Why become a member? ×

Small Practice Amp - PJB or Trace Elliot 1x8 Combo

Gully35

Hi everyone. Quick question..Just looking a small practice amp for home living room use that doesn't take up much room (annoying wife) and when she is not there can turn it up a little bit to annoy the neighbours (not too much).

I don't have anywhere in NI to try either of the above so have to go from recommendations from here and sound clips from Youtube. The Trace Elliot Elf seems a good bit louder than the PJB. I was a bit concerned that the PJB might sound like you are playing through your phone. Looks great though.

I have a Barefaced One10 and Ampeg PF-20T currently, which is pure butter.  But just want something a little smaller for when the kids are in bed, doesn't take up too much room but can be turned up a little bit when I like.

Thanks,

Wayne

I don't see what advantage you would have over a one10 - small and superb sounding.  I use one of mine for quiet home practice, rehearsals and small pub gigs.

Anyway, the PJB gear is excellent.  That would be my choice.  Not cheap though!  The Markbass 6" or 8" combos would also fit the bill at a cheaper price.  They also sound good for home use.

Frank.

• Like 1

I have a Fender rumble 15, had it ages (might be a v1) you can get them used for less than £50  Fleabay /marketplace etc.

I've found them to be really good, fairly rudimentary , maybe thats the appeal.

They have a headphone socket, line in (RCA's) and OK three band 3eq, single 8" I think, and fairly compact.

I've had loads of practice amp over the years everything from modelling to tube preamps , but somehow this one seems to get the most use a home. Dunno, worth a try if you can get once locally or cheap. 

Not my vid, but you get the idea.

I've not used either of your suggestions but by all accounts the PJB has a great all round sound. It may well have a flatter response in the bottom octave than an 8 but at the expense of efficiency and ultimately volume.

I'm using a different system for this purpose. A Warwick Gnome (TC BAM or an Elf would work as well) with a 6" speaker. It's tuned to give a very respectable volume and a flat response down to 80Hz (there is very little actual bass 40-80Hz coming out of a bass pickup) It has a very satisfying sound, light agile and detailed, which is great for practice as the detail is what you need to hear nd the lack of subsonics reduces the noise carried through floors and walls. If you are handy with wood all you need to know is here House Jam Micro Cab - Amps and Cabs - Basschat https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/455858-house-jam-micro-cab/

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I will check out the rumble. Not keen on Markbass had bad experience with little mark iii.

The elf 1x8 combo is £440 online.

I was looking at the PJB double 4. But after watching YouTube videos I think the Cub ii might be a better model. It’s slightly more expensive than the Elf combo.

Hmmm, decisions decisions.

I'm a PJB fan and user. However, a Cub or Double 4 is expensive for something that will be used purely for practice (as is the small Elf combo you mention). Whilst it's nice to have a great sounding (and looking) low volume rig for practice, might it be more economic to get a small - 1x10 or 1x8 - cab to use with your main amp for practice and keep the volume down. If money is no object, then obviously that won't concern you.

Buying a PJB combo could also work out more expensive than you thought. I bought a PJB combo (a Flightcase) for practice and small, wine bar type gigs.. I found I liked the sound so much that I became dissatisfied with my previous main rig. I ended up buying several more PJB cabs and a new head and selling the old rig.

As you say, decisions, decisions. Have fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

I'm a PJB fan and user. However, a Cub or Double 4 is expensive for something that will be used purely for practice (as is the small Elf combo you mention). Whilst it's nice to have a great sounding (and looking) low volume rig for practice, might it be more economic to get a small - 1x10 or 1x8 - cab to use with your main amp for practice and keep the volume down. If money is no object, then obviously that won't concern you.

Buying a PJB combo could also work out more expensive than you thought. I bought a PJB combo (a Flightcase) for practice and small, wine bar type gigs.. I found I liked the sound so much that I became dissatisfied with my previous main rig. I ended up buying several more PJB cabs and a new head and selling the old rig.

As you say, decisions, decisions. Have fun.

Lol, I know what you mean. When got my Barefaced One10 it blew me away. A Two10 is on my list. Amazing cabs.

I agree yes, they are expensive but it’s my thing. Not into cars or anything.

Just want a good amp for practice that the Mrs won’t mind sitting in the living room. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, orangepeelneil said:

I have a Fender rumble 15, had it ages (might be a v1) you can get them used for less than £50  Fleabay /marketplace etc.

I've found them to be really good, fairly rudimentary , maybe thats the appeal.

They have a headphone socket, line in (RCA's) and OK three band 3eq, single 8" I think, and fairly compact.

I've had loads of practice amp over the years everything from modelling to tube preamps , but somehow this one seems to get the most use a home. Dunno, worth a try if you can get once locally or cheap. 

Not my vid, but you get the idea.

Yes!  I forgot about the Fender Rumble 15.  I had one a few years ago and it was excellent for home practice - not up to gigging though.  Good call.

Frank.

34 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

That Ampeg/BF combination is a winner. You’ll struggle to match that sound with anything more compact.

It’s great for recording too. I’d love to try the PF-50T to see if there’s any difference in sound.

3 hours ago, machinehead said:

Yes!  I forgot about the Fender Rumble 15.  I had one a few years ago and it was excellent for home practice - not up to gigging though.  Good call.

Frank.

I have a Fender Rumble LT25 (with built in programmable effects) which I picked up almost new for £120. As with the Rumble 15 it wouldn’t pass muster at a gig but it’s more than adequate for home practice. It sits unobtrusively next to the sofa behind a small coffee table.

0A93431B-018D-4D42-9289-AEB001D26192.jpeg

9A9860F2-7C33-414E-B096-BD3B22F356C6.jpeg

• Like 2