Why become a member? ×

Show me your low watt valve rig !

Quilly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My "lo" wattage gig rig. 1978 Peavey Bass Combo MKIII Series amp. I mostly use Ashdown ABM 300's and 500's for gigging so this is comparatively low wattage. Saying that it grinds up there with amps allegedly way more powerful than 130 watts RMS 🤔

IMG_1014.jpeg

• Like 1

On 07/09/2022 at 22:52, ukulelelab said:

mid 60's wem er30 head and super 30 cab

37268066805_298339754d_c.thumb.jpg.744fe915996ec3bb411169913eadf48a.jpg

That is a new one on me. ER usually were Electric Guitar amps with BR being the bass designation. In saying that I am sure the  (warning SS content)ER40 and ER100 were designated Treble and Bass and my mate's band used them for Lead and Bass. 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 10:06, Chienmortbb said:

That is a new one on me. ER usually were Electric Guitar amps with BR being the bass designation. In saying that I am sure the  (warning SS content)ER40 and ER100 were designated Treble and Bass and my mate's band used them for Lead and Bass. 

ER30 heads are el84 valve heads, not SS like ER40 or ER100

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve asked here before about Bassman 50’s and if anyone actually gigs one, and the responses were mixed. 

But I picked this up this week and I’m going to give it a go. After collecting it, I drove straight to Martin Garton’s place (Gartone Amps), and he’s going to go right through it. Martin is primarily a bass player, and I’ve seen him gig a few times many years ago. He was using a Bassman 50 at the time, but tweaked to be more suitable for bass. He’s going to tune this one for me too. It’s going to be a few weeks till I have it back, but I’m quite looking forward to trying it.

Rob

4278EA86-2F8E-4EA3-8141-A8F1C7B08944.jpeg

• Like 6

Question: had a problem with a faulty speaker cable , I’m afraid my valve amp was probably running with no load for a few seconds . Everything seem ok now tho. Do you think I should get the amp checked out ? Is it possible I may have damaged the OT?

Edited by Quilly

11 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Question: had a problem with a faulty speaker cable , I’m afraid my valve amp was probably running with no load for a few seconds . Everything seem ok now tho. Do you think I should get the amp checked out ? Is it possible I may have damaged the OT?

A few seconds shouldn't matter if the cable was not connected or was open circuit. If the amp seems to be working ok now, then I think you have got away with it.

I think it's more serious if the cable short circuits, it might quickly emit the magic smoke at that point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quilly said:

It us a long time ago since I had a valve head but in my experience a few seconds or even minutes should not be a problem. The old adage comes to mind, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Is 100w still classed as low ?? 

Here you go CTM100 ( new 2022 version ) 7DBFE52F-8A4E-4CF8-89D3-734957FE6B80.thumb.jpeg.3025bb8addaec0c411041518421acd60.jpeg

Cool , I had one of the old ones , moved it on as it wasn’t getting much use. Great amps tho. Have they improved the EQ? That was tricky to get right .

Edited by Quilly

Just now, Quilly said:

Cool , I had one of the old ones , moved it on as it wasn’t getting much use. Great amps tho. Have they improved the EQ? That was tricky to get right .

The new look is only cosmetic so the same internals and design.

The EQ is basic but when you learn how it responds with the Mellow, Deep, Shift, Bright etc it really suits the amp and the tone 

At volume it’s more of a rock amp I think and it has such a lovely tone 

• Like 1