Why become a member? ×

Three Dot Guitars - from the man behind the 'old' Sadowsky Metros.

thodrik

I don't usually start threads but haven't seen anybody else post anything relating to this brand yet.

I just saw that Guitar Guitar are now stocking the brand known as Three Dots guitars. They are apparently the new line of instruments by Yoshi Kikuchi, who previously headed up the Sadowsky Metro division in Japan. Guitar Guitar have a cool interview with him as well: https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/141388/

Guitar Guitar only have one bass in stock, a J bass at £1,849  https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210330367911003--three-dots-jb-model-british-racing-green

Personally I think there is a bit of a mismatch between the untraditional headstock married to the very traditional body which I don't really like. Similarly, the 'three dot' inlays remind me too much of the stickers teachers use to help beginners learn scales. So probably a 'no' for me. 

At least now the question of 'what is the man who was formerly in charge of the old Sadowsky Metro Japan team doing now?' question can be answered for the half dozen of us who were previously wondering. Fit, finish and fretwork should be on point if nothing else. 

It would be cool to see if anybody is able to try them out and share their thoughts. 

Cheers!

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, thodrik said:

At least now the question of 'what is the man who was formerly in charge of the old Sadowsky Metro Japan team doing now?' question can be answered for the half dozen of us who were previously wondering. Fit, finish and fretwork should be on point if nothing else. 

There's also a guitar range with Yoshi's name mentioned (b3 guitars) - so my guess is that the metro Japan came out of an existing production line, with Yoshi focusing on the sadowsky stuff... the interesting question is what else were they/do they make...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

There's also a guitar range with Yoshi's name mentioned (b3 guitars) - so my guess is that the metro Japan came out of an existing production line, with Yoshi focusing on the sadowsky stuff... the interesting question is what else were they/do they make...

I am intrigued to know this. From the interview, I wasn't aware that Yoshi started Atelier Z, though from looking at the stylings I did previously 'think' that there must have been some kind of connection. 

18 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I am intrigued to know this. From the interview, I wasn't aware that Yoshi started Atelier Z, though from looking at the stylings I did previously 'think' that there must have been some kind of connection. 

But then left to work with Roger/Okeda international... 
Mas Hino also seems to have worked in New York for Suhr then gone back to be master builder at Atelier and then back to New York for his current stuff. 

Hideous headstock spoiling an otherwise quite conventional Jazz. I don’t think having extra dot inlays justifies the rather high price. He may sell enough in Japan but otherwise I’m afraid  he’s likely to bomb. It’s one thing to be the top luthier with a well known brand but quite another to survive on your own in an already over crowded marketplace.

13 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Hideous headstock spoiling an otherwise quite conventional Jazz. I don’t think having extra dot inlays justifies the rather high price. He may sell enough in Japan but otherwise I’m afraid  he’s likely to bomb. It’s one thing to be the top luthier with a well known brand but quite another to survive on your own in an already over crowded marketplace.

Funny. I was thinking rather nice headstock spoiled by yet another boring Fender clone body. 😅

i think i really like that headstock, but it looks sharp enough to cut yourself on.  does it come with a safety cover for when you're not playing it?

i'm not sure about the fingerboard dots though.  the brand is "Three Dots", and then every other fret has three dots in it... it feels like it's trying a bit too hard.  normal dots and three dots at the octave might alright though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Witch Hazel said:

i think i really like that headstock, but it looks sharp enough to cut yourself on.  does it come with a safety cover for when you're not playing it?

i'm not sure about the fingerboard dots though.  the brand is "Three Dots", and then every other fret has three dots in it... it feels like it's trying a bit too hard.  normal dots and three dots at the octave might alright though.

That is what I thought. A three dot inlay on the twelfth fret would be fine. As it is I just think it is a bit cluttered looking.