Why become a member? ×

ebay: Warwick Bass Guitar (Owned by Stuart Zender)

xilddx

Warwick Bass Guitar (Owned by Stuart Zender) [b]"selling on behalf of Stuart Zender"[/b]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260383124598"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260383124598[/url]

What are your opinions of this? Esp. price?

I might be interested in it as it's pretty much what I'm after, but the description doesn't even mention it's a fretless, very little useful info, making a big deal it belonged to Zender, and the seller probably thinks it's worth more because it was. I couldn't give a guppy's anus that Zender apparently owned it.

The starting price is a bit of a joke I reckon and it's got a even higher reserve, gawd knows what though.

Would you touch it, albeit with a barge pole?

[quote name='tischbein' post='446101' date='Mar 26 2009, 03:36 PM']It´s just a wick Stage II with an ebony fretless neck and schmancy led´s.... who cares if it was owned by Stuart Z. Price ain´t bad if it´s in good condition and it is unique.... very little info offered by the seller. Arrogant d**k !![/quote]

Pretty much exactly my impression too, cheers.

[quote name='tischbein' post='446149' date='Mar 26 2009, 04:19 PM']I think Stuart had enough dough to have a custom job made.... but those songs mentioned don´t sound fretless to me. Even though, there is quite some distortion, so who knows??[/quote]

I've read an interview where he said he originally played Manifest Destiny on a fretless but they scrapped it because JK had a hard time singing against it. Could be the bass on the scrapped track I suppose.

FWIW, whilst the OP might not care if Zender played it there are probably people out there who do; he has a lot of fans.

As a Stage II fretless with LED's it should be worth over a grand all day long BUT in the present market! :)

I'd say the bass started life as a fretless mainly because that doesn't look like a wenge fingerboard (which a fretted would have had), too smooth which does look ebony and my eyes might be off but I can't see any fret filler (though I concede it could be colour matched).

The thing that I do find odd is that the serial number on the back of the neck suffixes with 94 which would indicate it was made in 94 and the prefix looks to be a G which means that it was made in July. Now if that is the case then Zender may well have had to do some Space Cowboy style travelling without moving (see what I did there :D ) as the preported recordings were released in 94, so I'd have thought they would have been physically recorded earlyish 94! I'm not saying the time scale isn't plausible and it certainly isn't impossible but if someone knew a bit of JK or Zender history they should be able to say when stuff was recorded. Thinking about it... Zender may well have literally just taken delivery of the bass during recording sessions and felt the need to try and include it on JK tracks, so it may be correct. :rolleyes:

As far as I knew Manifest Destiny was played with a fretless Alembic. It's certainly not on Travelling Without Moving, that's for sure, it's on Return of the Space Cowboy. Bit of schoolboy error considering it's an auction for one of Zender's basses, eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Relisted:

Look at that baby go [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260397268645"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260397268645[/url]

I was having a chat with the guy selling it. I offered £650 cash, Mr Zender rightly said put it back on the bay. I really wanted this bass but I ain't paying more than £800 for it. It had no bids yesterday morning and as I type, it's at £1,040.

I'm after the Kopo now, let's not bid against eachother, eh? :)

Edited by silddx