Why become a member? ×

NBD - '66 and Squier Mustang

ped

On 19/08/2022 at 15:12, ped said:

Yeah it sounds fantastic. I think the 'proper' P pickup gives it a stronger fundamental and a fuller P sound, whereas the Mustang P pickup sounds a bit more like a Jazz bass front pickup sort of P sound, if you get what I mean.

I suppose back in the 70s people were less precious about early Fenders so they just had at it - fair enough if you ask me; certainly the rear pickup on this gives the bass a really growly sound.

That said I'm definitely now looking at other variations on the Mustang; Pawn Shop etc - I mean I should really have at least one of each, and I know you'll agree 

Love my Pawn Shop model (2nd one I've owned, never should have sold the first)

• Like 4

Yeah I’d like a pawn shop although I’m not sure the sound is ‘me’ - but obviously I need to complete the collection 😂 its true they seem quite rare in the UK. There was one in Germany for £700 ish recently

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martthebass said:

Loving the Pawn Shop Mustang.  Been looking for one for a while but they are either stupidly expensive or overseas.  One day, one day...

6 minutes ago, ped said:

Yeah I’d like a pawn shop although I’m not sure the sound is ‘me’ - but obviously I need to complete the collection 😂 its true they seem quite rare in the UK. There was one in Germany for £700 ish recently

Just mod one yourself. This guy originally fitted a Serek B90 in the mid position, but then moved that back towards the bridge and fitted a Guild BS1 BiSonic type (he has also refinished this bass now).

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Just mod one yourself. This guy originally fitted a Serek B90 in the mid position, but then moved that back towards the bridge and fitted a Guild BS1 BiSonic type (he has also refinished this bass now).

That sounds great!

53 minutes ago, ped said:

I paid £850 for mine from a PMT when on tour recently.

First one @AndyTravissold me brand new in Dawsons when they were released for what must have been less than £500 and I remember struggling to shift it on here for like £400.

But glad to have one again and white is nicer than the red I had.

Video I’ve got old rounds on it, going into a Groove Tubes Ditto DI. Now it’s got flats on it but when I plug it in I need to take at least 9db off as it’s the hottest bass I own by a long way.

Currently I’m travelling a lot and it’s my only bass with me, inside a Gruv Gear Edge that goes in an SKB Bass Safe. I’ve got a radial stagebug, my iems, NUX MP-2 and a behringer p2 in the bag and I didn’t know it was possible to play bass with so little 😅

Very nice. I like that Dakota red finish on these basses. The mods seem to have been done with love and care too, that's not always the case with mods on "student level" Fenders from that era.

A few weeks ago I almost bought an unmodded one that was for sale in Italy at a vintage shop. Unfortunately the seller turned out kind of a rude *sshole in the first communication already, so I'll be waiting with patience for the right one that deserves my cash ;)

Enjoy 🙂

• Haha 1

Ah! Buying an instrument is such an emotional process, and we get so attached to them afterwards that it’s always a warning flag if things don’t look good from the off. 

I’ve just left my Mustang with my trusted guitar tech who’s going to change the controls to blend and tone, with a nice no-load tone pot and paper in oil capacitor which should give a really nice range of usable control. He’s also going to shield the cavities but each layer of paint takes 24hrs so I won’t see her for a week or so :(

Still, I think it’ll make the little mustang even more usable. I’ve properly fallen for it!!

I’ve just collected the Mustang from the workshop. The controls are now blend and no-load tone. 

Honestly it’s made a really big difference. Technically I’m not sure why but the blend gives a much more usable range of sounds which keeps each pickup ‘in play’ for a wider range. The front/back/both settings were distinct before but in between settings the favoured pickup would take over. But now I can really dial in a bit of snap from the J ‘to taste’ 

The tone control is fantastic - at full it’s as it was before, bright and cranky. From around 9 down to 3 there’s a really usable range with a nice sounding roll off as you go, then it gets very dark from 2-1. 

I’ve been playing my stingray for the last week whilst it been away and it felt massive! I got used to it again but now the mustang feels tiny again. I really missed it!