Why become a member? ×

Music content on kids' TV... how it's changed (Sting & Genesis content, amongst others)

wateroftyne

*GRUMPY OLD BLOKE ALERT*

Here's an episode of Saturday morning TV staple Tiswas, from 1981.

Guests include Sting and Genesis.

Amongst the chaos, Sting chats about The Troubles in Northern Ireland, whether fans will accept his political content, and how his acting career fits in with The Police.

Genesis - with toddlers on their laps - chat about the studio they built, how self-producing has changed their sound, the introduction of Vari*lites into their stage show, and the impact of Phil's solo career on how Genesis write. The presenter even mentions that Phil has been working with John Martyn. 

This stuff was fed to almost all of the kids back then. Nowadays they have to find it, which (IMO) is a real shame.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• wateroftyne changed the title to Music content on kids' TV... how it's changed (Sting & Genesis content, amongst others)

I was 11 when this clip was broadcast but was more interested in the Phantom Flan Flinger and Spit the Dog than slots with the Police,  Genesis or any other pop stars.  I was also feeling the beginnings of an interest in females with Sally James a particular source 😁. In hindsight I think those two bands are a strange choice considering around that time kids would've probably been more interested in Shakin' Stevens or Adam and the Ants

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Just flipped through it and now see it doesn't have the best line up with Chris Tarrant, Bob Carolgees, Lenny Henry and John Gorman.  Happy saturday mornings.

Um, Sally James though.

• Like 2

Hmm, don't think the music segments in Tiswas were really that big an influence (certainly not in my school). 

Conversely, kids films these days do provide a rich soundtrack. My kids grew up with Pixar and DreamWorks films and picked up a wide appreciation of music from them.

• Like 1

I'm not even sure if there is an equivalent to Tiswas, Swap Shop or Saturday Superstore these days. My daughter never watched anything like that growing up. On TV it would have been things like IN the Night Garden or Peppa Pig, then as she got a bit older, stuff on You Tube.

On 14/07/2022 at 13:36, toneknob said:

Um, Sally James though.

no 'supporting undergarment', tight t-shirts, and frequesntly the recipient of deluges from buckets of water?

I'm doubting Chris Tarrant had quite the same effect on teenage girls?