Why become a member? ×

finishes and number of strings

Greg Edwards69

I'm not sure if this is a new thing or whether I've simply not noticed it before. But lately, I've noticed there's a trend for offering different finishes depending on the number of strings.

For example, on Squier's new contemporary range, the 4 string jazz comes in either Sky Burst Metallic and Shoreline Gold, whilst the 5 string comes in Gunmetal Metallic. 

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/squier_expands_contemporary_series_with_two_new_guitars_and_four_new_bass_models.html

I saw a similar thing recently when Charvel, released the San Dimas basses. They go a step further and change the finish depending on the pickups too.

PJIV black, white, lime green or blue.

PJV black or white

JJV red or dark green.

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/san-dimas-bass

Like I say, it may be something I've never noticed, and there's likely a financial reason for it.  But I'm sure it could be source of frustration where finish options are limited to the number of strings, and vice versa.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

I had noticed it was often the way with fender, as they regarded the 5 string as a separate product rather than the same product with another string (which is odd as they build them like the same product with another string).

Ibanez have also often been guilty of that, but moreso now with the EHBs and the Talmans.

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I'm not sure if this is a new thing or whether I've simply not noticed it before. But lately, I've noticed there's a trend for offering different finishes depending on the number of strings.

For example, on Squier's new contemporary range, the 4 string jazz comes in either Sky Burst Metallic and Shoreline Gold, whilst the 5 string comes in Gunmetal Metallic. 

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/squier_expands_contemporary_series_with_two_new_guitars_and_four_new_bass_models.html

I saw a similar thing recently when Charvel, released the San Dimas basses. They go a step further and change the finish depending on the pickups too.

PJIV black, white, lime green or blue.

PJV black or white

JJV red or dark green.

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/san-dimas-bass

Like I say, it may be something I've never noticed, and there's likely a financial reason for it.  But I'm sure it could be source of frustration where finish options are limited to the number of strings, and vice versa.

How bizarre! I was just thinking about this VERY thing this morning. Being the the market for a 5 string as the covers band I've joined play most songs in a lower key due to the singer, I was looking at the contemporary jazz 5 and thinking how the colour is horrible and would rather have it in the sky blue colour the 4-string comes in.

Rules it out entirely for me. Very frustrating as the specs for that bass are ridiculous for the money.

2 hours ago, 40hz said:

How bizarre! I was just thinking about this VERY thing this morning. Being the the market for a 5 string as the covers band I've joined play most songs in a lower key due to the singer, I was looking at the contemporary jazz 5 and thinking how the colour is horrible and would rather have it in the sky blue colour the 4-string comes in.

Rules it out entirely for me. Very frustrating as the specs for that bass are ridiculous for the money.

It's not just me then!  In the case of the Charvel's I mentioned, I'd much rather have a 4 string in the deep red or racing green the 5 string JJ comes in rather than the lurid lime green or blue.

I have to say, I also prefer maple fretboards these days, which limits one's choice even further. When I bought my G&L Tribute JB-2, they offered 4 finished, but only 2 with maple and the other 2 with rosewood - luckily I like the sunburst option.  It would be great if manufacturers offered an online or in store configurator of stock parts to make your own, even on the cheaper lines. I'm sure many people would pay a small premium for the facility.

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

You can either have it cheap or in a myriad of colours. Not both.

Economies of scale, even when buying lacquer.

It’s not just at the cheap end of the market that this trend is happening though. 

american ultra series 4 string jazz. 4 colours and maple board

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/jazz-bass/american-ultra-jazz-bass/0199022790.html

american ultra series 5 string jazz.  3 colours (only 2 of which are the same as the 4 string) and rosewood board. 
https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/jazz-bass/american-ultra-jazz-bass-v/0199030712.html

Edited by Greg Edwards69

On 18/03/2022 at 14:07, 40hz said:

They have it in more finishes though, just not in that Anniversary Edition. The model has been around since at least 2020 already, and there have been several finishes. There was a FSR (factory special run) in Satin Black, Midnight Satin, Burgundy Satin and Olive Satin that was promoted in the US as a "Sweetwater exclusive" run, but I've seen them pop up at European stores too and they can still be found brand new in several online stores. 

Personally I like the Pearl White and Shoreline Gold finishes best, but I've only seen those on the 4-string. The Olive Satin is the next best thing I guess, looks quite cool and also a bit gold-like. 

Edited by LeftyJ

16 hours ago, Jack said:

Ebmm have cut their colours right down. I think the bongo comes in 2. The stingray has what you're talking about too, different finishes per string number. 

At the moment the EBMM site has the same 9 colours for both 4- and 5-string Stingray.