Why become a member? ×

Dropping the bass strings a full tone

Dusty

Hi all,

Im seeking some help as our new guitarist and singer has his guitar dropped a full tone to ease his vocals.

What do I need to do to my bass to keep the string tensions and heights in order ? I use 45-105s 
Hope that makes sense 

Thanks 

Dusty

I drop down my E string to D for a few songs during our set and it's ok - feels maybe a bit floppy and I certainly wouldn't want to go any lower (I also use 45-105 usually).  I put up with it because it's only for a couple of songs.  Downtuning ALL the strings might have more repercussions in terms of overall string floppiness and neck relief (neck might get straighter because the strings aren't pulling against the truss rod as much so I think the truss rod might need to be loosened).

I'm sure someone will be along soon who has actually done this and has got better advice than I can offer.

18 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I drop down my E string to D for a few songs during our set and it's ok - feels maybe a bit floppy and I certainly wouldn't want to go any lower (I also use 45-105 usually).  I put up with it because it's only for a couple of songs.  Downtuning ALL the strings might have more repercussions in terms of overall string floppiness and neck relief (neck might get straighter because the strings aren't pulling against the truss rod as much so I think the truss rod might need to be loosened).

I'm sure someone will be along soon who has actually done this and has got better advice than I can offer.

I hope so neepheid. 

I used to play a full step down when I first joined my band as it suited the vocalist, and at the time I was using EXL/EPS 220-5 sets (40/60/75/95/125) on standard 34" scale basses - they didn't feel floppy and I thought that they sounded a bit less muddy than heavier strings. The singer changed and I switched to playing 4 strings down only half a step with EXL/EPS 190 sets (40/60/80/100) which worked equally nicely, and then a few years later the singer changed again and I went back to standard with EXL/EPS 165s (45/65/85/105). So contrary to most advice I've ever read, I actually played lighter sets for lower tuning.

All I'd be doing in your position is putting a fresh set of whatever you normally use on, tuning and stretching them in to D standard, maybe adjusting the neck very slightly if needed to compensate for a little less tension and just seeing how you get on.

Dropping a normal .105 string set down a full step to D equals tension wise pretty close to that of a .095 set in regular E standard tuning (or that is to be more precisely a gauge .095 - .075 - .055 - .040 set of strings tuned in regular E standard tuning matches the .107 balanced tension D'Addario EXL 170B set of strings, which is gauge .107 - .080 - .060 - .045, very closely when tuned one whole step down to D standard tuning).

I would personally use a the EXL 170B, gauge .107 low E,  balanced tension set for D standard tuning, but I happen to like the relatively thin gauge and low tension of a .095 set set of strings for regular E standard tuning.

You can find out which strings would match tension wise to your current set and personal preferences in general by using this string tension calculator (this calculator uses D'Addario strings as the source (might vary a bit between different brands), and mind string gauge, "String Diameter", is typed in this way: For example .107 or .095 e.t.c, and the tuning, "Desired Note", with the octave number after the given note: For example low E string would be E1 and high G string would be G2 e.t.c) : https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_tension_from_size.htm   

If you don't know you can see the octave numbers of different notes here :

https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I play in d standard with my ozzy Trib. 
I find the tension is just about perfect using roto swing bass 50-110 and comparable with 45-105 tuned in e. 

Thats what I’ve done, going from 45-105 to 50-110 using D’Addario NYXL. Well pleased 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 14:40, Dusty said:

Hi all,

Im seeking some help as our new guitarist and singer has his guitar dropped a full tone to ease his vocals.

What do I need to do to my bass to keep the string tensions and heights in order ? I use 45-105s 
Hope that makes sense 

Thanks 

Dusty

There's so much conflicting commentary, it would probably be easier to just tune to EADG and find a new singer.

First I'd check whether I need to tune down too. Sometimes you do but other times you don't.

Last night I was playing a 4-string for a couple of songs that I originally wrote on a 5-string and did use a few lower notes... I just played those bits differently on the 4-string and still sounded good.

• Like 1