Why become a member? ×

Earworms

dave moffat

On 21/05/2022 at 09:16, SteveXFR said:

This morning Supernaut by Black Sabbath is in my head. No idea where that came from but I think I need to learn to play it.

Jason Newsted used to play a bit of that in his solos, and every time he played it wrong... makes my teeth itch.

• Haha 2

I get them every day too when I'm tired/unfocused. They are usually pleasant and when something terrible comes along, like "bittersweet symphony" or something else that causes annoyance I thankfully find them easy to replace with music I love that I can fade to silence when my brain awakes. The more resilient stuff may require knowing me, knowing you, which I like btw.

But.

Every time I see this topic I'm reminded of the worst ear worm ever for me and I hope never to be exposed to anything like it again.

There was this Russian song from the late 60s early 70s that I stumbled upon it on YouTube and found fascinatingly terrible and stupid and extremely funny about ten years ago. The video is so bizarre too and captivating in all the wrong ways.

That "song" bothered me for years as it popped up in my head whenever there was a silent moment at work or at home. It wouldn't stop. It just would not stop. I had to force it out by mentally playing music I love and know by heart and "turnimg up the volume".

I seriously suspect en evil science program is responsible for the song. I still have to block the song out just writing about the thing.

It is evil science. And terrible music. The video is quite amusing though. Mustn't think of it.

Maybe I've misunderstood the topic and it's not called ear worm when it gnaws at your brain. 

Not providing a link to the brainmushing thing. 

As a plus on the earworms thing I sometimes dream fantastic classical music.

Or maybe I'm an easily entertained idiot when I sleep. 

Yes. It is the last one isn't it. 

(Sorry for going on.)

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Not earworm but the cure. Peaches by the stranglers, no matter what the earworm it will aces it every time.

🎵 Millions of peaches, peaches for me. 

Millions of peaches, peaches for free. 

LOOK OUT! 🎵

Yeah that worked. 😂

Edited by Maude
Missing words, missing words.
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

The Flintstones theme tune because we're camping in Llanbedrog.

I just started typing 'why Llanbedrog' then got it halfway through 😆

Someone gave me the 1st series of The Flintstones and it has a completely different theme tune! Most disappointing.

Current earworm 'Boyfriends' by Richmond Fontaine... it's the guitar refrain.

At work it's usually the last song I hear in the van as we get to a job... today's was Coldplay, don't remember the tune name but again it was a catchy guitar refrain.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

🎵 Millions of peaches, peaches for me. 

Millions of peaches, peaches for free. 

LOOK OUT! 🎵

Yeah that worked. 😂

One of my all time favourites, but doesn’t cure earworm. But any video with ninja monkeys gets 10/10 from me.

7 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

One of my all time favourites, but doesn’t cure earworm. But any video with ninja monkeys gets 10/10 from me.

Which is one of your favourites, Presidents of USA or Stranglers? 

The thing that springs to my mind when I hear Presidents Peaches is my dad commenting when they were on Top of the Pops, in way that only people's dad's can, that if he eats any more peaches he's gonna sh!t himself. 😁

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Maude said:

Which is one of your favourites, Presidents of USA or Stranglers? 

The thing that springs to my mind when I hear Presidents Peaches is my dad commenting when they were on Top of the Pops, in way that only people's dad's can, that if he eats any more peaches he's gonna sh!t himself. 😁

Both! But stranglers didn’t have ninja monkeys

Edited by T-Bay