Why become a member? ×

Something to plug my BG and my EUB into so I don't have to keep unplugging one from my amp to plug in the other ?.

6stringbassist

I have an EBS MicroBass II preamp/DI. It has two channels (with tone controls - so you [i]might[/i] find it colours your tone even when set flat), a footswitch for switching between the two, effects loop, DI etc.

It's a much more expensive option than a simple line-switcher. I like the Lehle products for switching. The Little Lehle would do it, although again it's more expensive than the Boss.

The advantage of the MicroBass is that you can adjust the gain for each channel so that the levels of each bass are more or less matched, meaning you don't have to mess around with your amp in between songs.

I don't know if your amp has two channels with separate eqs (possibly not given your request) but if not you might want to include something like a boss eq pedal in the chain from either BG or EUB. It's unlikely the same amp eq settings will suit both instruments. Hence the more sophisticated devices like radial bassbone and the EBS micro bass. BTW, I think there's something similar to those two from MXR too.

Thanks for all of your replies, I'm going to get one of these two

[url="http://www.redonionsolutions.co.uk/AB/Selector.htm"]http://www.redonionsolutions.co.uk/AB/Selector.htm[/url]

[url="http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=35&osCsid=qkih18ar9mqvuje6pj0r2qubq2"]http://www.loop-master.com/product_info.ph...vuje6pj0r2qubq2[/url]

Just need to decide which one.

My ultimate solution for this was the Alembic F2B preamp - not cheap, and a rack mount box! However - one thing I did learn was this. I always assumed that I'd need to make radical eq changes, as the bass guitar always sounds so "weedy" when used next to upright. But, I had a dual channel/switching DI pedal made for a banjo player with a gain adjustment for each (by John at Orchid electronics). When I tried it out with BG/EUB I found that getting the relative gains properly set up virtually removes the need for major eq'ing of either - it really surprised me.

[quote name='BassBod' post='460056' date='Apr 11 2009, 06:26 PM']My ultimate solution for this was the Alembic F2B preamp - not cheap, and a rack mount box! However - one thing I did learn was this. I always assumed that I'd need to make radical eq changes, as the bass guitar always sounds so "weedy" when used next to upright. But, I had a dual channel/switching DI pedal made for a banjo player with a gain adjustment for each (by John at Orchid electronics). When I tried it out with BG/EUB I found that getting the relative gains properly set up virtually removes the need for major eq'ing of either - it really surprised me.[/quote]

What EUB were you using ?

I'm lucky I guess, I tend to keep my amp EQ flat with my BG and use the onboard preamp. And on the EUB I just keep the treble turned all the way off, and a slight bass boost. I don't seem to have a problem with the gain settings either.
But I've only used it at home so far, apart from last Sunday where I only used it on just a couple of songs. So maybe it's worth considering getting something more versatile, with independant gain controls for each channel.

Something like this perhaps -

[url="http://www.smart-distribution.co.uk/page5/page102/page38/page38.html"]http://www.smart-distribution.co.uk/page5/...e38/page38.html[/url]

Edited by 6stringbassist

The Clifton EUB has a Realist pickup, which I take a direct signal from (no preamp). Usually sounds fine flat, no need for much eq, although I will take some low end off for larger venues if I can. The balance issue is really when I use passive jazz bass together with EUB - I find the Jbass needs a fair bit of help (low end boost and some mid-cut) to sound good next to the EUB. However, being able to accurately set the relative gains for each seems to reduce the need for eq quite a bit.

That Solstice device looks exactly the business if you'd like different settings for each instrument, simple and effective.

Recently I've been plugging my bass guitar into the normal input on an Eden wt330, so it can make use of the preamp in that. The EUB goes into a Bass Pod XT Live, where I use the EQ, volume pedal and amp/speaker modelling; the latter really helps to get a good tone for bowed work, which soometimes sounds a bit harsh through an ordinary preamp. The output from the Pod then goes into the auxilliary input of the wt330 amplifier, bypassing the preamp. The wt330 then automatically feeds both instruments into the power amp. I can adjust relative volumes levels between instruments with the output level on the Pod. Muting of each instrument can be done with the preamp mute on the wt330 and the mute pedal on the Pod respectively.

With this I get two independent preamps, similar to something like the Solstice. It is a versatile and great sounding setup, but perhaps a little on the complex side compared with something like the Solstice, which keeps everything in one place.

Jennifer

I just got one of [url="http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/115024/PV®%206.cfm"]these[/url] and it is perfect. I can use my Wal, Godin, and acoustic bass and tenor guitars on a gig through one amp and they all sound great. £20 off eBay.

[quote name='walbassist' post='460561' date='Apr 12 2009, 02:14 PM']I just got one of [url="http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/115024/PV®%206.cfm"]these[/url] and it is perfect. I can use my Wal, Godin, and acoustic bass and tenor guitars on a gig through one amp and they all sound great. £20 off eBay.[/quote]

That's something I hadn't thought about, thanks !.

I'm using a Fender Fretless Jazz into a Radial Bassbone channel 2 (with EQ) and an NS WAV 4 EUB through a K&K preamp (with EQ) in to channel 1 of the Bassbone. I keep the EQ pretty much flat, just adjust for anything odd in the acoustics of the room, but this setup makes it very easy to swap instruments with no change in volume by simply kicking one switch. However, I guess the Bassbone is probably not the cheapest way of doing this.

Edited by EssentialTension

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='459224' date='Apr 10 2009, 12:50 PM']As the contender for the longest title on Basschat says, I'm after something to enable me to do this, something that won't affect my sound.

My amp is a single channel Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0.

Thanks.[/quote]

Markbass LMK, failing that a Behringer AB100
Cheap and stupid battery changing process but it does have two gain controls. no eq though but what do you want for £30 ? :)
[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/30362/"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/30362/[/url]

[quote name='OldGit' post='470723' date='Apr 23 2009, 01:55 PM']Markbass LMK, failing that a Behringer AB100
Cheap and stupid battery changing process but it does have two gain controls. no eq though but what do you want for £30 ? :)[/quote]
I think I've mentioned before that the AB100 doesn't have two gain controls when you're using it with two inputs and one output, it just has one overall gain control. The two gain controls work only when you're using one input and two outputs. Mine's also gone a bit hissy.

[quote name='tauzero' post='470928' date='Apr 23 2009, 04:54 PM']I think I've mentioned before that the AB100 doesn't have two gain controls when you're using it with two inputs and one output, it just has one overall gain control. The two gain controls work only when you're using one input and two outputs. Mine's also gone a bit hissy.[/quote]

er mine does ..

oh and they are rubbish (IMHO)... the power connection is dire and as I mentioned changing the battery needs about 10 minutes, decent light and a bawdle or somesuch ..
Bonkers design.

Edited by OldGit

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='459224' date='Apr 10 2009, 01:50 PM']As the contender for the longest title on Basschat says, I'm after something to enable me to do this, something that won't affect my sound.

My amp is a single channel Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0.

Thanks.[/quote]

Less gear is more sound. You've got active basses with volume controls - no need to have extra volume controls, EQ etc. So my best shot is a simple passive A-B switch. I use a Morley ABY but the Lehle is really very good. Using a (cheap) mixer or Boss pedals are IMO the worst thing possible for your bass sound...

[quote name='tauzero' post='470928' date='Apr 23 2009, 04:54 PM']I think I've mentioned before that the AB100 doesn't have two gain controls when you're using it with two inputs and one output, it just has one overall gain control. The two gain controls work only when you're using one input and two outputs. Mine's also gone a bit hissy.[/quote]

[quote name='OldGit' post='470930' date='Apr 23 2009, 05:02 PM']er mine does ..[/quote]
Are you absolutely sure about that? As in function, rather than appearance.

There are two knobs, but the B level only has any effect when you're using it with one input and two outputs. The A level always changes the level of the A output (the one and only output when you're using it with two ins and one out) but the level controls are for the output levels, not the input, so the A level control will change the level of both inputs.