Why become a member? ×

NBD G&L CLF L1000 750 5er

Owen

I bought a MM SUB 5 becuase I fancied a bit of single pickup Leo. I do like a FSO. I had it painted all lovely. I went to a bass bash and for the 2nd time had my head turned by an L1000. People who really care will tell me that the original L1000 and the CLF design L1000 are subtly different. I like both of them. Luke and Keir, you are both to blame. Of course, I was safe because the L1000 was not available as a 5er. You cannot spell bass without a B (come at me, haters). And then they went and announced one with a B. I was weak in the face of beauty. And it has a subtler 4+1 headstock that I find easier on the eye. And then this kind of teal colour. If it came with a white pickup it would be better still. 36 year old Owen in 2002 would be horrified, but hey ho. 

I am really enjoying it. The body is a bit more compact than the US J5 I have also picked up. It all fits me really nicely and that excessive chromage is really floating my boat. It is made of some lightweight wood (Empress aka Pauolina. Sp?) but is still sonically plenty hefty. It weighs in at 8.8lbs. I have never owned a brand new bass in my life. It is not something I intend to make a habit of, but I thought the chances of one of these in this colour combo appearing on here were pretty remote so I went for it. I know that everything comes through if you wait long enough. But life is short. Share my joy.20220716_213002.thumb.jpg.aaaded31dc6ca7de0d027dc004e66fe7.jpg20220716_213012.thumb.jpg.a03dcb3d7d7c5cac2274e970dc26cae1.jpg20220716_213023.thumb.jpg.e18c7bdbac3d04992308d023ca538e36.jpg

Edited by Owen
  • Like 16

11 hours ago, Owen said:

It is made of some lightweight wood (Empress aka Pauolina. Sp?) but is still sonically plenty hefty. It weighs in at 8.8lbs

For what it's worth, the G&L site lists four combinations for the CLF Research L-1000 Series 750

Screenshot_20220717-074544_Chrome.jpg.43e96690a7cbfecb3e510f22d30f39e6.jpg

I've never seen Empress / Pawlonia listed for a CLF Research bass — at the moment it's not even an official option for the Build To Order basses.

At the moment Sweetwater have 4 × basswood L-2500 Series 750, ranging 9.7 lb – 10.5 lbs, and a basswood L-1000 Series 750 at 9.6 lb — so all meaningfully heavier than yours.

I'm never surprised at what Greg manages to get out of G&L, but their being  persuaded to vary the ingredients of a CLF Research model is definitely news. 

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

an amazingly light piece of basswood

At least, unusually light for the supply of it G&L has used in the past. Usually their Swamp Ash basses are more reliable for being lighter.

Speaking of which, Greg has just listed a Swamp Ash one of these, natural finish, and 8.9 lbs

7237-BODY-1200.jpg?v=1657855234

Edited by Ricky Rioli

That's a beauty Owen. The turquoise finish really is something

to be honest I kind of miss the OMG setting now that my L-1000 has gone. One of, if not THE best instantly playable fingerstyle tones I've ever had from a bass.

When you say you've taken delivery of a J5 do you mean a Fender Jazz 5 or a G&L JB5? 

Keir

GuitarGuitar have a Fullerton Deluxe L2500 in jet black frost (basically a lightly textured matt black) is apparently just on 4Kgs (9lbs) so it’s possible to get lighter models, but many currently available seem to be north of 10lbs, which is disappointing given how many manufacturers now make genuinely lightweight basses.

3 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

That's a beauty Owen. The turquoise finish really is something

to be honest I kind of miss the OMG setting now that my L-1000 has gone. One of, if not THE best instantly playable fingerstyle tones I've ever had from a bass.

When you say you've taken delivery of a J5 do you mean a Fender Jazz 5 or a G&L JB5? 

Keir

It is Fender USA J5 which I have had painted in a mildly reliced CAR. 

44 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

GuitarGuitar have a Fullerton Deluxe L2500 in jet black frost (basically a lightly textured matt black) is apparently just on 4Kgs (9lbs) so it’s possible to get lighter models

The CLF Research Series 750 models have bigger bodies than the regular L-2500, though I haven't seen anyone taking a tape measure to them to say just how much bigger.

If you want a properly light L-2500, there are a few Build To Order ones in existence made of Empress. Looking at old adverts, they're around 7.9-8.2 lbs.

Edited by Ricky Rioli

I am now away and cannot weigh my bass, but I am certain that when I did it was sub 9lbs. I recall 8lbs 8ozs,  but I recall many things which turn out to be hazy. What I do know is that it is properly nice and I am very pleased with it. I might even look into 3D printing a cream pickup cover. One day. 

47 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The CLF Research Series 750 models have bigger bodies than the regular L-2500, though I haven't seen anyone taking a tape measure to them to say just how much bigger.

If you want a properly light L-2500, there are a few Build To Order ones in existence made of Empress. Looking at old adverts, they're around 7.9-8.2 lbs.

Ah, that's the rub, I'd love a CLF 750 5 in tangerine metallic. I did enquire about a custom order but the dealer asked and a week later no response... I asked G&L directly last year and they said about 6 months but also said they had never been so busy and were struggling to meet demand.

If they could rustle up one weighing 9lbs I'd go for it - they are a fair bit more expensive than the Fullerton Deluxe but come with a hard case instead of a (rather flimsy) gig bag and I prefer the CLF headstock and wider spacing.

• 1 month later...