Why become a member? ×

TAL what a player

ian

[quote name='Josh' post='449106' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:47 PM']I'm still finding it hard to see whats so spectacular about her playing.

To my ear it just sounds like a modern take on Jaco, nothing ground breaking or new.

Great tone though.[/quote]

MB1. :)
+1....Not Getting this either?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='449061' date='Mar 29 2009, 10:46 PM']Big smiles, lots of joy, playing music is the best. :rolleyes:[/quote]

This is really what does it for me when watching her play. Far too many of the, technically amazing, bass playing fraternity pulling serious faces whilst playing. She just always looks like she's having the greatest time on stage :D

Not sure I could really listen to much of her stuff on cd though :)

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='449125' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:18 AM']Surprises me the amount of negativity she provokes. I happen to think she's a marvelous player. I read some of the idiotic comments that some people had posted up on the video itself. Some people shouldn't be allowed the internet...[/quote]

I'm sure she wouldn't provoke so much discussion if she wasn't

a girl / tiny / quite cute

It polarises opinion as well - some people think she's great because she's a good player & a female in a predominantly male environment whilst others think she's rubbish for exactly the same reason.

Meanwhile everyone else can;t quite see what all the fuss is about either way, lol

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='449119' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:07 AM']This is really what does it for me when watching her play. Far too many of the, technically amazing, bass playing fraternity pulling serious faces whilst playing. She just always looks like she's having the greatest time on stage :rolleyes:

Not sure I could really listen to much of her stuff on cd though :)[/quote]

MB1. :D
.....Its all that .....Hi Ho Silver Lining!....everywhere you go!... ;)

I've tried and tried to get into her playing but it leaves me cold.

I've seen her compared to Jaco but I just can't hear it.
(Some of) Jaco's playing rocks my world but Tal's just reminds me of the stuff that used to get played over Ceefax at 3.00am.

I've said it before but if she looked like Kathy Staff she wouldn't get anywhere near the attention that she does.

Edited by RayFW

[quote name='RayFW' post='449136' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:35 AM']I've tried and tried to get into her playing but it leaves me cold.

I've seen her compared to Jaco but I just can't hear it.
(Some of) Jaco's playing rocks my world but Tal's just reminds me of the stuff that used to get played over Ceefax at 3.00am.

I've said it before but if she looked like Kathy Staff she wouldn't get anywhere near the attention that she does.[/quote]

Same here,she is obviously a fantastic bass player but it just sounds detatched and ungroovy to me i cant get into it,i also think that if she had been less cute no bugger would have noticed as much. This piece is very good though and i like the chords at the start.

Edited by YouMa

I think she's a great player, with great tone and her album has some really good stuff on it but I have to agree with the ceefax statement earlier - it does go a bit too far into the realms of musak in places, and the pianist doesn't help - think baywatch :)
I think she's great in a supportive role.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='449047' date='Mar 29 2009, 10:35 PM']That's the proper angle the wrist should be. Leaves the wrist tendons relaxed and improves speed, agility & hand span. The thumb should never hook over the leading edge of the neck for this very reason.[/quote]

I beg to differ, I find keeping my wrists close to straight infinitely more comfortable than a near 90 degree angle... The only thing that benefits is handspan.

[quote name='Protium' post='449634' date='Mar 30 2009, 04:48 PM']I beg to differ, I find keeping my wrists close to straight infinitely more comfortable than a near 90 degree angle... The only thing that benefits is handspan.[/quote]

+1 although if i need the handspan i can always bend my wrists.

although, if i could play as well as her, i probably wouldn't worry too much how i did it :)

[quote name='Pkomor' post='449751' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:32 PM']I love the tone!

i know its mostly in the fingers, but any ideas to help achieve that on my graphic eq?[/quote]

boost the upper mids (800ish Hz) maybe, roll off above that, roll back the tone control a bit, use the bridge pickup if you've got one, play fingerstyle near the bridge?

the mid boost might be too high in the spectrum so try a bit lower if 800Hz doesn't sound right.

i don't really go for that tone so i'm just guessing here.

[quote name='Pkomor' post='449751' date='Mar 30 2009, 06:32 PM']I love the tone!

i know its mostly in the fingers, but any ideas to help achieve that on my graphic eq?[/quote]

Hehe, no way that high end is in the fingers - EQ in a bit of high mids and treble to taste