Why become a member? ×

Quatschmacher

22 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

There’s a caveat. As I said, it’s split into 4 apps internally and two of these are taken up with the current implementation. The other two apps won’t be extensions to the current VA engine but will be different things (such as an FM synth, effects (I’ve suggested a simple-architecture polysynth too (obviously MIDI-only))).

Yes, in the same way that the FI was developed over 6 years, V4 has space to be developed over the next few years. 

You should probably get ready to answer questions that are clearly answered in the manual for the next few years then.

90% of the time i stumble upon a Quatschmacher post, it's usually a pleasant answer followed by some variation of "RTFM"

Must drive you mental!

Personally,.i wpuld have liked to have seen a form factor change. 

And for 359 euro, i feel like the midibeam 4control should have been integrated.

I'd guess @GisserD will be making at least a few more sales! 

18 minutes ago, lidl e said:

You should probably get ready to answer questions that are clearly answered in the manual for the next few years then.

90% of the time i stumble upon a Quatschmacher post, it's usually a pleasant answer followed by some variation of "RTFM"

Must drive you mental!

Personally,.i wpuld have liked to have seen a form factor change. 

And for 359 euro, i feel like the midibeam 4control should have been integrated.

I'd guess @GisserD will be making at least a few more sales! 

It’s been like this since 2019!

Yes, I agree on the form factor and integration. However, this was a redesign that was due to a component being unexpectedly discontinued and so there was still housing stock to use up and other stuff so a full redesign wasn’t an option.

Personally I want to see a proper redesign down the line that has stereo outs and a USB C port. These are both things I suggested for this release. USB wasn’t possible. They looked into stereo out but all the hardware VCAs were in use. Next time hopefully, though that’s probably years away. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

No. As with all previous versions, the firmware and editor need to match. 

Everything you need for v3 is contained in the v3.60 editor. 

I’m going to ask if they’ll do a v3.61 editor to add the 4Control integration code as that works well. 

• Like 2

All very exciting stuff!  I haven't tried a FI since the initial launch version/firmware, couldn't get on with the tracking and found it quite difficult to use, I wonder if this is the time to revisit...

I have to ask though, when the opportunity to put the device in a fresh new smaller case arose with the new hardware, whyyyyyy wasn't it taken???

*Edit, I read a few posts up :) Still such a shame though, that and the lack of a USB option.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

The fact that the FI responds to MIDI means you can use any other bit of sequencer/arp hardware to trigger it. Korg make some cheap sequencers.

The idea is to arpeggiate without need for MIDI or extra stuff.  

2 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I'm only aware of the Boss SY-1 and SY-200 having arpeggiator capability and, even then, it's not possible to layer the arp onto other fx 'within' the unit. Maybe the SY-1000 has this level of capability, but significantly beyond my budget.

How are you currently achieving arp functionality with your set up?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kev said:

All very exciting stuff!  I haven't tried a FI since the initial launch version/firmware, couldn't get on with the tracking and found it quite difficult to use, I wonder if this is the time to revisit...

I have to ask though, when the opportunity to put the device in a fresh new smaller case arose with the new hardware, whyyyyyy wasn't it taken???

*Edit, I read a few posts up :) Still such a shame though, that and the lack of a USB option.

The time to revisit was a few years back. The v3.60 update was when the drag-and-drop interface was finally implemented. Tracking was improved greatly over the initial release quite early on.

The lack of USB isn’t such a big deal but I can see that it would be more convenient. The bonus is that there are no USB ground loop problems on the FI because DIN MIDI ports have proper shielding. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

32 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Are you using a Morningstar controller? There is functionality built into that that could do the job. Same goes for Mortrix.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

I must admit that one gets me too - buying it and then having to pay extra for a case

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Higgie said:

Would the internals still fit in a Future Compact case?

Yes, they should. Haven’t checked for definite but I believe the boards are exactly the same size as before, there were just a few component changes. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

it does, one that won't fit on my current pedalboard!

I find that without a pedalboard I never have problems fitting pedals; I have the entire floor space. 😆

Fair point though, it’s on the large size, I think I managed it and five other pedals on my Aclam S1 board. 

It's an interesting one though. How many of the current "unnecessarily" large cases does Andras have to get through (and frankly how much do they cost apiece, I'm guessing they can't be that much?)

Any reason why he can't offer a more compact housing once he's through the current stock of outsize cases? Markbass did pretty much exactly that with their "Supersynth".

8 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

I find that without a pedalboard I never have problems fitting pedals; I have the entire floor space. 😆

Yep, and then I have a whole load more clutter to deal with in already compromised space and more time setting up when it is already too long.

I have just downsized to a smaller pedalboard to reduce space, so there isn't actually that much room.

It doesn't really matter as I have no need for one at the moment, but it was fun. If it was smaller and fitted it would have stayed there and I would have worked it into my set, but I didn't have that much real estate next to things I actually needed, so it went.

If I really needed it obviously I would get it, but when it is a want rather than a need, anything can sway the decision.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It's an interesting one though. How many of the current "unnecessarily" large cases does Andras have to get through (and frankly how much do they cost apiece, I'm guessing they can't be that much?)

Any reason why he can't offer a more compact housing once he's through the current stock of outsize cases? Markbass did pretty much exactly that with their "Supersynth".

No idea, you’d have to ask him. 

I guess with limited resources, money is better spent on feature upgrades. It seems they don’t have any problems selling them as is so there isn’t a huge incentive to change it.

Perhaps if all the people who wanted a small-housing version were to band together and go to him with a firm commitment to buy one, there’d be a way, much like the crowd-funded initial release. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I'm only aware of the Boss SY-1 and SY-200 having arpeggiator capability and, even then, it's not possible to layer the arp onto other fx 'within' the unit. Maybe the SY-1000 has this level of capability, but significantly beyond my budget.

How are you currently achieving arp functionality with your set up?

There is an arpeggiator in the Source Audio C4 and also a Cooper Moments Machine but they don't have ADSR per step so two notes at the same pitch just become one note twice the length. The Eventide Pitch Factor has an arpeggiator but the patterns are preset.  There is a CV message based hack but it's far from convenient to implement. Adrenalinn III has an arpeggiator with ADSR per step but it's based on a pink noise generator not an audio source.   I have the C4, the Moments Machine and Adrenalinn.  The first two are for sale at the Gallery right now along with an old Akai SB1.  I sold the Pitchfactor about 8 years ago.

So basically there are a number of pedals who have taken a shot at the functionality and only sort of half implemented it.

I dont know what any of this means.

I do know that the FI is my all time favourite pedal and i recommend it to bassists often

As a pedal enthusiast and big fan of the FI, im not seeing anything that makes me think i need this upgrade. Am i wrong? Am i missing some killer app in the update that will make it worth buying a new one?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I dont know what any of this means.

I do know that the FI is my all time favourite pedal and i recommend it to bassists often

As a pedal enthusiast and big fan of the FI, im not seeing anything that makes me think i need this upgrade. Am i wrong? Am i missing some killer app in the update that will make it worth buying a new one?

Having wider control over the 9 onboard parameters. Detent on the parameter dial. Increased note detection sensitivity, faster tracking, option to eliminate the pitch blip, oscillator sync sounds, octave transposition via MIDI, better sound quality, then all the new stuff that’s planned for the future. There’s plenty to make upgrading worthwhile if it’s a heavy-use pedal.

I won’t likely be using my FI I any more and am planning to loan it to someone who doesn’t have one. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

27 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Having wider control over the 9 onboard parameters. Detent on the parameter dial. Increased note detection sensitivity, faster tracking, option to eliminate the pitch blip, oscillator sync sounds, octave transposition via MIDI, better sound quality, then all the new stuff that’s planned for the future. There’s plenty to make upgrading worthwhile if it’s a heavy-use pedal.

I won’t likely be using my FI I any more and am planning to loan it to someone who doesn’t have one. 

Bah! I only use mine for Quatschmacher patches!

The new stuff planned is the most intriguing bit to me. I will keep an eye on development...