Why become a member? ×

MY DOUBLE BASS GOT STOLEN..

gcordez

Hi everyone,

unfortunately my car got broken into and my double bass amongst other things got nicked.
its a Stentor Conservatoire model, the G string is a gold colour Velvet Anima string, the bass has adjustable bridge with ebony adjusters. Also, the endpin rubber stopper is too big so ive got it stick on with some blue tack...

thats the distinguishing features.

If, by any chance anyone gets offered a suspect bass and it matches this discription. please get in touch.
im gutted to lose this bass.

regards,

greg

Having gear stolen is a truly horrible feeling, comiserations man and hope you are reunited with it

Might be worth moving to the dedicated stolen basses sticky:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29204"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29204[/url]

Might also be of use to put the town it was stolen in the title, more likely to get the attention from those who may be offered it

Good luck getting it back

[quote name='molan' post='455387' date='Apr 6 2009, 12:18 PM']I know this may be a bit obvious but keep your eyes open on EBay & Gumtree.

Someone I work with had his bicycle nicked & it was on EBay the very next day![/quote]

thanks for the replies chaps.
its such a sh*tty feeling to lose an instrument (its my first time..)

it was stolen from my car in Bristol, probably by a junkie looking for some quick cash.

thanks for the offer of a loaner bass, thats very decent of you bassbod.

hope this turns out alright.

[quote name='neepheid' post='455521' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:58 PM']That's a pretty audacious steal. Surely someone must have seen someone wandering around the vicinity with a double bass - neither a common nor an inconspicuous occurrence.[/quote]

yeah,

honestly, who steals a double bass..

Sorry to hear of your trouble; like all above have said, it's a crapper!
Notify all the music shops in the area too.. obvious market. We had someone try it on with a Mex Strat last week - £100 for a quick sale :) .
The owner came in the following day; turns out the two of them used to be mates, too!

Terrible news. Hope you get it back. There is a double bass shop up near the Colston Halls area. Maybe call them too and spread the news that way, being a shop they may have already had someone trying to pass one on to them?

Sorry to hear that mate, I've posted your notice on a few music forums and when I speak to people will see what I can find out.

I'm looking for a double bass in the Bristol area, but if it's offerred to me, I'll be sure to whack them and take it back for you!

[quote name='molan' post='455896' date='Apr 6 2009, 08:48 PM']I know the police don't get desperately excited about 'petty' theft but definitely worth reporting and suggesting that something as huge as double bass ought to have been picked up on a CCTV somewhere![/quote]

yeah, the police were polite but not particulary feeling my pain..

i spent the day driving round all the guitar and second hand shops putting the word out.
to top it off, when i was parked in Bristol city centre and doing the rounds, my car got a parking ticket....

not the best week so far.

i spoke with Allainz insurance today, hopefully they will accept my claim without a fuss and i can start looking to the future and getting a replacement.

but the problem is, and this might affect all you chaps too,
is that i bought my bass new about 18months ago and had the value set at what i paid for it. now with the £ and $ and euro going nuts, the same bass now is 30% more expensive to buy. but my fixed valuation means that the same replacment value bass will cost me an extra £350 on top of getting the car patched up and looking to buy a pickup,gigbag, realbook etc.

make sure you guys dont get caught out by this too...

thanks again for all the support and generous offers.