Why become a member? ×

A number of Fodera basses for sale atm

ead

3 hours ago, Gwilym said:

Not really sure if this is remarkable? The rate of gear turnover, Fodera or not, seems to be consistently high. Definitely a lot of J and P basses for sale. What's wrong with them?

Nothing at all, and I'm sure Foderas are also extemely nice bits of kit.   It just struck me that given the relatively small numbers around, compared to say Fenders, that this was a bit unusual.  As I said, just not my bag.

11 hours ago, ead said:

Nothing at all, and I'm sure Foderas are also extemely nice bits of kit.   It just struck me that given the relatively small numbers around, compared to say Fenders, that this was a bit unusual.  As I said, just not my bag.

No skin in the game here mind, I'm not particularly a big Fodera or P or J fan.

I've only played 1 Fodera at the Bass Gallery a few years ago. It was a lovely looking Emperor 5 but I thought the sound was underwhelming (given my expectations). Ultimately, it was just another bass, albeit with a high level of handmade craftsmanship involved.

The economic climate might mean people would rather the (hefty amount of) cash in their pockets at the moment. Also some of the regular sellers of Fodera (and other high-end basses) on this forum appear to be dealing basses as more than a hobby, or maybe just very obsessive collectors wanting to try ever single wood combination going.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gwilym said:

No skin in the game here mind, I'm not particularly a big Fodera or P or J fan.

I've only played 1 Fodera at the Bass Gallery a few years ago. It was a lovely looking Emperor 5 but I thought the sound was underwhelming (given my expectations). Ultimately, it was just another bass, albeit with a high level of handmade craftsmanship involved.

The economic climate might mean people would rather the (hefty amount of) cash in their pockets at the moment. Also some of the regular sellers of Fodera (and other high-end basses) on this forum appear to be dealing basses as more than a hobby, or maybe just very obsessive collectors wanting to try ever single wood combination going.

I suspect you are right on that.  I had a brief go on a Fodera a few years ago and was left with much the same impressions as you.  It was probs lost on me anyway as I'm not the world's most talented bassist :)

A small thing I like about Fodera's and Alembic's is at they make active 5 string Basses with the jack socket on the front. Why don't more manufacturers do that? Clearly those two (and original Fender passive Basses) know a thing or two about good Bass design and feel that it works. 

Front jack socket = less likely for cable to be pulled out, sits in a stand better, easier to plug in, easier to see/adjust things like headphone amps and transmitters, and my personal favourite - can sit back on a sofa or bench and have the Bass plugged in without the cable poking into the seat. 

....that small thing alone obviously doesn't make them worth 10x the cost of other Basses but it's a selling point to me!