Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

JPJ

(I managed to get it for $100 Cdn on kijiji)

It’s quite a nice little head , but It’s pretty crammed in there. They should have given it a slightly bigger box , but at the time they were obsessed with miniaturization. The only catch with some SWR amps is that some parts are no longer available , so they can be difficult to repair. That said , they were quite famous for being very reliable , and everything in mine works just as it should.
They put a lot of stuff in that little head.

Edited by msb

3 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

@msb You've got more stuff than even I have and that's saying something!!

This is my little corner at the in-law’s , we spend much of our time there looking after my mother-in-law. I have another little practice rig at home , and then there’s the gigging gear … I’m kinda nerdy about amps and stuff. And I’m hooked on kijiji , I’ve picked up some great things there. Last weekend a slightly older Berg cab went for just under $400. That was a deal! 

• Like 1

I usually practice at a very quiet volume , and love playing around with the software and a tablet with the Darkglass e500. I should try Monique through the regular amp input there. Sometimes I do run her through that little GK MB150 combo through the effect return. And sometimes through the Headlite. She’s quite subtle at very low volume. 
Much of my recent practice time is taken up memorizing a night’s material for a little mostly instrumental project we’re working on. That’s usually done with headphones and that tiny Hotone. I never thought I’d spend the amount of time on that Hotone as I do.
Monique shines at rehearsal and gig levels. And completely transforms my hifi Berg head into an old school tube sounding rig. But one with 700 watts at 4 ohms. Or 500 watts with a single cab. And I don’t have to lug around a ninety pound tube head. 

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, msb said:

Mesas tend to be easy to dial in. Straightforward tone stack , and gain stages.

this is true. I keep my WD800 flat everywhere and just so love it, cuts through both my bands nicely. 

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

For me that would be the worst reason to take it to a gig. What happens if you can't get a tone out of it that works for your band?

To each their own I guess - aside from a Genz Benz I tried once (probably due to a lack of headroom), I've never been unable to get a decent (to my ears at least) tone out of an amp?

YMMV

Just doing some last minute adjustments before tonight's gig and therefore have a chance to take a reasonably good photo of the rig I'll be using.

IMG-0459.jpg

Eastwood Hooky Bass into Line6 Helix and then direct into the PA. The foldback at the venue we're playing tonight will be more then adequate, and so it'll save me from having to carry the RCF cab up two flights of steep and narrow stairs.

Also pictured is our drummer and second synth player.

• Like 3

Sometimes the rig of choice for the weekend is the only rig available. An impromptu jam/gig at a friends party/barbecue saturday evening happened at his garden studio for the barbecue attendees. I once owned the ABM400 410H he now uses in the studio. It's changed hands over the last few years amongst the local bass playing population and has found its forte as a studio amp that doesn't get carted around anymore. Probably a good thing as it weighs about the same as a small elephant. Forgot how good the old school mosfet powered Ashdown ABM400's sound. Silky smooth tones with a hint of sparkle from the tube pre-amp and a very useable sub octaver. 

IMG_1951.thumb.jpeg.b886d78b8083e17735d0aed86ee2e2d1.jpeg

• Like 3

Another outing for the Ashdown Five Fifteen minirig at this weekend's outdoor / beer garden gig. As I go through the PA anyway, the amp is really just there as onstage  monitoring for me, and because Mr Lead Guitar prefers to hear the bass coming from behind him rather than through his monitor, so I don't need the power of the good ol' MAG300 combo and find the minirig easier to lug around.

red lion rig.jpg

• Like 3

On 14/03/2023 at 15:03, msb said:

I’m back to the practice rig for several days , much of the time will be using headphones and the little Hotone amp , but this morning for a change fired up the HeadLite. It’s not a bad little head , sounds fine at low volume with the little PhilJones C2. Spending a surprising amount of time playing the HiFlier.

2C4598E5-E8E2-4AB6-972A-7C8F1621BDCA.jpeg

Says a lot for the Hotone that you have gear like that, but still use one!