Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

Guest JanekGwizdala

without question that should of course have been Gabriel Fauré..... I'm not really much of a one for french economics and never have been... But the use of lush harmony a 100 years or more before people Like Gil Evans made it popular with miles for a jazz audience... yes please!

Easy,

Janek

Not got the new one yet but I've only just read the Freebass "review" from the one before.

Could you please review it again and concentrate on its unique features: the clarity of sound and the models?

That review was all about the benefits of wireless, any old wireless.

That's like reviewing a Dingwall or Squier and just talking about the benefits of the bass guitar over the double bass.

Edited by OldGit

I'm pretty unimpressed by the new issue. A quick look at the front cover made my heart sink - my first thought was "they'll never fit this all in one issue"... and they haven't. The home recording roundup is a single page where they only mention one (yes that's ONE, UNO) audio interface. The 3 basses reviewed in the issue are all over 3 grand! The 2 amp rigs reviewed both stack up to well over a grand (a lot more in the case of the mesa stack). What planet are these people on? There's a recession on you know! Get the reviews sorted out guys, for goodness sake!

Granted the Sadowsky interview is moderately interesting (although the online video interview floating around at the minute with the man himself is SO much better). The session player article is pretty good. Haven't read the rest yet... although once again the proof reading is diabolical. I'd do it for free and be better than whoever's doing it now!

Going by this issue I'll not be renewing my subscription...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='529396' date='Jul 1 2009, 10:10 AM']I'm pretty unimpressed by the new issue. A quick look at the front cover made my heart sink - my first thought was "they'll never fit this all in one issue"... and they haven't. The home recording roundup is a single page where they only mention one (yes that's ONE, UNO) audio interface. The 3 basses reviewed in the issue are all over 3 grand! The 2 amp rigs reviewed both stack up to well over a grand (a lot more in the case of the mesa stack). What planet are these people on? There's a recession on you know! Get the reviews sorted out guys, for goodness sake!

Granted the Sadowsky interview is moderately interesting (although the online video interview floating around at the minute with the man himself is SO much better). The session player article is pretty good. Haven't read the rest yet... although once again the proof reading is diabolical. I'd do it for free and be better than whoever's doing it now!

Going by this issue I'll not be renewing my subscription...[/quote]

Bigwan,

With regard to the amp rigs, yes they are both over a grand, but the Peavey Tour Series head is great value for money at £480 (can't recall exact price, haven't got a copy of the mag here). I believe there was a comment in the review to the effect of the cab not being such great value, and a suggestion that the head be paired with a different cab. I would say that in the middle of a recession, the head unit at least represents a pretty good buy.

Stu

Stuart

[quote name='Bigwan' post='529396' date='Jul 1 2009, 10:10 AM']I'm pretty unimpressed by the new issue. A quick look at the front cover made my heart sink - my first thought was "they'll never fit this all in one issue"... and they haven't. The home recording roundup is a single page where they only mention one (yes that's ONE, UNO) audio interface. The 3 basses reviewed in the issue are all over 3 grand! The 2 amp rigs reviewed both stack up to well over a grand (a lot more in the case of the mesa stack). What planet are these people on? There's a recession on you know! Get the reviews sorted out guys, for goodness sake!

Going by this issue I'll not be renewing my subscription...[/quote]

Well I have read the Star Bass review which was not particularly infomative, but the Session Player feature is brilliant!

TBH I didn't think the Star Bass review was any worse than the review of the same bass in Bass Player mag. Yes, the home recording page did bellow "FILLER!" quite loudly, and more reviews of sub-400/500 quid gear would be good. But I stand by my previous comments re: the interviews. Much better writing, much more informative. And I agree with silddx, the session player feature was very good.
You know what they say, you can't please all the people all the time :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='529329' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:43 AM']Not got the new one yet but I've only just read the Freebass "review" from the one before.

Could you please review it again and concentrate on its unique features: the clarity of sound and the models?[/quote]

+1 to that. It did seem bizarre that a review of a wireless system with modelling, didn't comment on the quality of the modelling.

As to the current edition, I agree with the comments on the interviews. A vast improvement over the previous format, more informative and better written.

Like others, my gripe is on the gear reviews. I haven't got a copy in front of me, but from memory there isn't a review of a bass under £1000 in there. There is way too much focus on top end equipment. Its a bit like buying "What car" magazine, only to get reviews of Ferraris. I enjoy reading about top end stuff as much as anyone, but there do need to be reviews of everyday equipment as well.

But, overall a vast improvement, and a better read - in fact I've renewed my subscription.

Oh, and a +1 to whoever suggested Bruce Thomas. An interview with Colin Moulding would be good too.

IMO the current issue is a marked improvement on the previous one so I think the mag is heading in the right direction, the interviews were definitely better: the Janek interview was very interesting and especially for me the Michael Anthony one was better than the interview with him in Guitar and Bass mag!

One thing though, I dont know why the guy who writes about his Scholarship is going in depth on all the techniques he's learning as the other guys who have written for that page tended to tell you more about the whole experience of going to a music academy which I for one found far better reading.

I'd like it if they would bring back the "Hometown heroes" thingy that Niceguyhomer was featured in (if my memory serves me right?) and my only real complaint which is pretty much the same as everyone's mentioned here regarding the reviews of basses that are WAAAY out of most peoples' financial limits!

Dan

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='529468' date='Jul 1 2009, 12:03 PM']Bigwan,

With regard to the amp rigs, yes they are both over a grand, but the Peavey Tour Series head is great value for money at £480 (can't recall exact price, haven't got a copy of the mag here). I believe there was a comment in the review to the effect of the cab not being such great value, and a suggestion that the head be paired with a different cab. I would say that in the middle of a recession, the head unit at least represents a pretty good buy.

Stu

Stuart[/quote]

I can understand your defence of the mag Stuart. I did read the Peavey review and, agreed, it's good value for what it is, but it's the only piece of gear under £750 reviewed in the mag this month. Out of 8 items (if you count every item individually). Expensive basses are fine (I love them!), but only if you're reviewing one or two a month, combined with a mixture of beginner and intermediate equipment, but 3 such reviews in the one issue are pretty indefensible, especially if there isn't a sub £400 piece of gear reviewed to offset them!

[quote name='simon1964' post='529584' date='Jul 1 2009, 01:51 PM']Oh, and a +1 to whoever suggested Bruce Thomas.[/quote]

That was me. I was also thinking an interview with Pino wouldn't go a miss. I think what BGM also needs to do is address some thorny issues that definitely get people going on the forums to make it a bit edgy. The Road Worn series certainly got people hot under the collar, so a review of them would be interesting. I also think the Hometown Heroes needs to be resurrected, but that will require effort from the reader base. Another of the features that I enjoyed from back in the day was the ongoing customisation piece where they upgraded a MIM J bass to within an inch of its life, a lot of us dabble with customisation so a revisit with a different donor would be interesting. A more broad price point for reviews seems to be what people want here and +1 to that, certainly on basses.

Edited by ezbass

A tiny part of me (no, not that part !) thinks some of the reviewers are checking out these posh basses for their own interests, but then again i've always suspected the worst in people !

It may be partially down to a lack of co-operation from main dealers but the boutique ones being much more helpful.. maybe Stuart / Mike can enlighten us ?

[quote name='Tait' post='529958' date='Jul 1 2009, 08:56 PM']i can't see how a bass can be so good its worth much over a grand anyway, but like you said, its all subjective. but really, pay £1,500 for a shuker, or £3,500 for a fodera, does the fodera really sound that much better than a shuker? i think not. and besides, IMO Timmy C has one of the best sounds out, and he plays a passive jazz. i just don't understand how you can justify paying that much for a bass.[/quote]

That's a different thread and we've done it a few times ...

I agree. They should have a standard approach, at least one Sub £500 bass each issue (shouldn't be hard to find enough) and amps/combos from all price ranges.
Sure kids can stroll into Reverb and try 10 different budget basses and amps but they can't get objective views of stuff from the shop employees. That is what magazine reviews should do.

Maybe Which Magazine should have a bass guitar section ..

what BGM really need to do is ask on here or on finnbass or on any other big british forum what we want in a magazine. they're getting there, but big forums are the perfect oppurtunity to talk to their TMG, and yet they don't seem to use it. i realise there are a few people who write for BGM on here, and they will probably put these suggestions forward, but if they asked their TMG what they wanted to read about, i'm sure very few people would say "we want to read reviews of 3 basses that we can't afford" rather than "we want a good balance between botique basses and affordable basses". i know if i was to publish a magazine and i had this good an oppurtunity to see what my readers want, i'd take it up. its also a good chance to see what they're doing right, because they'd now see how much the majority enjoyed the interviews (i found them quite boring personally, but then, i always do), and they know they're doing that right.

[quote name='Tait' post='530124' date='Jul 1 2009, 11:51 PM']what BGM really need to do is ask on here or on finnbass or on any other big british forum what we want in a magazine. they're getting there, but big forums are the perfect oppurtunity to talk to their TMG, and yet they don't seem to use it. i realise there are a few people who write for BGM on here, and they will probably put these suggestions forward, but if they asked their TMG what they wanted to read about, i'm sure very few people would say "we want to read reviews of 3 basses that we can't afford" rather than "we want a good balance between botique basses and affordable basses". i know if i was to publish a magazine and i had this good an oppurtunity to see what my readers want, i'd take it up. its also a good chance to see what they're doing right, because they'd now see how much the majority enjoyed the interviews (i found them quite boring personally, but then, i always do), and they know they're doing that right.[/quote]

They are, they are watching us ..

Guest JanekGwizdala

How is it that one bass "out-performs" another. That's completely impossible. If you're looking to the instrument to do a large amount of the work you need to do to be a good musician for you, then you're quite likely looking at music from a rather warped perspective.

Take any player you dig from any genre and if they're really great musicians I'm sure you would be able to tell it's them no matter what instrument they're playing.

And it even crosses over to completely different instruments such a the piano or guitar or the drums. I can tell when it's Jojo Mayer (drummer in my band) playing the bass because of the touch and the language, it's got nothing to do with the bass he's playing. he can play my fodera, any one of my P-Basses from cheap mexican ones to expensive american ones, or his dad's P bass. And he can tell when it's me playing the piano for instance because of the language and the touch. No difference in touch of vibe. It's all the individual, and not the instrument. When you find yourself wanting to express certain things that might not exist on a $200 mexican P-Bass then perhaps you're going to start looking at an instrument with a little more craftsmanship in it. but lets face it, the music (bass playing or otherwise) with the most impact in the history of modern music has been performed on relatively cheap instruments. More often than not it's been a fender bass or a fender guitar.

I don't see why people get that bent out of shape about the cost of instruments that are being reviewed. are you really trying to rush out after every issue is published and buy the latest thing that was just reviewed at under £500? of course not. You're going to play pretty much the same bass you always have and possibly buy one once every 5-10 years if something comes along that really jumps out at you. This is of course quite a generalization, but I'm guessing it's true for a large percentage of the readership of BGM, or any other magazine for that matter.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that people often let gear come between them and the music, and use it as a crutch to lean on and bitch about. There are of course differences between a $200 mexican P-Bass, and a $10,000 Fodera. It's like the stradivarius of bass guitars, made by the single greatest luthier that's ever lived. That's a pretty bold statement I know, but it really is the reality of the situation. The kind of wood, the attention to detail, and the hundreds of meticulous man hours that go into making their instruments really do make them worth the money and the wait. Just like all those car magazines that review ferrari's and Lambourginis etc etc... it's like a once in a life time purchase, and one that is really worth making if you're serious about developing your own voice and taking your playing to a place that's different from everyone else. I think they give you a fresh pallet of colours to do what you want with, rather than coming with a built in specific sound or two like a lot of instruments on the market. And I think they're a lot like many innovators too... very copied. Just like Marcus and vic get people copying their styles of playing because they're so infectious and original, the same can be said about fodera basses, many many copies out on the market. And of course fender basses too... possibly the most copied design in the history of the instrument. I really don't know how some cats get away with copying them so closely..... DOH!

So the question(s)... why does it matter what the price of the bass is? are people really trying to purchase a new bass every time they read a review?

Easy,

Janek

[quote name='gwizmon' post='530190' date='Jul 2 2009, 07:21 AM']...Fodera. It's like the stradivarius of bass guitars, made by the single greatest luthier that's ever lived. That's a pretty bold statement I know, but it really is the reality of the situation. The kind of wood, the attention to detail, and the hundreds of meticulous man hours that go into making their instruments really do make them worth the money and the wait.[/quote]
And all without a hint of bias! :):lol:

Nah, but seriously... yes it's nice to lust after the exotica, and I don't think the suggestion is to bin the top-drawer reviews altogether -- I certainly don't want to see them disappear -- but people genuinely want to know what's out there in their price range. It's not that you want to rush out and buy one straightaway... it's just knowing what's out there at a level you can afford, and getting one person's view of it. Sure it's one man's meat and all that -- you might read a great review of a £300 acoustic, think "[i]ooh, I quite fancy that, and I can just about scrape the cash together too[/i]" & then try one in a shop and find that you personally hate it -- but without that initial review and pics, you might not even know it exists.
To continue the car metaphor, it's like those magazines you mention, or Top Gear on the telly -- it's great to hear about the slippery £100,000+ exotica, but every so often you really want them to stop arsing about in the Bugatti and actually tell you what the new Ford Fiesta is like. :rolleyes:

@Janek

You are talking as if everyone reading BGM is, or should be, an aspiring pro musician. If they were the only readers of BGM it would have gone bust years ago.

Beginners and intermediates buy the magazine, loads of beginners.

Also the weekend warriors who do fine on a Squier and old Peavey TNT but who may just want to upgrade to something just a bit better.
That's the readership who are not being served (by the reviews anyway).