Why become a member? ×

Peerless Appreciation Thread

Grahambythesea

Peerless have made great guitars and basses for other companies, Epiphone, Gretchen etc.  They have made some great basses under their own name so show us what you have - Retromatic, Smoke, Bassmaster Player, anything else?B017E867-A98A-4C95-9F57-4C604B00E378.thumb.jpeg.a0ff3f3736ada9765b862b2b6c736c8f.jpegD5EC2ED3-8555-4565-9376-94BF5F1DF750.thumb.jpeg.00b6e3df5cae09d8a2f75b9e62f995fe.jpeg,

Edited by Grahambythesea
Correction to text
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I've never heard of them either, but it's a very nice bass.

Is the chicken-head switch a frequency selection or tone switch? What are the units? Ohms?

I play a Brawley, and I've only ever come across another one in the UK, which I now also own. Maybe we should start a club/self help group for brand-lonely bassists?

43 minutes ago, Richard R said:

https://www.premierguitar.com/peerless-guitars-retromatic-b2-bass-review

Found this. Not quite the same, but great sounding.

I used to have a Peerless Retromatic B2 bass in ivory finish. The guitarist in the band where I used it had the guitar version. We looked good. If it had been 30" scale I would still have it.

On the left here ...

P1010283.thumb.JPG.b30dc7fa51a2c03940ee8749982268a5.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 01/10/2022 at 18:54, Richard R said:

I've never heard of them either, but it's a very nice bass.

Is the chicken-head switch a frequency selection or tone switch? What are the units? Ohms?

I play a Brawley, and I've only ever come across another one in the UK, which I now also own. Maybe we should start a club/self help group for brand-lonely bassists?

On 01/10/2022 at 19:52, EssentialTension said:

It changes the tone. I don't know if it's resistance or capacitance. I aways used it in position one.

There's a passive transformer in there, the chickenhead switch changes output impedance, so yes Ohm, and with that tone of the passive low impedance pickup, pretty unique approach to passive bass circuitry.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 20/01/2024 at 19:00, Baloney Balderdash said:

There's a passive transformer in there, the chickenhead switch changes output impedance, so yes Ohm, and with that tone of the passive low impedance pickup, pretty unique approach to passive bass circuitry.

Thanks for the technical info. Never really understood that. It was of course created by none other than Les Paul as this was originally the Gibson Les Paul Signature bass from the seventies and was a low impedance pickup. Jack Casady rediscovered them and the Epiphone made by Peerless was the result.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Correction