Why become a member? ×

Yeah right…..’Fender’ loft find

ash

7 hours ago, GremlinAndy said:

Is it a “Kay”?    They used to sell them in Woolworths.

Imagine Fender making their very early models from cheap assed ply like that.

hilarious.

It's either a Teisco or Sakkai Mokko, but not sure of the original brand.

It's not a Kay, nor an Audition (Woolies' brand).

• Thanks 1

On 01/12/2021 at 13:04, binky_bass said:

I've just sent the seller the below message. It really infuriates me when people hide under a guise of ignorance in order to con people. 

"I see you're still selling this as a Fender when you know it isn't, so unless you've cancelled the auction or amended it to be truthful within 24 hours, I'm going to bid £1000 on it to ensure I win it, then if you post it to me, once it arrives I shall open a dispute with eBay that it isn't a Fender and get my money back, as per eBay rules, you'll be responsible for covering return postage. Or if I win and you don't send it, then I'll lodge a complaint that you've not sent me the item I've won. 

So be a decent human and either withdraw the bass and relist with a truthful description, or I'll bid, and win, and we'll go through the motions laid out above. 

Thanks."

Edited by thebrig
Duplicate post

I've just sent the seller the below message. It really infuriates me when people hide under a guise of ignorance in order to con people. 

"I see you're still selling this as a Fender when you know it isn't, so unless you've cancelled the auction or amended it to be truthful within 24 hours, I'm going to bid £1000 on it to ensure I win it, then if you post it to me, once it arrives I shall open a dispute with eBay that it isn't a Fender and get my money back, as per eBay rules, you'll be responsible for covering return postage. Or if I win and you don't send it, then I'll lodge a complaint that you've not sent me the item I've won. 

So be a decent human and either withdraw the bass and relist with a truthful description, or I'll bid, and win, and we'll go through the motions laid out above. 

Thanks."

Well he's still calling it a Fender, so it looks like you will have to make your bid of £1000,😲

I would guess that the bidders (28 at the last count with the highest bid £122) probably know it's not a Fender and are looking to purchase it for a project.🤔

I would still like to see eBay take action though.

Thanks."

Edited by thebrig
Duplicate post

14 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Well he's still calling it a Fender, so it looks like you will have to make your bid of £1000,😲

I would guess that the bidders (28 at the last count with the highest bid £122) probably know it's not a Fender and are looking to purchase it for a project.🤔

I would still like to see eBay take action though.

To be honest I'll probably leave it as an idol threat. I can't be arséd with further involvement. Feel free to place that £1000 on my behalf!

35 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

To be honest I'll probably leave it as an idol threat. I can't be arséd with further involvement. Feel free to place that £1000 on my behalf!

Like you, I don't like these type of sellers either, but I think I will pass on making a £1000 bid just in case eBay does bugger all about the seller 😉

On 02/12/2021 at 07:07, prowla said:

It's either a Teisco or Sakkai Mokko, but not sure of the original brand.

It's not a Kay, nor an Audition (Woolies' brand).

It's not a Teisco, but then again most 'Teiscos' aren't.

They've been spotted in the wild badged Sakai, so it's logical to think Sakai Mokko, an actual manufacturer, made at least some of them. However most of them, including matey's diseased piece of junk, the overpriced Audition & possibly @prowla's (would need to see neckplate pic to confirm) are Korean, and made by Samick.

These things are the object of some curiosity in vintage MIJ circles - there are various different versions & the earliest has a 2-a-side headstock & German carve body:

1566609583_Zenta2x2full.thumb.jpg.0ab43a97921672b8c1bcc0c2e27a0e53.jpg

Not sure who made these but they turn up badged Dynatone, which is a brand that might have been connected to Guyatone. These are probably the 60s versions.

The MIJ Sakai versions have the more common 4-inline head, no carve & big chrome-covered pickups. Also more likely to feature a tort plate, turned metal knobs & a maple neck. Common badged Silvertone & National in the US, it's also in an early 70s Aria catalogue, although that's never been seen in the wild, as far as I know.

260302345_SakaiBass.thumb.jpg.311cf993ddbcfaa7fbc6538f7248caad.jpg

Moving swiftly on, we get the ubiquitous MIK variants. These often conveniently tell you what they are by means of a sticker, like this:

220392850_NationalMIKHB.thumb.jpg.8ef9656dfb0876e4ed71ee41ef401d18.jpg

Other identifiers are mahogany necks (really common on MIK & Taiwanese guitars of this era) often black-painted headstocks, single coil staple-type pickups & single-ply scratchplate, like this & the two Ebay examples:

332574460_NationalMIKF.thumb.jpg.5756dc6b77eca8dae7f1cd903cab276e.jpg

These are also fairly common bearing the 'Arirang' brand, which is known to have been manufactured by Samick. 'Arirang' is the title of a traditional Korean song.

Unsurprisingly, we've had threads about these before...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1