as being professional and at the top of their game. Not an easy path to take. 

Edited by tegs07
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rich said:

If you're going to use nothing but quotes, at least make them accurate. If you start completely changing their point willy-nilly, your 'argument' instantly loses all credibility. You may as well change all their "will"s to "won't"s and "is"s to "isn't"s. In fact, how do we know that you haven't?

They need updating. We have surpassed America in that respect...

13 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

How did we get from "it isn't a real job" to UK and Global economic policies. ? :facepalm:

You have a nap in the conservatory and this is what happens. Retirement is a bummer. :laugh1:

Dave

By route of average wage vs house prices and the difficulties faced by musicians I believe. One of the drawbacks of living in a country that has a core belief that house price inflation is sacrosanct and should be celebrated and promoted at all costs is that eventually wages can’t keep up with house prices.

I grew up on an estate built for railway workers and their families. It was largely council, then became largely privately owned. Fast forward to 2022 and you would need a combined house-hold income of around £80K a year to live in an ex-council house. 

I doubt if there are that many railway workers or full time musicians living there now.

Edit: In response to the confused emoji I have found as areas become gentrified much of the creative elements move out as the well heeled move in. The place I grew up in was a dump but the local music scene was excellent.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1