Why become a member? ×

Hartke hd112 vs Aguilar SL 112

nilorius

2 minutes ago, nilorius said:

I currently own Aguilar TH500 head and 2 x Hartke hydrive HD112. I think for an update to 2 Aguilar SL 112. I want your opinion is it money wourth as Aguilar is more expensive.

Sorry, I've heard neither so I can't comment. Why do you want to change? What do you hope for with the change?

28 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I have the Hartke. It produces a great tone at home, but gets buried at a gig. At that point, I have to crank the mids and lose the toneI was after. I wouldn’t depend on it except di’d or in a small venue.

But what do You think about SL112 ?

I can only comment on the SL112 as I haven't used a Hartke.  I find the SL112 to have a very polished, rounded tone with very full bottom-end.  The horn is smooth and I haven't found it to be harsh or brittle - treble is defined and contains a reasonable amount of air.  I tend to scoop mids a little but generally, find the mids in the SL112 to be present, focused and articulate.  The cab is extremely light but appears to be nicely constructed and finished.  Alongside the Bergantino HD210, the SL112 is one of my preferred cabs - the latter works beautifully with fretted or fretless.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nilorius said:

Seems like, no one cares !!!

Probably because we don't. We'll happily offer advice if we think we can say anything helpful, but it's probably best not to demand instant responses.

Compare them side by side. We aren't you and don't know your preferences. Fwiw, I'd say the Hartke, with its hybrid aluminium cone, may well be more mid-focused and a little brighter sounding than the Aguilar. Aguilar products tend to be voiced more towards a smoother, fuller sound (you can adjust for this via eq to an extent, of course).

But as I said, we can't know which you would prefer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

The SL12 maybe slightly better, but to me, i would stick with what you are using.....you would be spending money for the sake of it.

Ok, thanks. I allready thought that sl112 is more than twice in price vs HD112 and selling hd112 would not give me much in complete buying 2 new sl112. As i never tried them before, i think i will stay with my hd112. 

Dood used to use two HD112s, his style of playing requires clarity in all registers so, he would be a great person to ask for some advice from. I have an HX112, it's really cool and I'm on the hunt for another. I like the tweeter and the ability to change the ohms setting on a single cab. Don't know how to tag him in but will try @Dood

• Thanks 1

I had a pair of Aguilar SL112s a couple of years ago and I was a Hartke endorsee too, so I have a little bit of background in each camp.  I just felt that a pair of 1x12s was the way I wanted to go and once you get an idea in your head...

Irrespective of the Hartke Hydrives I used (1x15/4x10/2x10 - sorry not the 1x12), I found them all quite bright and they suited my desired tone ('gritty/driven') so based off that, I wouldn't really expect a pair of 1x12s to differ from that significantly - it's simply what they do and they do it very well.

I owned a pair of Aguilars, too - a bit of a vanity purchase - I just figured these would be a decent upgrade from a Barefaced Big One.  To be honest, they didn't suit what I was doing.  They were very hi-fi, quite a bit bassy and lacked a lot of the top end that the horns in the Hydrives (or the 6" Barefaced tweeter) provided.  At the time, I just thought there was something wrong with them, but the horns were working in both cabinets, but the effect was very subtle.  I sold them on.

Right now, I'm running a single Darkglass 1x12.  If I ever have the desire to go back to full time gigging/band, I'd probably get another one of these.  It's quite lovely.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I had a pair of Aguilar SL112s a couple of years ago and I was a Hartke endorsee too, so I have a little bit of background in each camp.  I just felt that a pair of 1x12s was the way I wanted to go and once you get an idea in your head...

Irrespective of the Hartke Hydrives I used (1x15/4x10/2x10 - sorry not the 1x12), I found them all quite bright and they suited my desired tone ('gritty/driven') so based off that, I wouldn't really expect a pair of 1x12s to differ from that significantly - it's simply what they do and they do it very well.

I owned a pair of Aguilars, too - a bit of a vanity purchase - I just figured these would be a decent upgrade from a Barefaced Big One.  To be honest, they didn't suit what I was doing.  They were very hi-fi, quite a bit bassy and lacked a lot of the top end that the horns in the Hydrives (or the 6" Barefaced tweeter) provided.  At the time, I just thought there was something wrong with them, but the horns were working in both cabinets, but the effect was very subtle.  I sold them on.

Right now, I'm running a single Darkglass 1x12.  If I ever have the desire to go back to full time gigging/band, I'd probably get another one of these.  It's quite lovely.

Those are of interest to me. :D