Why become a member? ×

Just an observation

vmaxblues

[quote name='Protium' post='456698' date='Apr 7 2009, 07:07 PM']P body, J neck :)[/quote]

A fine, fine choice, Sir!

This works well if you like P tone but J neck, a la my frankenbass.

In fact loads of people commented on my bass sound on Saturday night. I didn't want to shatter their illusions by telling them that I was playing a £100 frankenstein :-)

Long live the frankenstein!

Always owned a jazz of some description. Great neck, great pickup spacing, can do anything on it, great look, good balance. The perfect "if I only had one bass" bass.

Reason not very many Precisions are up for sale is that the warmer weather is bringing us nearer to summer and outdoor persuits and apparently they make a great canoe paddles.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='456423' date='Apr 7 2009, 02:12 PM']I always think Tele's look pretentious then again I dislike Strats.

SG FTW[/quote]

Pffft, Tele's are pretentious yet you choose an SG, the rock god wannabe guitar? Interesting :)

As for the topic: Jazz body shape is excellent, pick up positions are good, balance is good, controls are simple and good. Yeah, they work.

I havn't played a P in a while though, I think I did like the neck though.

I've got both and voted Jazz. The Precision (while it has been a trusty workhorse for about twenty years) is a one trick pony, fat neck and heavy with too much whomp. The Jazz offers so much more...better neck, less weighty, better body balance, more tone.

One thing that isn't so finite is that you have around fifty years of both models with different levels of quality control and ethic, so it really isn't simply Jazz or Precision. Car analogy; a current Skoda would probably turn heads if it was transported back to the 1960s and would likely beat most of the high performance cars from that period hands down.

P

[quote name='Buzz' post='457983' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:50 PM']Pffft, Tele's are pretentious yet you choose an SG, the rock god wannabe guitar? Interesting :)[/quote]

OT but Jesus loves an SG, specially a triple PU white one with Bigsby ..

Just love that little Pete Townsend windmill move at 1:49 in the rocking solo

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='458101' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:08 AM']OT but Jesus loves an SG, specially a triple PU white one with Bigsby ..[/quote]

Love it! Coincidentally, also my favourite lookin' SG.... one day, one day.

I'd have to say Jazz, based on what I'm using every day right now, but I've got a sneaking feeling a P might sound ace with the new band, so I'm keen to try one. That Sandberg PM4 in the for sale is giving me sleepless nights!

[quote name='mike257' post='458148' date='Apr 9 2009, 10:15 AM']Love it! Coincidentally, also my favourite lookin' SG.... one day, one day.

I'd have to say Jazz, based on what I'm using every day right now, but I've got a sneaking feeling a P might sound ace with the new band, so I'm keen to try one. That Sandberg PM4 in the for sale is giving me sleepless nights![/quote]

[shamless sale plug]
How about my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=45631&view=findpost&p=453195"] Valenti P4[/url]? :)
[/shmeless sale plug]

Edited by OldGit

• 2 weeks later...

I've always loved the sound and feel of a jazz.
The first bass i ever had was a cheap precision copy and sounded awful.
That put me off precisions for years but i'm now tempted to get one as i've eventually realised that the proper ones sound a million times better than the wasp in a dustbin sound of my first outing!