Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

On 08/11/2022 at 23:34, ern500evo said:

The ABM600 is a cracking amp, I’m loving mine so far, but, if you’re using one of the programmable Darkglass pedals like the ADAM/Photon/Infinity, do you need an amp? If the pedal is going to be always on and taking care of all your tone shaping, you could just use a small power amp. 

It's wise to admit when one is wrong, especially when bought the amp and tried at low volume... I got the Alpha Omega Photon before the ABM thinking I'd need all that but....

... I'm noodling a bit further on the ABM and to be frank, with the Sub octave and EQ on/off I can make a 'boost' out of it... also the amp sounds so good that I do feel I don't need all these bells and whistles of the AO Photon...

The Ashdown footswitch and a simpler Alpha Omega / Microtubes X will most definitely do the job - will put the Alpha Omega Photon on sale...!

Best,

Ander.

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alexa3020 said:

I would recommend a compressor pedal (if you plan to use one). I think the inbuilt one is ok, but reduces your output volume quite a bit.

Aha! I normally do the simplest of compression so the one knob approach works for me - if you push the compressor somewhere to 7/10 the volume starts to match the uncompressed signal... Hm I'll give it a try - really hoping to keep my rig as a 'one pedal just' solution to add distortion and that's it.

Best,

Ander.

I’ve always found the onboard compressor smothers the clarity of the amp

Sounded better without or when using a simple Opto pedal front end 

The magic EQ slider on the ABM600 is the 340hz and used either pulled down ( shape button in ) or boosted ( Shape button out ) makes a world of difference to how it sits in a mix and the fullness of the tone 

The input gain is also affected by the EQ, the valve drive and the compressor 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve always found the onboard compressor smothers the clarity of the amp

Sounded better without or when using a simple Opto pedal front end 

The magic EQ slider on the ABM600 is the 340hz and used either pulled down ( shape button in ) or boosted ( Shape button out ) makes a world of difference to how it sits in a mix and the fullness of the tone 

The input gain is also affected by the EQ, the valve drive and the compressor 

Thank you for this! good to know whilst figuring out how things work here!

5 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Thank you for this! good to know whilst figuring out how things work here!

No worries.. there are many different sounds you can get from the ABM600 

In particular it comes alive when you get the volume past 9 o clock 

I’ve gigged mine with two ABM210H cabs on an outside gig without pa support and master at 12 o’clock and it sounded great and full. 

Running the input gain so loudest notes just goes into the red is the preferred setting ( according to Dave Green ) 

People do crank it further but I found the note clarity suffered. 
The input gain level plays a part when using the valve drive as they are related when the drive is used. 

Many people say avoid the mid scoop Shape button out sound ( in a band it’s lost ) however I found using it and boosting the 340hz made all the difference. If you push the button in then pull back the 340 slider for a less honky tone !! 
I also find for finger style boosting the 1.2khz was a good thing for clarity 

For pick playing I pull it back a tad 

• Thanks 2

Well I’ve spent the last days playing my BB2 without a tweeter and with the ABM I do not miss the tweeter…!

Just got back from this event here, guys…

The cab reaches my hip…

… The amp reaches my ribs…

… The Sound? Reaches my soul!

1091F5DA-76CD-43EA-9C04-7629FD4FAD17.thumb.jpeg.56fd5635895d1fd8d14054a6ed3d5e4a.jpeg

4773180B-2070-45B3-A00A-F4BC42889EB3.thumb.jpeg.be09dcc96986e8701f5154ea50d216b7.jpeg

2785D2DA-405A-4902-A025-94C04D288BF8.thumb.jpeg.397d1d3e6f095f05e3e00bb0b7e3dea6.jpeg

• Like 9

After the first gig out with it this weekend, I can finally post a picture of my current setup, including my new custom ABM EVO V! This thing is absolutely killer, and sounds particularly good through a big cab like the ABM 610. Definitely a little different to the EVO IV, in a similar way the EVO IV was different to the EVO III. Still working on the EQ, as is typical for the ABM as everything is quite interactive. Loving it so far!

image.thumb.png.4bd3598151f3a896d0b022b63fe43d3e.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BruceBass3901 said:

After the first gig out with it this weekend, I can finally post a picture of my current setup, including my new custom ABM EVO V! This thing is absolutely killer, and sounds particularly good through a big cab like the ABM 610. Definitely a little different to the EVO IV, in a similar way the EVO IV was different to the EVO III. Still working on the EQ, as is typical for the ABM as everything is quite interactive. Loving it so far!

image.thumb.png.4bd3598151f3a896d0b022b63fe43d3e.png

Wow! Was there much additional cost for the custom faceplate?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Wow! Was there much additional cost for the custom faceplate?

It wasn't too much extra (can't recall the actual figure I'm afraid), but this was a treat to myself for a milestone birthday so worth a little bit on top to have something a bit special. It matches my custom CTM 300 which was from family for a previous milestone.

It could be said that I have a slight problem with chrome!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chaddy said:

What's the axe on the left? :)

That is a beast of my own creation!

Somewhere between a Jazz and a Jaguar body shape wise; essentially a Jazz with the lower horn snubbed a little. Ash body, maple neck, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups running a passive V/V/T setup for now, but with the last knob being a series/parallel switch. It spends about 90% of it's life running is series though. It may get an East preamp at some point though, and already has the battery box installed on the back in case it took my fancy later on.

It has seen me through every Ska gig (and quite possible by extension every ACTUAL gig) I have played over the last 8 years or so, which is quite a few!

Edited by BruceBass3901

1 hour ago, BruceBass3901 said:

It wasn't too much extra (can't recall the actual figure I'm afraid), but this was a treat to myself for a milestone birthday so worth a little bit on top to have something a bit special. It matches my custom CTM 300 which was from family for a previous milestone.

It could be said that I have a slight problem with chrome!

Well, happy birthday!

Now I'm thinking about a custom one of my own. Purple tolex to match my Zilla cab (that went very well with my PF-500), grey face, black text. Or pimp it with a gold faceplate. Maybe for my 40th in a few years...

The ABM600 is impressing me more with each gig. Did a birthday party gig at a local community centre on Friday. Tall ceiling,  wooden floor, large boomy stage, but the ABM just sounded great. First gig I’ve done with it using my Warwick Streamer all night. Thai amp just seems to have brought that bass to life 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

That is a beast of my own creation!

Somewhere between a Jazz and a Jaguar body shape wise; essentially a Jazz with the lower horn snubbed a little. Ash body, maple neck, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups running a passive V/V/T setup for now, but with the last knob being a series/parallel switch. It spends about 90% of it's life running is series though. It may get an East preamp at some point though, and already has the battery box installed on the back in case it took my fancy later on.

It has seen me through every Ska gig (and quite possible by extension every ACTUAL gig) I have played over the last 8 years or so, which is quite a few!

Tidy as! and 8 years of hard playing and still loving it is always a keeper. Like grilled halloumi! ( compliment ) 
I do love DiMarzio's , even got a set in my warwick corvette :D the Mec's were Meh :D 

East's pre amps are very good, I went for a Glock myself due to the control knobs I had available on my Charvel , which needs further work to shield. Thanks Fender. Useless.

I would of never guessed it would of been for a Ska band either :) 

On 21/11/2022 at 15:32, MichaelDean said:

Well, happy birthday!

Now I'm thinking about a custom one of my own. Purple tolex to match my Zilla cab (that went very well with my PF-500), grey face, black text. Or pimp it with a gold faceplate. Maybe for my 40th in a few years...

Thank you very much! And definitely contact Ashdown if you are considering something custom; they are very accommodating and keen to take on such requests.

7 hours ago, Chaddy said:

Tidy as! and 8 years of hard playing and still loving it is always a keeper. Like grilled halloumi! ( compliment ) 
I do love DiMarzio's , even got a set in my warwick corvette :D the Mec's were Meh :D 

East's pre amps are very good, I went for a Glock myself due to the control knobs I had available on my Charvel , which needs further work to shield. Thanks Fender. Useless.

I would of never guessed it would of been for a Ska band either :) 

I'm definitely interested to try a preamp in the bass, but for now the passive flavour is keeping me more than happy. Maybe one day!

And you are not the first one to be surprised by the type of band I'm in. The first CDs I was given by my parents after I won a Sony Discman were a Best of 2Tone compilation and the soundtrack to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I've subsequently been in a glam/hair/sleaze band, pit bands for am-dram productions (including Rocky Horror) and a couple of Ska bands, so truly my musical direction was defined young 😂

On 13/10/2022 at 16:36, JPJ said:

My new ‘small’ rig. This started as the quest to find a small powerful gigable combo that wouldn’t break either my bank account or my back. Basschatter FunkyDoug was selling the rather tasty ABM NEO 400 1x15 combo locally, and then I spotted that Sharkfinger was selling the matching Neo series 1x15 cab for a very reasonable £75. So this is now the go to small rig for tight stages 😎  

EB2AAE64-EFA9-46BE-B065-3642A8D0F269.jpeg

So I got to use this rig in anger on Sunday and she didn’t disappoint and the easiest load in/out of any full electric gig 😎

283887AA-6D0E-4B4C-90A1-4475DD093A9D.jpeg

• Like 1

Something I've been restoring recently and haven't yet had the chance to gig. A cupboard find that had been locked away for over ten years and had a few issues due to lack of use. It's now fully restored, fully operational and pretty much mint condition. The EVO500 amp head is quite unique for amps of this vintage. Its UK built as are the ABM Mini cabs and they all have consecutive serial numbers. The amp has the old school EVO 500 front panel but has the newer EVOII rear panel with a speakon jack. The power section has the later bipolar 500 watt output stage and not the earlier 400 watt mosfet board. All the dates check out as November 2002. Looking forward to trying it out at a gig.

IMG_1433.jpeg

• Like 5

On 05/12/2022 at 00:00, DGBass said:

Something I've been restoring recently and haven't yet had the chance to gig. A cupboard find that had been locked away for over ten years and had a few issues due to lack of use. It's now fully restored, fully operational and pretty much mint condition. The EVO500 amp head is quite unique for amps of this vintage. Its UK built as are the ABM Mini cabs and they all have consecutive serial numbers. The amp has the old school EVO 500 front panel but has the newer EVOII rear panel with a speakon jack. The power section has the later bipolar 500 watt output stage and not the earlier 400 watt mosfet board. All the dates check out as November 2002. Looking forward to trying it out at a gig.

IMG_1433.jpeg

Triggers Broom?

2 hours ago, Chaddy said:

Triggers Broom?

I've had as many ABM's of all shapes and sizes pass through my hands to have a reasonably good idea of what is fairly original. The two cabs (4x8 and mini 15) are stock MK1 ABM Minis. The JJ ECC83S I fitted to replace a no name valve is not original but everything else appears to be. One thing Ashdown did with amps of this era when they built them in house was date the components they fitted, a bit like what TE used to do back in the day. Whoever built an amp initialed and dated a component part as well which is a nice touch. Little things like that give you a good idea as to what you have. I suppose you can never really tell for sure with twenty year old amps of any make but this particular one is the most original of this era i've ever come across and the best condition by far. The serial number says Nov 2002, the transformer, an original XTE1 model Oct 2002, and the power module 24/10/2002 which all seems right. I remember reading Ashdown's manuals of the time which rattled on about their "ABM Design Philosophy"  to build a "minimum service, high quality, long lasting powerful bass amplifier." A clean out and a new valve every twenty years seem to fit that philosophy! Sounds lovely as well and very quiet and controlled in operation for such a powerful old amp, its definetly not had a hard life. I suppose there are a few Triggers Broom's out there as these amps are super easy to repair and maintain and always look the part even if the internals may not be as they left the factory. This one though is definetly a cut above the rest🙂 

• Like 3

On 05/12/2022 at 00:00, DGBass said:

IMG_1433.jpeg

This was the exact rig I rocked for a number of years, probably mid-2000's to early 2010's....something like that?!
Even down to the UK built aspect of all three.  
I found the head to be a delight, albeit large and heavy. The cabs were fine as a pair, but I personally found them to be lacking individually (on a gig that is), it certainly taught me that rear-ported is not for me.

Si

• Like 1