Why become a member? ×

D'Addario XT coated vs D'Addario NYXL on a P bass

musicbassman

Hi peeps,

I bought a set of D'Addario NYXL rounds about 4 weeks ago for a P bass and was pretty pleased with them, so I thought I'd use D'Addario rounds again for my other P. Only this time I bought a set of XT coated rounds, to see what they were like.

Big mistake. The XT coated sounded like grunged up 5 year old roundwounds straight from the pack, and haven't got any better , so they're off again after just one gig. Big disappointment.

Anyone else tried these ?

I ordered some a while back, then read the reviews, none of which were favourable so I sent them back.

A great shame really as in general I find D’Addario strings very nice to play, would have been great if they lived up to the expectations but many of the reviewers said that out of the pack they just sounded like dead rounds so they were going back to their Elixirs - which is what I currently use.

• Like 1

I love Elixirs on my basses, but they don’t do 40 - 100, which is all my Warlock gets along with. I love the D’Addario NYXLs on my skinny stringers (really dislike Elixirs on them) and was thinking of trying the D’Addario coated on the Warlock but, again, I couldn’t find the gauge I was after. So I thought about trying them on the basses that usually get Elixirs, but after seeing this thread I don’t think I’ll bother.

• Like 1