Why become a member? ×

Bassist Pet Peeves

15 minutes ago, Stu-khag said:

charity gigs where too many bands have been booked. 

being asked to turn up 3 hours before you are playing and then having to wait around whilst the other bands soundcheck. you then have to manage put your gear around theirs with no time for even a line check or tune up. 

Or when you wait around for three hours, patiently nipping out to feed the parking meter, then as you are to start playing are told there's no time left.

On 06/07/2022 at 14:35, Lozz196 said:

Yep, had that, at an outdoor gig in a field mikes from anywhere got told - whilst wheeling the cabs to the field - we’d have to watch our volume levels. Maybe too many bands do play as loud as possible but that was a rather quiet band, albeit with three 412s as the backline.

We got told we were too loud at a villager festival. Our sound guy (guitarist's dad) had to forcibly point out that standing in front of the PA wasn't the best place to see if the sound was too loud for the neighbouring houses 100m away.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stu-khag said:

being asked to turn up 3 hours before you are playing and then having to wait around whilst the other bands soundcheck. you then have to manage put your gear around theirs with no time for even a line check or tune up. 

Bands who play to the end of their slot as if they can clear the stage in 0 minutes.

• Like 2

On 04/05/2022 at 19:23, deepbass5 said:

Keyboard players who do solo gigs and love bass on their amps, but are not capable of listening and setting there amp differently in a band setting where "hey guys i'm the bass player" and if i compete with you its going to be too loud.

second point would be, you are now inaudible and nobody in the band has noticed your part is missing. 

At a final pre-gig run through with a recent band, I mimed almost the entire set to try to make the point, and the keyboard player just said "but if i don't play in that octave it will just sound thin and gutless". I tried to explain that "if the bass was doing the job it's there for..........", but I got nowhere, so I played the gig then quit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, neilp said:

At a final pre-gig run through with a recent band, I mimed almost the entire set to try to make the point, and the keyboard player just said "but if i don't play in that octave it will just sound thin and gutless". I tried to explain that "if the bass was doing the job it's there for..........", but I got nowhere, so I played the gig then quit.

Yahh - I think some keyboard players can't help learning the whole piece, just because they can, and it is difficult to get through, if they are not in that space "we just need you to do the string parts and brass stabs" unless it is a keyboard feature.

Edited by deepbass5

7 hours ago, Stu-khag said:

But it’s for charridy mate and if you don’t do it you’re a miserable c*$t

3A5CE701-DB77-43A1-8398-E5F6D325146D.gif

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TimR said:

Band members who complain you're not playing any gigs, but don't go out and get any and don't provide dates for when they're free...

...and then aren't available when you get offered a gig.

Also:

Band members who complain you're not playing any gigs, but don't go out and get any and when you DO get offered a gig they're either suddenly unavailable or won't do it because it's not paying enough. It's a pub band FFS, not Pink Floyd. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Also:

Band members who complain you're not playing any gigs, but don't go out and get any and when you DO get offered a gig they're either suddenly unavailable or won't do it because it's not paying enough. It's a pub band FFS, not Pink Floyd. 

Yea band members that have unreasonable expectations regarding pay for a cover band in a pub on a Friday night, I’m totally against doing gigs for free on principle but in reality it’s just drinking/petrol money is all than your can expect 

• Like 2