Why become a member? ×

Show me your low watt valve rig !

Quilly

• Quilly changed the title to Show me your low watt valve rig !
1 minute ago, Bunion said:

68561D0D-6D82-4946-9BBF-A87088D5924F.thumb.jpeg.97c6158e0ef00c95fcc1e6820a8cc5f0.jpeg
Not sure If 120 watts is a low power head. In regards to a lot of the usual suspects used nowadays and many older valve heads (300-400 watts)

I guess it is 😄

I was going to propose an upper limit of 100w but I’ll let this one slide …because it’s such a cool amp 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Proudly plagiarising the thread from talkbass to this side of the pond….

91D5C2E3-D439-46BD-B7FF-D5AC33A2411D.jpeg

967459D0-0075-4769-91AB-D4E085D88DAA.jpeg

How do those Schroeder cabs sound, not sure why but always been interested in trying them out 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bunion said:

How do those Schroeder cabs sound, not sure why but always been interested in trying them out 

Very clean , transparent cabs . Very sensitive also, so you can get a Big Bang out of a small head . That amp is just 30w but it’s hella loud through that cab. The one in the picture is a bit of a Frankenstein cab, one of the drivers blew and I replaced it with a commoner garden thromann brand 15” woofer, still plenty of top end from the existing full range driver and plenty of heft. 700w into 4ohm

Edited by Quilly

3 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Very clean , transparent cabs . Very sensitive also, so you can get a Big Bang out of a small head . That amp is just 30w but it’s hella loud through that cab. The one in the picture is a bit of a Frankenstein cab, one of the drivers blew and I replaced it with a commoner garden thromann brand 15” woofer, still plenty of top end from the existing full range driver and plenty of heft. 700w into 4ohm

I have a Greenboy fearless f112 that’s the same kind of thing but 900 watts into 4 ohms very clean, handles the low end like magic 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I have a Greenboy fearless f112 that’s the same kind of thing but 900 watts into 4 ohms very clean, handles the low end like magic 

I normally use a barefaced two10, I must keep an eye out for that brand though 

34 minutes ago, Quilly said:

That’s cool , what does it use ?

From memory, two or three 12AX7s in the pre, and a pair of 6L6s plus a couple of 12AX7s for driving and rectifying things in the power.

• Like 1

Beavis 77s

My setp-dad built 'Beavis' back in 1996 as part of an electronics course he was doing at the time and a couple of years before I picked up playing. Heavily rebuilt from a burned out Linear L50 chassis with the transformers and chassis being the only retained items, it essentially became a hot-rodded 50w Marshall using 3x ECC83 and a pair of EL34. I've had it modified a few times over the years including the addition of a master volume plus a change of output valves - it's had 6550s and KT88s although now, it has JJ KT77s and apparently makes about 60w.

Beavis is very musical and I have gigged it on many an occasion with it offering (just about!) enough power / volume for my needs before heading into 'Lemmy' territory. To be fair, in terms of power, it doesn't really feel like it was much less clout than my Fender 135. It became my first bass amp as my step-dad never really got on with it - he was a Fender / clean guitar player and Beavis didn't really do the 'chimey' thing particularly well although, looking back, it was probably the speakers he used it with more than anything. I made use of it with a pair of Goodmans Audiom loaded WEM 1x15" for bass duties although these days, it's paired with a JBL K140 loaded Ashton 1x15"..    

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 07/07/2022 at 12:30, Ed_S said:

From memory, two or three 12AX7s in the pre, and a pair of 6L6s plus a couple of 12AX7s for driving and rectifying things in the power.

The outputs are 6L6GC, the letters are important and 12AX7s have nothing whatsoever to do with rectification. Just trying for accuracy. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul

10 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

The outputs are 6L6GC, the letters are important and 12AX7s have nothing whatsoever to do with ratification. Just trying for accuracy. :)

I don't think I've ever seen a 6L6 anything-other-than-GC before, but you're right and I fully take your point. Do you find the other 6L6 variants used in amps? I've only had a Peavey 6505, a Mesa RectoVerb (which always sounds a bit rude to me) and the Classic 60 with valves from that family in them, so my experience is quite limited.

And the 12AX7s in the power amp... again true, I believe I was thinking of phase inverting and said rectifying. And even then I might still be wrong, but I think that's closer? I know one of the tubes in the set I bought had extra snake-oil rubbed on it for good luck, and I think it was that one 🙂

30 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

ratification

Autocorrection?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

Rectification it should have been!

In my tube case I have 6L6B, 6L6WGB, 6L6G, 6L6GT AND 5881 all from earlier versions of the 6L6GC.  These would not last long in an amp designed for the GC variant.

Oh yeah, of course, I'd forgotten about the 5881 - I've encountered those in a Marshall 9100. My back aches just thinking about it!