Why become a member? ×

Most universal bass in all type of music from Your ears.

nilorius

I saw it on kijiji , but dawdled and a friend snapped it up. I messaged him that I was going to breakdown and bid on it , he told me he just got it home. Several weeks later he flipped it to me at cost. He bought another headless bass. Said there was only room in the stable for one headless bass.
I like it !
It’s surprisingly balanced (didn’t expect that) comfortable to play , nice neck , sounds good.

And recently I spotted an even rarer Riverhead Jupiter bass by Headway on kijiji and suggested my friend go for it. Silly good price. 
He got it. 

• Like 1

I would have said Jazz or P, but I’ve never played a Fender 5 string version of either that was worth a damn (maybe the Roscoe Beck) and the “super jazz” types like Sadowski are brilliant all-rounders, so maybe I’d have to go with something like that.

I play rock and a Thumb or SR5 has been my go-to before the ACG turned up, so if your asking personally, a late 80s German built Thumb or a 20th Anni SR5 please, and my ACG fretless Krell.

Half of You are blaiming me that i used the word ''unicorn'' rather than ''universal'', but i clearly explain that at that moment i meant these two words as the same, so excuse me to those who took it so painfully and didn't understand. Now, i wish You will not ask me any more about this mistical, sensational problem. Please take my excuse. Thanks guys!!! Keep writing about Your ''universal'' bass opinions.

Edited by nilorius
  • Confused 2

If I had to go on compliments for sound, from band leaders and other bassists, it would have to be this, Yamaha SBV550. I have an SBV500 too. I've played Fender/MusicMan/Warwick in those same bands. "I think you should play that all the time", from two bandleaders, so that's what i did for quite a while.

21534966_YamahaSBV550.jpg.97836526c217eb7698aed0b60fece1a7.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msb said:

That is one pretty Samurai , I have the SBV500 in the pale yellow.

5C52FDA6-38B2-46B1-A0BA-A7260ED4EE6C.jpeg

Nice. I've got one in red. The ceramic pickups are excellent I've found, when I used to swap between a Yamaha TRB5 onstage which had the internal trim pots goosed as well as the external eq, there wasn't a very big difference between the output levels to adjust to. The tone pot is an odd one, it takes off some top but seems to highlight some lower mids at the same time. The neck I find really nice too, and the softer feeling tension. I'm a fan, I wouldn't sell them. The 500 sounds like a jazz bass characteristic without the high end sizzle to me. Mellower sort of jazz bass.

Just now, msb said:

I used to go looking for them , there were always several in Japan , the odd one in the US , sometimes one in the UK or Australia. Never here in Canada , so when one popped up in Toronto I got it.

That sea foam green 550 I posted earlier was imported. The 550 was only for the Japanese market apparently.

21 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I'm sure that's a big part of the reason I pick it up and play it quite a bit, it doesn't feel like you're carting the full hog around. 

I’ve mostly moved to short scales , but the Sam is comfortable to play.

22 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

'Unicorn' as a mythical beast is usually taken as a metaphor for 'rare', the opposite of 'universal' when it means 'everywhere'.

As i explained before - at that moment i thought these words pretty the same. I was wrong, but still there are people calling the instruments - unicorn.

Just now, nilorius said:

As i explained before - at that moment i thought these words pretty the same. I was wrong, but still there are people calling the instruments - unicorn.

Sorry I missed that. It's fascinating how the same thing can have different symbolic meanings in different cultures TBH.

5 hours ago, nilorius said:

Half of You are blaiming me that i used the word ''unicorn'' rather than ''universal'', but i clearly explain that at that moment i meant these two words as the same, so excuse me to those who took it so painfully and didn't understand. Now, i wish You will not ask me any more about this mistical, sensational problem. Please take my excuse. Thanks guys!!! Keep writing about Your ''universal'' bass opinions.

Instead of being so salty and upset that you were corrected, why not try appreciating the lesson learnt? If I went on a Latvian speaking forum and made a fundamental error in my use of the language, I wouldn't start being petulant when corrected. 

Edited by AinsleyWalker

10 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Instead of being so salty and upset that you were corrected, why not try appreciating the lesson learnt? If I went on a Latvian speaking forum and made a fundamental error in my use of the language, I wouldn't start being petulant when corrected. 

Seems like you feel and perfectly know what unicorn really is and mean, which i doubt, so better keep cool ''collaborator''.

Once again your coming across rude with your comments and it seems like your trolling with your lack of understanding of the English language. 
Maybe your using Google translate so your not fully understanding what your saying. 

16 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Seems like you feel and perfectly know what unicorn really is and mean, which i doubt, so better keep cool ''collaborator''.

Your move “Tiger” 

7 hours ago, nilorius said:

Although if you do want a unicorn bass, a Sei Flamboyant is pretty close.

image.png.92347144a215dc5d37b8a0406a744a9e.png

how-to-draw-unicorn-head.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nilorius said:

You have been given the correct meaning, in the most polite of ways. Yet you continue to attack people who are trying to help you. Maybe you should learn to accept your mistakes, and be grateful for help?

What makes you doubt that this meaning is correct as you seem to be persisting with your incorrect assumption?

What do you think it means exactly? 

The commonly accepted definition (one could almost say universal - hah!) of a unicorn is something so rare and precious as to be virtually unobtainable.

Plenty of posters on this thread have indicated that they already have the bass they consider appropriate for all kinds of music - ie universal, myself included. Most of these are not unicorns and are in fact generally very common -  P-bass, J-bass etc...

Edited by BreadBin