Why become a member? ×

Bi-Amping

ARGH

I run 2 amps, its hassle. Hassle is Doom. Uber mud low end from one and some sort of punch and definition from the other. Plus loads of distortion without dropping the lows, and being able to move from in front of one to the other for low feedback and high feedback. Its dynamic. In practice I use an office chair to scoot between them.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='446608' date='Mar 26 2009, 10:28 PM']I run 2 amps, its hassle. Hassle is Doom. Uber mud low end from one and some sort of punch and definition from the other. Plus loads of distortion without dropping the lows, and being able to move from in front of one to the other for low feedback and high feedback. Its dynamic. In practice I use an office chair to scoot between them.[/quote]
Funeral Doom.....

You have just gotta love Winter.

Used to, but without the hassle of loads of cabs & amps, just a Peavy [url="http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300567.pdf"]Megabass[/url] head & 1516 cab. Not sure I ever [i]really[/i] noticed the difference, but it still sounds good on some old cassettes of gigs I have

Edited by WalMan

Running a bi-amp rig should be no more hassle than you want it to be. My rig for all of the 90s was a bi-amp and it was no bigger than my current normal rig and although it was heavier that's because the technology has moved on since then to give us lighter gear.

Advantages for me were the fact that the upper frequencies went through a speaker at head height so I never had any trouble hearing myself, plus I could assign effects to one half or the other as appropriate. Downsides were the fact that because some effects were only on one half of the bi-amp signal I needed two channels on the PA to get the correct bass sound. Also it would confuse some engineers because from the meters there was plenty of signal on the bottom half but relatively little on the top. I'd always get them to set the gain and levels for both channels from the more powerful low end and then usually everything would sound fine.

FYI the rig was: Bass>Peavey BassFex (bi-amp split hi and low)>Carlsobro 300+300 power amp>2x8" speakers for highs, 1x15" speaker for lows

HTH

When I were a lad and gigging with Dark Heresy I used to have a silly set up. Peavey MkVI head driving a Peavey 15" sub with passive crossover, paired with a Peavey 210TX and a Peavey 410TX running ful range. It was a beast.

My next rig was a Peavey 800W power amp driving a Peavey BassFex and I got my hands on a 8Ohm 115BW. I found the best results came from running only low frequencies through the 15 and running the 410TX full range.

I always felt that running on top end through the 10s lacked something.

Nowadays I just use a 2 x 12 live and let the PA do the hard work. I played the main hall at Farnham maltings with no PA support with a 600W Tech head and cab and blew the walls off the place and the master volume wasn't even half way up.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='446958' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:57 AM']I found the best results came from running only low frequencies through the 15 and running the 410TX full range.

I always felt that running on top end through the 10s lacked something.[/quote]

That's what I used to do with my Hartke 2x10 and 1x15. 2x10 - full range, 1x15 - lows only. Only trouble was that the 1x15's driver wasn't really up to the task.

IN the 90's I used to biamp a monster beast of a rig (2 HH PA 15s and 2 laney 410s running off a crown DC300 lab amp for the lows and a Laney G300 for the highs).

It looked 'kin ace, sounded pretty good too, was ridiculous to move about and totally unnecesary.

I loved it dearly.

Now I run a single very modern 410 and its louder, it sounds better and fills a room more evenly IMO.

With modern kit I dont think there is a real need to biamp, you can get a crossover to only send top end to effects then remix them before sending them to a single cab instead....

Edited by 51m0n

I used to run a single bi-ampable twin channel head with lows into a 1x15 & highs into my 2x10.

To be honest I never really liked the sound up close. The 15 always seemed to be too muddy & the 10's lacked enough punch.

I had a variable frequency control on the amp & the only way I ever got it quite how I wanted it was to run most of the frequency range through the 10's & leave the 15 as more of a sub cab.

In the end I just the whole set up in stereo &, to my ears on stage, it sounded much nicer.

As you can see from my gear list my eden WT600 is a stereo head .Switch on front goes from full range to bi-amp(as long as you have two separate enclosures to take individual signal).With the eden you can run full range from one side only which means you don`t always have to have two cabs with you.I find that bi-amp gives a nice hi-fi quality,especially at lower power gigs,but the full range really cuts through when you need to impose yourself a little bit more.There are a number of heads that do it ,I know the older hartke 7000 and 5000 heads do much the same but I really love the eden quality.

hope this helps!!

Edited by jhk

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='446608' date='Mar 26 2009, 10:28 PM']I run 2 amps, its hassle. Hassle is Doom. Uber mud low end from one and some sort of punch and definition from the other. Plus loads of distortion without dropping the lows, and being able to move from in front of one to the other for low feedback and high feedback. Its dynamic. [b]In practice I use an office chair to scoot between them[/b].[/quote]
I want to be allowed to do that on stage. :)