Why become a member? ×

Audio Sprockets ToneDexter pedal

Happy Jack

Next time, hopefully, we'll also be able to record a stereo DI track directly from the desk, which we couldn't do on Sunday. That will give us the sound of exactly what we are sending to the PA, but without picking up the punters' orders being barked at the waiter, the kids' screaming, the noisy motorbikes roaring past. etc. etc. which inevitably happens with the cameras.

• 2 years later...

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I've been looking at this recently, and from the handful of bass reviews online it seems pretty impressive. Rumour has it that a new batch is in the offing, and I'm seriously considering it.

To be fair, I'm pretty happy with the Realist Lifeline/Headway EDB 2 HE/Genz Benz Shuttle combo I'm using at the moment. In rehearsal recordings it sounds like a DB to me, but there's always that urge to get a little closer to the unamplified sound, however that's achieved. We've got a number of festivals over the summer, as a trio with Drums, Mandolin/Octave Mandolin & Vox, so filling out my sound a bit would be nice, and I want to make it as easy and quick as possible for the soundfolks to get me sorted, just give 'em a DI feed and Bob's yer Aunties' live-in lover. 

So, a few years down the line, did this turn out to be a long term winner, or an overcomplicated, over rated pain in the neck?

53 minutes ago, NickD said:

So, a few years down the line, did this turn out to be a long term winner, or an overcomplicated, over rated pain in the neck?

Not a PITA, more a case of things moving on and changing in such a way that there seemed little point in adding the Tone Dexter to my signal chain.

I'm in the middle of a major overhaul of my DB thinking right now. Last year I replaced my Zeller 3/4 (which returned to @Clarky) with a Zeller 4/4 (having been egged on by @Beedster), before Xmas I sold my EA Doubler head (ex @Beedster) to @pete.young, and last month I bought another KK BabyBass (from @PTB) while my go-to bass for most gigs remains the Kolstein Busetto (ex both @Clarky and @bassace).

Basschat has a lot to answer for.

The Kolstein is, essentially, fragile. It plays just beautifully but at every single gig it looks as if it's about to collapse. 😂  Part of my thinking with buying another BabyBass is that it would offer an instant short-term replacement for the Kolstein should disaster strike. In that scenario, I would revive the Tone Dexter to improve the tone of the BabyBass. Meanwhile, the BabyBass is just ideal for taking along to jam nights when I feel like playing a bit of country.

If you fancy borrowing the Tone Dexter for a fiddle abaht, fiddle abaht, let me know.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for that @Happy Jack!

It's a helpful update, and I get the Basschat chop 'n' change compulsion, this is probably just part of that. I suspect if you dropped it from your chain you can't have felt it was making 'that' much difference, and I do wonder if this is just me staring down a 600 quid rabbit hole, when I'm relatively content with my sound anyway.

I really appreciate your offer of letting me have a 'fiddle abaht, fiddle abaht', that's very kind of you. It's not something I could audition at home though (paper thin walls, cranky neighbours), but I might have a day in a few weeks time when I can book a room down at Mill Hill and spend a few hours experimenting by myself. I'll give you a shout if I manage to get that together. Thank you!