Jump to content

SOLD: Trace Elliot V6 all valve 400w holy grail of a bass amp!
£1500


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Trace Elliot V6 ALL VALVE 400W bass amp.

The holy grail of bass amps!!

Extremely rare!! Very, very few of these made.

This dates from around 2000.

Packed with all valve goodness and 6 valve output tubes / valves.

It has a great gain control which helps keep the tone Valvey but clean right up to high levels. A 4 tone eq stack. Flat is 2-10-2. Post and pre DI and hi and low switches for endless tone shaping!

The beauty of this amp is it is around 25kg, so it's a lot lot lighter than an Ampeg or similar valve amp.

If owned SVT, ashdown ctm300, laney nexus tube - all the big valve amps, and this is hands down the best.

In good condition seeing its 20 years old and sounds amazing!!

Also, a current, and certainly future collectors item!!

Comes with custom made hard flight case.

Reluctant sale. I've had this a few weeks. I've not been able to work since the start of the pandemic, still cant sure to restrictions and now of all things I need ceiling repairs..... so I'm having a big clear out: x2 valve amps, 2 basses. What doesnt sell first, stays.

Pick up Leyland, Lancashire.

20210619_152227.jpg

20210619_141333.jpg

20210704_110117.jpg

20210619_125707.jpg

20210619_141331.jpg

20210619_141312.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am really happy with my EBS Fafner but I totally regret selling one of these to purchase it and a Proline cab. These are seriously awesome....and should have a dedicated Beast Mode setting.....

 

GLWTS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ZenBasses said:

I am really happy with my EBS Fafner but I totally regret selling one of these to purchase it and a Proline cab. These are seriously awesome....and should have a dedicated Beast Mode setting.....

 

GLWTS

I have a V6 and a Fafner and frankly could never come to terms with selling either of them!

GLWTS

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

The original V type all valve head was the precursor to the V4 and was a 200/220 watt valve head. There was never a proper manual for the V6 as there was a general VType manual for the original range that was never updated specifically for the V6.

 

The V6 has 6 power amp tubes. It was marketed at 400 watts. Whether it actually did deliver 400 watts is open to question given most amps with six power amp tubes (Ampeg SVT) are marketed as 300 watt. Irrespective of that the V6 is loud as all hell with all the headroom you will ever need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

The original V type all valve head was the precursor to the V4 and was a 200/220 watt valve head. There was never a proper manual for the V6 as there was a general VType manual for the original range that was never updated specifically for the V6.

 

The V6 has 6 power amp tubes. It was marketed at 400 watts. Whether it actually did deliver 400 watts is open to question given most amps with six power amp tubes (Ampeg SVT) are marketed as 300 watt. Irrespective of that the V6 is loud as all hell with all the headroom you will ever need.

I'm working on the basis that this particular V6 has KT88 output valves which would sensibly be biased for 35 to 42 watts each. I'm not sure advertising as a 400 watt head is the best policy. Anyhow it's up to any potential buyer to perform due diligence.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Trace Elliot themselves marketed it as a 400w head. I'm just going off what they marketed it as. Theres lots of discussion online as to how they got the 400w out of it so to speak. As thodrik says though regardless it as big and as loud and powerful as you'll ever need. Oh, and it sounds glorious.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, la bam said:

Hi, Trace Elliot themselves marketed it as a 400w head. I'm just going off what they marketed it as. Theres lots of discussion online as to how they got the 400w out of it so to speak. As thodrik says though regardless it as big and as loud and powerful as you'll ever need. Oh, and it sounds glorious.

True, but I'd trust a Service Manual put together by the design team long before anything created by a marketing department. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

True, but I'd trust a Service Manual put together by the design team long before anything created by a marketing department. 

With 6xKT88 valves I would realistically expect the V6 to be a 300 watt valve amp, with the 4xKT88 V4 being a 200 watt amp. This would match with other KT88 amps like the 4xKT88 Matamp GT200 being rated at 200 ‘clean’ watts (and probably much more once you drive it beyond that) and the 6xKT88 Ashdown CTM 300 being rated at 300 watts.
 

Could TE have squeezed 400 watts out of the V6? I’m not sure, but it was marketed as a 400 watt amp and on that basis can be marketed as such on the second hand market. Even if it was only achieved 300 valve watts of clean power it is still a hell of a lot of power and more than a player will ever need in a rehearsal or gigging situation.

 

Either way, the reference to the 220 watt VType head in the service manual is a reference to the original 4xKT88 VType valve head that preceded the V4 and V6 (one of which is currently on sale in the classifieds here). So the reference to 220 watts in the service manual is not accurate unless one works under the assumption that both the V4 and V6 are 220 watt amps, which doesn’t really make any sense given the difference in the number of output valves. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are great amps, never a commercial success story but man the combination of a passive Fender/Alembic type pre, with Tube power section is ridiculously sweet sounding. TE got it very right with the V series.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thodrik said:

Could TE have squeezed 400 watts out of the V6? I’m not sure, but it was marketed as a 400 watt amp and on that basis can be marketed as such on the second hand market. 

 

image.png.dd97aa275057195b5c7fe1bc90353fa6.png

 

That's the spirit. 😄

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, la bam said:

I found the original marketing.

 

 

IMG_20130928_0001.jpg

Yes, the old marketing blurb isn't in doubt; the point is whether it reflects reality? Regardless, it's a great amplifier that doesn't need potentially exaggerated marketing claims to back it up and the next owner should be delighted. Good luck with your sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Does the V6 have the 4 ohm and 2 ohm selector switch? The V4 that I have has 8 ohms and 4 ohms switch. So surely as for loudness, it would also depend on what cab you are driving the amp into? One thing is for sure, the V4 into an 8 ohm load is loud enough for what I need!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, yes it has the 4ohm and 2ohm switch for flexibility. Thanks.

 

22 minutes ago, Bassman72 said:

Does the V6 have the 4 ohm and 2 ohm selector switch? The V4 that I have has 8 ohms and 4 ohms switch. So surely as for loudness, it would also depend on what cab you are driving the amp into? One thing is for sure, the V4 into an 8 ohm load is loud enough for what I need!!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • la bam changed the title to REDUCED £1200 Trace Elliot V6 all valve 400w holy grail of a bass amp!
  • la bam changed the title to REDUCED FOR A WEEK £995. Trace Elliot V6 all valve 400w holy grail of a bass amp!
  • 2 weeks later...

 

On 25/07/2021 at 12:06, Sparky Mark said:

I'm working on the basis that this particular V6 has KT88 output valves which would sensibly be biased for 35 to 42 watts each. I'm not sure advertising as a 400 watt head is the best policy. Anyhow it's up to any potential buyer to perform due diligence.

Interesting points of view on the power rating of this amp, why should/would anyone diverge from the manufacturers ratings of what the amp can output?

 

What this logic suggests is, that anyone selling a second hand amp should dig out the schematics to determine the power output before advertising...? 🤷‍♂️

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • la bam changed the title to SOLD: Trace Elliot V6 all valve 400w holy grail of a bass amp!
  • martthebass locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...