Why become a member? ×

New Drums Day

DaytonaRik

Having started with an Alesis Crimson II kit to begin my drumming journey the time has come to progress to something a little more substantial.

After a 3 month wait, my Jobeky Compact Pro kit arrived this week and very nice it is too.  Finished in UK Drum Wrap's ultraMarine fade burl digital wrap with black hardware, the kit comprises 8"x6", 10"x7", 12"x8", 13"x10" and 14"x12" rack toms with a 22"x18" kick.   I already owned a 13"x3.5" Jobeky piccolo snare, and ordered a set of low volume cymbals to finish the kit off - 10" splash, 16" and 18" crashes, 16" china and a 20" ride.  Everything is mounted onto a 3 sided Gibraltar rack

Such an unbelievable difference sitting behind a full size kit instead of my little e-kit!  Worth the expense and the 3 month wait

All triggers are running through eDRUMin interfaces and triggering Slate Drums 5.5 running inside Reaper.

0B417F5E-EB74-49B9-AE2A-CBDF693EDBC1.JPG

85D7D455-825A-4BA8-8C91-1271D2F8FD24.JPG

830D5DE3-80DB-478D-B67E-722141E5ABDF.JPG

E268D643-82B5-4103-9388-6D49BD1AF186.JPG

FC0929AE-ABC2-4453-9018-3125600DB0CC.JPG

3B1AB611-6A4D-414F-B000-D899BE02F440.JPG

E913F8B2-1A0D-441B-A26F-62465D2EF87E.JPG

44096DA2-B913-4AE7-9305-931C9A8ED21E.JPG

8A51804D-A60E-4455-8271-8884A97D8A2D.JPG

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Do the drums function of useable acoustic drums too or are they damped in some way to reduce the noise?

They are actual wooden shells - but as to their musical virtue I can't comment.  The heads are mesh so prevent any resonance within the shells themselves...just a boink/doink!  I dare say that they could take a traditional skin - it would interesting to see how they actually sounded/functioned as an acoustic drum

1 hour ago, Jakester said:

Nice! That must have set you back a bit! 

Interesting module/brain solution. I presume the edrumin is a trigger MIDI interface over USB? 

Do you use that setup live?

Thanks!  It was definitely a financial splurge for the hardware but I figured that I can't take it with me 😉 That's before I even think about adding on the MacBook to run it all!!!! 🤣

Drums are a relatively new instrument for me (18 months) and I'm hoping to progress to live playing, but decided that I had to come away from the consumer/prosumer level gear to really progress in a more meaningful way.  This is really like sitting behind a full size kit - basically because it is!

You are correct in your assumption re the eDRUMin modules - they are MIDI conduits to the VST and come with a superb piece of software to calibrate your triggers - be they cymbals or shells - and set rim and rimshot thresholds, bell/edge/bow thresholds on the ride etc,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Nice. I've never seen a setup like that before, a full size kit designed just to trigger. Very interesting. 

There are at least 2 companies in the UK doing this @Doctor J - Jobeky and Diamond Drums.  There are also Dig Drums in Poland as well as Drum Tec in Germany, plus these and other companies offer internal triggers to convert acoustic kits into e-Kits.   I spent an age looking for a 5 x rack tom kit to convert and gave up so ordered my Jobeky kit and a few days a later a 5 x rack tom Sonor 3003 set popped up - typical!  Ah well - I'm not unhappy or disappointed with my Jobeky kit though ;)

On 08/07/2022 at 21:18, DaytonaRik said:

There are at least 2 companies in the UK doing this @Doctor J - Jobeky and Diamond Drums.  There are also Dig Drums in Poland as well as Drum Tec in Germany, plus these and other companies offer internal triggers to convert acoustic kits into e-Kits.   I spent an age looking for a 5 x rack tom kit to convert and gave up so ordered my Jobeky kit and a few days a later a 5 x rack tom Sonor 3003 set popped up - typical!  Ah well - I'm not unhappy or disappointed with my Jobeky kit though ;)

I’d love to have Jobeky install triggers into something really high end, like a USA Gretsch, and run that into a TD50 and presto - no more stage volume issues!

Zak Starkey has been using a DW set up as a trigger kit with the Who:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0ByZfrkbwmuyQAea2ea3WGNomQrcmCVRA9wxxfm9XWEqqacMyH8RAfTGBxcJ1Zopal&id=346120672546&__tn__=%2CO*F

11 hours ago, Jakester said:

I’d love to have Jobeky install triggers into something really high end, like a USA Gretsch, and run that into a TD50 and presto - no more stage volume issues!

Zak Starkey has been using a DW set up as a trigger kit with the Who:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0ByZfrkbwmuyQAea2ea3WGNomQrcmCVRA9wxxfm9XWEqqacMyH8RAfTGBxcJ1Zopal&id=346120672546&__tn__=%2CO*F

Whilst possible, there would be limited benefit (other that retaining the acoustic qualities if needed later) in this as there is no reliance on the tones produced by a high-end shell pack.  I know that Jobeky have actually produced replacement e-shell packs for well known artists endorsed by other brands to meet tour deadlines.

I believe that Frank Beard has also moved over to an e-kit for live performances, albeit with traditional cymbals.

8 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

Whilst possible, there would be limited benefit (other that retaining the acoustic qualities if needed later) in this as there is no reliance on the tones produced by a high-end shell pack. 

Yep, I know - just saying it would be a dream!

• Like 1

A drummer I worked with in the late 90s had a home brew version of this, with a small conventional kit that had been fitted with triggers and comprehensively damped inside the shells. It worked nicely for the band because even the significantly reduced acoustic sound of the drums was loud enough for us to hear on stage without needing the samples and synthesised sounds loud in the monitors. It also worked well for those members of the audience who listened with their eyes rather than their ears (usually other musicians) who consistently commented on how much better this drummer sounded even though he was triggering exactly the same sounds as his predecessor who used a more obviously electronic kit, as well as the sequencer we employed before that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaytonaRik said:

This is the Jobeky snare in use!  It's a loud 'doink'!

As you have already mentioned, I could trigger exactly the same samples using my Alesis 8" pads but this is just easier to play - everything is where it should be and it promotes proper technique.

Had a video but no sound 

• 2 months later...