Why become a member? ×

Gallien Kruger MB series, info needed.

evan47

I had two MB series Combos. The second one I had MB212 combo was fan cooled, and the fan was very loud. Played on low volume im my room I was always unhappy with the very loud fan, and I sold it because of that. 

On the other hand, I like GK sound so much to buy a new Fusion series combo. It is absolutely brilliant!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Assembled in the US from components sourced in Asia. That's not the same thing as made in the US, not that anything is, any more than is anything made in GB.

Yeah. My thoughts exactly.

Assembled.

• Like 1

I own 2 for venue size: mb115II and 112II. Best tone stack ever designed, and I've had them all, passive I believe. GK is designed and assembled in USA. Fan super quiet. The early mb series combos have ceramic magnet speakers, the cabs project well, and the combos are light. The new combos aren't the same: neo speakers, tone stack is not same it's now like everyone else, they caved to trends. Bad move imo.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2022 at 18:54, AndyTravis said:

Yeah. My thoughts exactly.

Assembled.

Correct. It is just marketing and actually they assemble the amp from Chinese or Korean made components. However, the quality can be still equally good as anything else that was made in the USA or UK from domestic components (if that business still exist…)

• Like 1

I had an MB500, very loud, very small and very light Made in America.

Think they only produce the MB200 and Fusion models now.

Recently bought a GK Legacy 1200. Great amp.

Mesa Boogie and GK are still made in America. Whereas most other "big name" brands now build in China etc.

Call me old fashioned, but it's a real shame that outsourcing and margin maximisation have seen so much manufacturing disappear from UK, USA & Europe. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2022 at 11:55, Mortone said:

I own 2 for venue size: mb115II and 112II. Best tone stack ever designed, and I've had them all, passive I believe. GK is designed and assembled in USA. Fan super quiet. The early mb series combos have ceramic magnet speakers, the cabs project well, and the combos are light. The new combos aren't the same: neo speakers, tone stack is not same it's now like everyone else, they caved to trends. Bad move imo.

Strangely, only the MB212 combo has neo speakers. The rest of the range still use ceramic.

https://www.gallien-krueger.com/mb-combos

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've used an MB500 210ii combo for a while now. Previously used very expensive amps (Bergantino/Glockenklang/Epifani/

EBS etc) happy enough with the sound and no fan noise issues (I don't think there is one 😂). As many of the posts above allude too, all the components for most amps cabs etc will be manufactured in Asia. 

I've just bought a CX115 as I'm now in a band with a couple of guitar "Heroes" 😂 so yet to try this at full 500 watts although it managed at 350.

20220331_194958.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 4