Why become a member? ×

Bedroom amp for my son

GrimUpNorth

If you don’t want to enter the second hand market, the Ashdown amp you suggested in the first post will be absolutely fine.   You could get loads of other suggestions, I have a Roland Cube 30 and it’s a fantastic practice amp, but can’t go wrong with an Ashdown. 

As you say, in a years time (or less) he’ll be wanting a bigger beast, 

When I was 18 I bought a Trace Elliot 4 x 10” - my mum was extremely relieved when I moved out 😂

On 16/02/2022 at 21:07, Twincam said:

Do not get the peavey microbass. They are truly bad, in that they sound like a 90s alarm clock in fidelity or lack of. 

And also avoid the vox pathfinder bass amp. As that is truly awful in the same vain. 

I think a combo amp with a 10 inch speaker would be better than any with an 8 inch as they just reproduce bass better. This is not always true as there some great, but normally much more expensive combos with small speakers. But in a inexpensive combo I feel getting a larger combo with 10, 12 or even 15 is better even at modest volumes.

If your tone is bad because of the amp, at the very get go, then it's not very inspiring. 

I disagree.. Peavey gear is generally well made & i use a microbass combo as a practice amp.. I love it! .. it's very subjective this! ... We all experience things differently 

2 hours ago, GrimUpNorth said:

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  After looking at some of the various suggestions he decided he wanted a Fender Rumble LT25.....and we got one on eBay.

It's a year old and (so say) in excellent condition.

Next up is making sure it's all a ok when it lands.

It probably won’t come with a user manual but you can download it here: -

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/OM_2270100000_Rumble_LT25_English.pdf

• 1 month later...
On 16/02/2022 at 11:25, Lozz196 said:

They’ll all fit the bill nicely, but what music does your son like/play? If rock & metal he might want a sound with gain/drive so an amp with that capability would be good. I know the Fender Rumbles have on-board gain/drive, as do the Ampeg BA amps. 

I have the ampeg ba108

On 24/02/2022 at 20:30, GrimUpNorth said:

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  After looking at some of the various suggestions he decided he wanted a Fender Rumble LT25.....and we got one on eBay.

It's a year old and (so say) in excellent condition.

Next up is making sure it's all a ok when it lands.

The old joke:

Johnny gets home from his 1st bass lesson. Mum enquires how it went. ''Today I learned 8th notes on the E''. Next week it's ''8th notes on the A''. The following week Johnny rolls in at 10.30pm. ''WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?". ''Today I learned the turnaround and had my first gig down at the Dog 'n' Duck!!!".

Which is where 

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

After two lessons he got a residency and px’ed it against an Ampeg.

is coming from, but seriously, it has indeed been long enough already already.