Why become a member? ×

New bridge design... solving a bridge problem that doesn't exist!

warwickhunt

7 minutes ago, Sidlanir said:

I'm sorry that I'm not aware of Peaches or JJ ... should I know them ? You know I'm Italian, proud of my origins & love fighting hard in what I'm believing, maybe my understanding is not the best one & I will do my best to not hurt anyone with my wording in this forum ...

I think the general point would be that many classic basslines are played on a bass with a bridge that follows the current design. Choose any song you like.   Would those basslines have been better played with a different bridge?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I think the general point would be that many classic basslines are played on a bass with a bridge that follows the current design. Choose any song you like.   Would those basslines have been better played with a different bridge?

This is true but there are many on this forum that slate Fender as being old fashioned and basic and promote modern innovation as being superior.

Edit: I don’t particularly like BBOT bridges, largely because they tend to have  sharp edges when the action is lowered and there is no sideways adjustment on the saddles. Playing devils advocate really as some could argue that most of the greatest songs in history were written and performed on very basic instruments.

Edited by tegs07

Just now, fleabag said:

I like the look of the bridge, just i would never pay that much for one, ever.  I  wince at the the price of Schallers 3d  3 way adjustables, and i love those bad boys

I've a lot of love for the Schaller but have you checked out the Sandberg design?  Many of the principles of Schaller inc roller saddle but it also has quick release string retention.  

image.png.ce2461b5cb9b7d751394965099fd41d7.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I like the look of the bridge, just i would never pay that much for one, ever.  I  wince at the the price of Schallers 3d  3 way adjustables, and i love those bad boys

Many thanks for your feedback & info (JJ ..) 

I'm sure that someone in this forum could help me further. Yes the bridge is not cheap, manufactured in Luxembourg, hand polished & assembled by myself, Chrome plating done in Germany... if you know a company in UK or in Europe who is able to do the manufacturing of the EVO Bass bridge for 40 pounds, gimme a call , it's not rocket science for a good manufacturer company equipped with CNC & chrome plating plant ...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I've a lot of love for the Schaller but have you checked out the Sandberg design?  Many of the principles of Schaller inc roller saddle but it also has quick release string retention.  

ok this bass bridge is doing his job & is manufactured in Asia, for around 10 pounds max , if you check the overall quality of all components you cannot 

compare it with my favorite Hipshot Bass Bridge I used on my first Basses I've build ...

16 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Now that is one spanking bridge. If Schaller 3d's had that it would also be perfect

15 minutes ago, Sidlanir said:

Many thanks for your feedback & info (JJ ..) 

I'm sure that someone in this forum could help me further. Yes the bridge is not cheap, manufactured in Luxembourg, hand polished & assembled by myself, Chrome plating done in Germany... if you know a company in UK or in Europe who is able to do the manufacturing of the EVO Bass bridge for 40 pounds, gimme a call , it's not rocket science for a good manufacturer company equipped with CNC & chrome plating plant ...

£40 is not realistic.  Even the Schaller 3d bridges , mass produced, probably no hand polishing either ( maybe, i dont know ) but they retail between £85 and £100

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

£40 is not realistic.  Even the Schaller 3d bridges , mass produced, probably no hand polishing either ( maybe, i dont know ) but they retail between £85 and £100

40 pounds would the manufacturing price , shipping charges , eventual additional charges & VAT not included ! Not the retail price on the web shop ! ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sidlanir said:

the video was posted first page ... 

Right. Where's the A/B showing tonal improvement against a 'standard' bridge?

I'm not being deliberately argumentative, but if you're going to sell any of these, you need to demonstrate why people should buy 'em, without getting all defensive.

2 minutes ago, Sidlanir said:

40 pounds would the manufacturing price , shipping charges , eventual additional charges & VAT not included ! Not the retail price on the web shop ! ...

Ah, ok.  I  thought retail.  Ooops

12 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Right. Where's the A/B showing tonal improvement against a 'standard' bridge?

I'm not being deliberately argumentative, but if you're going to sell any of these, you need to demonstrate why people should buy 'em, without getting all defensive.

where are the A/B videos from other manufacturer performed by them ?

this will be a never ending thread .....

Edited by Sidlanir

1 minute ago, Sidlanir said:

ok this bass bridge is doing his job & is manufactured in Asia, for around 10 pounds max , if you check the overall quality of all components you cannot 

compare it with my favorite Hipshot Bass Bridge I used on my first Basses I've build ...

Are you being derisory about products made in Asia?  I'm guessing you think that Hipshot are superior because they are made where... would it surprise you to learn it is Asia!  Incidentally, I've owned basses with Hipshot bridges and I've noted no discernible improvement 'as a result of the bridge design' over the other basses that I own(ed), which leads us full circle to the point that your bridge design offers no discernible improvement over other manufacturers.  

As for other manufacturers not providing 'evidence', which seems to be your fall-back comment; other manufacturers aren't making unsubstantiated claims, they simply fit or supply bridges and leave it for us to decide if there is any improvement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Are you being derisory about products made in Asia?  I'm guessing you think that Hipshot are superior because they are made where... would it surprise you to learn it is Asia!  Incidentally, I've owned basses with Hipshot bridges and I've noted no discernible improvement 'as a result of the bridge design' over the other basses that I own(ed), which leads us full circle to the point that your bridge design offers no discernible improvement over other manufacturers.  

As for other manufacturers not providing 'evidence', which seems to be your fall-back comment; other manufacturers aren't making unsubstantiated claims, they simply fit or supply bridges and leave it for us to decide if there is any improvement.

No I do not have any derisory with products made in Asia, I've good friends in Asia 😀,unfortunately due to the Covid pandemic all my plan to visit them were postponed ... As a Bass Builder I exactly know were the Hardware from other Hardware company are manufactured ! You don't need to tell me, I know it much better, same is for wooden parts ( necks / bodies ) ...

11 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Are you expecting people to buy it on your say-so?

I'm expecting nothing at all right now! maybe after my Asia trip ...

I didn't started this thread , just saw it today & was a bit surprised how my bridge was discriminated ...

Edited by Sidlanir

4 hours ago, Sidlanir said:

The EVO Bass Bridge substantially improves the transmission of the string vibration, in order to improve the sound...

In summary, the EVO Bass bridge provides a better transmission of the string vibrations to the resonance body, while simultaneously increasing and extending the sustaining period of the string.

The issue is that you are making very specific & pretty bold claims about the qualities of your design. If you want these qualities to be genuine reasons why musicians would purchase your premium-priced product, then you will have to produce some evidence to substantiate these claims. Otherwise you're expecting people just to take your word for it.

As it happens, I quite like the aesthetic of the design and the method of adjusting string height is novel. I'm wondering how something similar could be implemented in a design that did not involve threading the string through the saddle. I'm someone else who appreciates a bridge design which allows quick string removal.

As a matter of interest, the concept of strings passing through a saddle in order to (apparently) improve sustain & resonance is not a new one. DiMarzio, Kahler & Mighty Mite produced bridges like this in the late 70s/early 80s, although otherwise the designs were not too different to the typical Fender BBOT type.

fkewuvmbqcitdcajs4w6.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Are you expecting people to buy it on your say-so?

At this point, i'd say he is.  Many of the vast amount of popular bridges have customer feedback, which Sid doesn't have right now, and how many of those manufacturers brought videos out on how they improve on any previous designs ?  They might be out there but i've never seen one.  So buyers are buying on the manufacturers say so.

So after Sid sells some, then feedback from buyers is where its at.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sidlanir said:

I'm expecting nothing at all right now! maybe after my Asia trip ...

I didn't started this thread , just saw it today & was a bit surprised how my bridge was discriminated ...

Discriminated is the wrong word.  Most of the people here are not looking to shoot down ideas but they are prepared to question what a new design i=will do for them.  If I was advising you I would tell you to establish a strategy for selling the item - do your testing on the prototype to support your claims of increased sustain, do your market research to establish if anyone will buy it and at what price  If no one is interested at your estimated sales price with far east manufacturing don't waste your time on a trip to Asia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Discriminated is the wrong word.  Most of the people here are not looking to shoot down ideas but they are prepared to question what a new design i=will do for them.  If I was advising you I would tell you to establish a strategy for selling the item - do your testing on the prototype to support your claims of increased sustain, do your market research to establish if anyone will buy it and at what price  If no one is interested at your estimated sales price with far east manufacturing don't waste your time on a trip to Asia.

I'm sorry for my wrong wording, I'm a one man Bass Builder & my main goal is building basses. I've started the EVO Bridge project 2 years ago

posting pictures & threads on FB.

I know a lot of great Bass Builder all over the world, fantastic people & everyone told me that no one will install my bass bridge on their basses,

because Bass player like to see what they know from Fender!

Phil Kubicki is to me the one & only who has the balls to come out with a fantastic new bass design & Bass bridge ... no one is building copies from his bass nor from his bass bridge ... strange world ....

• Like 1

I have a wee thought on this.  How much better can bridges get ?  There's been some innovations decades ago, but eventually the improvements have got smaller and smaller, as they cant keep getting improved forever.  The innovations are dimiinishing.  Marketing cowpat is where its at.

Think toothpaste.  Ever since i was a kid, toothpastes have been re-vented and re-invented ad infinitum.  Sure they may have improved in big leaps early on but every year or 2, toothpaste marketing tells us that this product and that product will kill off placque and reduce gum disease by some huge percentage, and we get even whiter teeth from  Colgate's new paste.  Other toothpastes are available

If that were really the case, there wouldnt be anyone with placque or gum disease, and even whiter ?  What again ?  Everyone's teeth would look like a set of snow white  glowing gnashers.

Marketing is king.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I have a wee thought on this.  How much better can bridges get ?  There's been some innovations decades ago, but eventually the improvements have got smaller and smaller, as they cant keep getting improved forever.  The innovations are dimiinishing.  Marketing cowpat is where its at.

Think toothpaste.  Ever since i was a kid, toothpastes have been re-vented and re-invented ad infinitum.  Sure they may have improved in big leaps early on but every year or 2, toothpaste marketing tells us that this product and that product will kill off placque and reduce gum disease by some huge percentage, and we get even whiter teeth from  Colgate's new paste.  Other toothpastes are available

If that were really the case, there wouldnt be anyone with placque or gum disease, and even whiter ?  What again ?  Everyone's teeth would look like a set of snow white  glowing gnashers.

Marketing is king.

well said ! marketing is king .... & Colgate has a huge amount of cash for it ...

• Like 1

The Kubicki bridge always struck me as enormously over-complex & over-engineered compared to other headless bridge/tuner designs. Not sure anyone actually improved on the simplicity & elegance of Steinberger's original - which is, I suppose, why most other headless bridge designs imitate it.