Why become a member? ×

Rooster isolated bass - What's the effect?

SteveXFR

I know the tune but can't recall the wooshy woosh bit on the top coming through to thicken the guitars. It sure isn't very loud in that track.

Maybe flanger helps with the prodigious attack, I never used one like that, but pretty sure the band mix would be fine with some overdrive and a bit of EQ.

But get a flanger anyway. Flanger is the nuts.

Edited by Downunderwonder
Autocorrecter

5 hours ago, Bolo said:

Sounds like there's a bit of chorus on the main signal, and they dubbed flanger/distortion for that part. You hear the main track continue nearly unaffected.

Chorus on the main part, and distorted flange on the section you reference, it sounds like the flanger is feeding the distortion, not the the other way round, as flanged distortion sounds different.

• Like 1

This was over on 'TalkBass' a few years back:

"I had always wondered how Mike got his tone on dirt, Well this is straight from Evan, the owner of Bass Northwest who was there, and whom I bought the amp from after Mikes Death;

I did work with Mike Starr and Alice In Chains on their first two studio albums. The tone you hear was from a Spector NS-2 bass, Ampeg SVT-II Amp Head, SVT-810E cabinet and on the Dirt album

I also used an ART SGX Nightbass in addition to the miked up cabinet and direct box.

Evan went further to say;
The ART SGX Nightbass was used with the regular direct box and the Ampeg SVT-II/SVT-810E amp system. I used the "Rickenfaker" preset and then tweaked it to have a bit more of a grindy tone.

That was blended with the clean direct box sound and the slight grindy Ampeg tone to get the sound that you hear on the Dirt album.
Actually, many of the songs on Dirt have the black Kramer Ferrington bass double tracked with the white Spector NS-2. I also sold both of those Basses to Mike.

As far as Mikes amp settings, they are as follows;
input, normal left side, vol=2.5 ultra low=out, post=out, bass=7, mid=6, mid freq=#5, treb=5, ultra hi=in, graphic=in"