Why become a member? ×

The Joy of the Ray

Guest BassAdder27

Ergonomically and looks-wise I love them, and if I didn`t just expect to hear a Precision when I`m playing the `Ray would be the ideal bass for me. But anything other than a Precision sound in a band when I`m playing just sounds wrong to me and I can`t relax into it. Shame as I find the quality of them to be superior to the Precision, and when set up to my preference I find them easier to play too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have three guitars but only two get played- my Yamaha bb 734a, and my sterling 4 string Ray I bought early this year. 

To me, the yamaha is a much nicer guitar. Better build quality, nicer fretboard, and a much better looking guitar. On its own, it sounds glorious so I mainly play that at home. 

But the ray? When I play with my band, it does something the yamaha just can't do. It sounds phenomenal, and pushes the fender amp I use to do lovely things. That's the live guitar. 

I owned a 2005 5 string - one of the limited Buttermilk ones and it was lovely, but ultimately too heavy as I got older.

I'd love a 4 string special. Right at the beginning of the specials there were a few that actually got as light as 7lb. One day I'm hoping that me having enough money to buy one will line up with a 7lb one becoming available.

Knowing my luck it will be a bright yellow one. Urgh.

Natural with a rosewood board - like 'Nard's one - would be perfect. Classy, understated, fit in everywhere.

On 15/08/2022 at 14:08, Lozz196 said:

Ergonomically and looks-wise I love them, and if I didn`t just expect to hear a Precision when I`m playing the `Ray would be the ideal bass for me. But anything other than a Precision sound in a band when I`m playing just sounds wrong to me and I can`t relax into it. Shame as I find the quality of them to be superior to the Precision, and when set up to my preference I find them easier to play too.

The single coil selection on the shorty ‘Ray (neck facing coil) gets quite close to a P tone.

• Thanks 1

I have a regular Ray 3 band that’s about twenty years old ,I don’t really compare it to other basses , it’s got a unique thing going on . And I like it. 
I usually gig with something that’s more thumpy , but for home practice that Ray stays beside the couch.

48 minutes ago, msb said:

I have a regular Ray 3 band that’s about twenty years old ,I don’t really compare it to other basses , it’s got a unique thing going on . And I like it. 
I usually gig with something that’s more thumpy , but for home practice that Ray stays beside the couch.

Does it beg for treats too?