Why become a member? ×

Limelight

nash

7 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

It's quite something, isn't it? I've never seen wiring done in such a way. When he sent me those pictures I remember thinking 'that's what you call attention to detail'.

I would suggest a 'who's got the cleanest cavity' thread but I can foresee issues! 🙂

It looks like a metal earthing sleeve over the wire. Very clever. Alpher also do improbably clean looms in there stuff. 
I fixed up a molested ibanez roadster a few days ago and went from spaghetti that didn’t work to spaghetti that did! 

On 24/03/2022 at 15:02, Skin Lewis said:

I've owned a Limelight, a Nash, and a Fender, all Ps, all at the same time, and there's not a lot between them really. I moved the Limelight on, mainly because it had a Jazz neck, which I didn't get along with, and kept the other two. The aged hardware on the Limelight, particularly the bridge, was just plain rusty, and was difficult to adjust, although I believe this has been rectified on more recent builds, and you can specify new hardware if you want. Also, the loom on mine was very untidy, although it functioned as it should. The Nash is on another level on details like that, but is more expensive. The good thing about the Limelight is that Mark will build you what you want, and you can talk directly to him. A custom build from Nash would take a long time to materialise, although Bass Direct have a few in stock at the moment.  

YMMV.

I asked them to build me a '66 dot & bound Jazz. They could, but only if I sourced the dot & bound neck.

20 hours ago, NikNik said:

I asked them to build me a '66 dot & bound Jazz. They could, but only if I sourced the dot & bound neck.

Yeah this seems to be hard to find. I send this to Mark and he went through what can be done. Think I’ll send him some lollipop tuners. 

“Shell pink body light/medium relic - OK

Single split P (thinking one from Monty’s) - can you send me a link to it? I would recommend starting with ours though, that way you can put it back to standard if you wanted to sell it in the future

Parchment scratch plate - OK

Hipshot Kickass bridge (nickel) - OK

Hipshot lollypop ultralite tuners - we can't get these, only Gotoh resolite tuners

RW fretboard - OK

White binding with dots (if possible) - we can't get these necks anymore, sorry

P nut width 40-42mm - choice is 38mm (Jazz) or 41.7mm (P)

Back of the neck to be fully relic’d to the wood on the main playing area - ok”

25 minutes ago, nash said:

Back of the neck to be fully relic’d to the wood on the main playing area

Strangely that’s one thing that I don’t like, I know the neck would be worn if it was a heavy relic and kinda matches but it’s put me off buying a few custom shops before, I like a clean neck 🙂

54 minutes ago, nash said:

Yeah this seems to be hard to find. I send this to Mark and he went through what can be done. Think I’ll send him some lollipop tuners. 

“Shell pink body light/medium relic - OK

Single split P (thinking one from Monty’s) - can you send me a link to it? I would recommend starting with ours though, that way you can put it back to standard if you wanted to sell it in the future

Parchment scratch plate - OK

Hipshot Kickass bridge (nickel) - OK

Hipshot lollypop ultralite tuners - we can't get these, only Gotoh resolite tuners

RW fretboard - OK

White binding with dots (if possible) - we can't get these necks anymore, sorry

P nut width 40-42mm - choice is 38mm (Jazz) or 41.7mm (P)

Back of the neck to be fully relic’d to the wood on the main playing area - ok”

FWIW, lovely as the oval ultralites are, they’d look a bit odd on a Limelight (IMO).

Resolites are equally lovely, and look authentic (but aren’t oval, obv.)

32 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Strangely that’s one thing that I don’t like, I know the neck would be worn if it was a heavy relic and kinda matches but it’s put me off buying a few custom shops before, I like a clean neck 🙂

I really don’t like the feel of a gloss neck anymore. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

FWIW, lovely as the oval ultralites are, they’d look a bit odd on a Limelight (IMO).

Resolites are equally lovely, and look authentic (but aren’t oval, obv.)

You’re probably right tbh. 

On 25/03/2022 at 11:41, BlueMoon said:

Like you, I've never been a fan of overdone relicing .......and, yes, I find some are just way over the top. The Bravewood that I have has lovely crazed nitro lacquer but no bare bodywork or big dings in the body. 

Agree.  I quite fancy a Limelight on the one hand, and word is generally positive about how they play.

On the other, to someone who has been playing guitar, and latterly bass, for over 4 decades and who has relic'd up a couple by the simple expedient of using them for over 4 decades I find the Limelight relicing looks very artificial.  More traumatised in a major natural disaster than a proper relic. Others, including Fender at a price, do the relic bit far, far more convincingly.

18 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Agree.  I quite fancy a Limelight on the one hand, and word is generally positive about how they play.

On the other, to someone who has been playing guitar, and latterly bass, for over 4 decades and who has relic'd up a couple by the simple expedient of using them for over 4 decades I find the Limelight relicing looks very artificial.  More traumatised in a major natural disaster than a proper relic. Others, including Fender at a price, do the relic bit far, far more convincingly.

Natural disaster..?

PC131717.thumb.jpg.f892fd45cd417616629d8b2b85dc2680.jpg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I dunno I've seen some Fenders which look completely fake relicing too - I think the problem is that given a choice folk go "for the more is better" - when as @wateroftyne has demonstraited sometimes less is way way more

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

I dunno I've seen some Fenders which look completely fake relicing too - I think the problem is that given a choice folk go "for the more is better" - when as @wateroftyne has demonstraited sometimes less is way way more

Agree. That’s basically the body relic’ing I’d have with a neck down to bare wood and oiled on the back. The only time I like a lot is if there’s another finish underneath. Like oly white over pink paisley. 

On 26/03/2022 at 09:14, Steve Browning said:

It's quite something, isn't it? I've never seen wiring done in such a way. When he sent me those pictures I remember thinking 'that's what you call attention to detail'.

I would suggest a 'who's got the cleanest cavity' thread but I can foresee issues! 🙂

One time, at Heathrow Customs....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

One time, at Heathrow Customs....

Funnily enough, when I first joined what was (then) Customs and Excise, I heard a good few such stories. Friday afternoons might be spent watching the seized films while drinking the seized booze. My immediate boss told me of dealing with The High Numbers. Gives some idea of the era!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Funnily enough, when I first joined what was (then) Customs and Excise, I heard a good few such stories. Friday afternoons might be spent watching the seized films while drinking the seized booze. My immediate boss told me of dealing with The High Numbers. Gives some idea of the era!

I remember some seasoned touring guys calling it 'Thiefrow'! Airside baggage-handlers opening up cases and having a plink or even nicking the guitar.

• Like 1

That's in commission as in commissioned officer, not a cut of the profits!!

Forgive me. I derailed the thread.

I'd always liked the look of Limelight basses but I don't believe you can get anything other than a relic (even a light one). I have dealt with Mark and found him to be a thoroughly decent chap.

Edited by Steve Browning

• 4 weeks later...