Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady Epi - what strings do you use?

acidbass

I don't own one, but borrowed one a while back. I put TI flats on it (my favourite strings anyway), and it was really awesome with them. For me, the difference between those and tapes, is that TIs are more versatile. They still have some top end if you need it, whereas tapes are a bit more 'one trick pony' IMO. NICE pony to ride though if that's your bag.

• Like 1

I'm still using the stock strings because I'm lazy and they didn't offend me.  When I need to change them I'll probably stick on some D'addario XL nickel rounds, they're my go to these days.  The bass is plenty thumpy enough without compounding that with flats IMO - despite its appearance the JC can really be used in any musical setting UNLESS you pigeonhole it by compromising the top end.

But what do I know?  It's your bass, put on it what you like!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neepheid said:

I'm still using the stock strings because I'm lazy and they didn't offend me.  When I need to change them I'll probably stick on some D'addario XL nickel rounds, they're my go to these days.  The bass is plenty thumpy enough without compounding that with flats IMO - despite its appearance the JC can really be used in any musical setting UNLESS you pigeonhole it by compromising the top end.

But what do I know?  It's your bass, put on it what you like!

Same here, still got the stock strings on it, they seem to suit the bass well and haven't felt the urge to change them yet.

I've got Fender tapewounds on it at the mo. It sounds great with loads of character BUT I want a bit more top end out of it while maintaining the vintage vibe so it's going to have flats next when I get round to it. I think Ernie Ball chromes would be the ideal string but I've got a pack of Maruszczyk flats ready to go so it will be those.

10 hours ago, Rayman said:

I don't own one, but borrowed one a while back. I put TI flats on it (my favourite strings anyway), and it was really awesome with them. For me, the difference between those and tapes, is that TIs are more versatile. They still have some top end if you need it, whereas tapes are a bit more 'one trick pony' IMO. NICE pony to ride though if that's your bag.

Another vote for TI flats; lovely strings on any semi 👍