Phill

NBD - 1976 Musician Stingray Fretless

After a long(ish) search & after exhausting all other options including getting Ernie ball to make a new one, BFR's & five strings I finally got my hands on this exquisite bass.

Via a private sale & at a decent price I've finally got one! Plays absolutely beautifully & weighs a tonne too!

Fretboard was swapped a few years ago by a studio in London & new bound ebony fretboard installed.

At first I wasn't really keen on the binding, but it's growing on me.

Hipshot D Tuner installed (I have the OG tuner) but alas no original hardcore.

This is my second ever vintage bass after my 72 Jazz & I've fallen in love! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be using her for every gig I'm hired for, but I will try my dammed hardest! 

Serial starts  No. B00. Neck signed by "Andy"

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3658.heic IMG_3659.heic IMG_3660.HEIC IMG_3656.heic

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful!! Looks like it’s in great condition too. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ped said:

Beautiful!! Looks like it’s in great condition too. 

Yeah, a few dings here & there as usual but all pretty decent holding up well 

• Like 1

I think the binding looks great, too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ped said:

I think the binding looks great, too. 

I was a bit hesitant at first, but I think it "classes" it up a little bit haha!

• Like 1

1976 = vintage?. Holy shite, what does that make me?!

Nice bass though; natural ash and ebony stingrays just look "right" somehow.   Just curious .... How does it sound compared to a modern EB one?

Edited by NickA
auto"correct"
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Please know that I absolutely hate you (jealousy).

I’m sorry Steve! 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NickA said:

1976 = vintage?. Holy stinky poo, what does that make me?!

Nice bass though; natural ash and ebony stingrays just look "right" somehow.   Just curious .... How does it sound compared to a modern EB one?

Thanks! I find it’s got a bit more heft & weight to the sound compared to the EB modern ones 

• Like 1

Damnation. Getting gas now.  The gallery have three of them, all around £3k, but all maple board with frets .... guess they'd fit an ebony one for another few £100 ......

..No...  don't even think about it.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, NickA said:

Damnation. Getting gas now.  The gallery have three of them, all around £3k, but all maple board with frets .... guess they'd fit an ebony one for another few £100 ......

..No...  don't even think about it.

That was my first step really 😂 I’m not one to tell people to get stuff but yeah do it! 😂

• Like 1

Luckily no jobs coming up in North London ... Otherwise I'd be unstoppably "drawn" to Camden ... and we know what happens then.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stingraybassman
      Hi Folks,
      Never thought the day would come, but a mixture of not playing it much anymore (and a disaster on the Football Index) I'm parting ways with this beautiful bass.Owned from brand new in 2005 (whatever PMT in Manchester was known as back then), 18th Birthday Present (I'm 33 Now). I've grown up with it and will be so sad to see it go.
      2005 3eq in Black with Maple Fretboard. Well played but in amazing condition. 2 small marks on the headstock and bottom horn that I've pictured. Currently strung with D'Addario flats that are nicely broken in and sound wonderfully muted. We all know how much these rip with Rounds on as well. Neck has worn great and has the great smooth feel of the unfinished 'Rays. 
      Without sounding sentimental, I grew up with this bass. Made some amazing memories. It deserves to go to someone who will play it to death as I once did.
      Located in Chesterfield, happy to ship at buyers expense. 

• By SurroundedByManatees
      Beautiful Overwater fretless bass, custom made for the original owner around 2005.
      The bass has a stunning quilted maple top and a nice green/blue burst finish. The fretboard is made of ebony.  It's an active bass.
      Pics:

There are several cosmetic damages to be found around the bass; dents, scratches, missing paint chips; battle scars. The fretboard shows signs of use but is definitely in very good condition. All hardware and electronics function like they should. The bass plays very well and has plenty of the mwah you want from a decent fretless. 
      An original, high quality Overwater gigbag/softcase is included.
      asking €1.250
      I am located in the Netherlands, but happy to ship at buyers risk (insured, well packed)
      As I just bought a CS Fender, I am not really looking for trades to keep my bankaccount happy... But you can always try me with something nice (basses or guitars, I like Fender style stuff mostly)
    • By alexcar66
      Immaculate 2020 Stingray Special 5 string, with roasted maple neck and board, Burnt Apple finish. 18v 3 band circuit 

Just have to come to terms I'm not a 5 String Player!

now traded 

• By Linus27
      For sale is my gorgeous Limelight 1960 Stack Knob Fretless Jazz bass in Sherwood Green with medium relic. I had this made by Mark at Limelight to my specifications. As with all Limelight basses it sounds and plays beautifully.
      Details are,
      Unlined Ebony Fretless neck 38mm nut width. Hand rolled finger board. Aged nitro finish on the neck. Parchment scratchplate. Gotoh Vintage reverse tuners. Aged finish in nitro-cellulose. Lightly tarnished metal work. Stack knobs. Earth grounding strip from bridge to bridge pick up. Mute holes. Thumb Rest (Below strings). Hootenanny button on the back of the headstock. Period correct Fender logo. Weight 4.3kg Limelight make wonderful replica Fender basses and this one is no exception. Sounds and plays beautifully. It's very hard to photograph Sherwood Green as in some photos it looks green and in others it looks blue. So the last photo is next to a blue pot and a green pot which helps show the true colour of the bass.
      I paid £1123 for this at the start of 2020 and it has never been gigged or even left the house. Price is £800, based in Camberley, Surrey and UK shipping available at buyers cost.
      Would consider trades for the following,
      Fender Precision American Vintage Reissue 62 or 57 in Sunburst or White with cash your way.
      Fender Precision American Standard 2008 onwards (high mass bridge, lightweight Hipshot tuners and knurled chrome flat-top controls) in Sunburst with Rosewood neck.
      Fender American Performer Precision.

• By BassVentura-FretDetective
      Bought a couple of years back from the Bass Gallery in Camden. Wonderful example of a Stringray, just moving to jazzes instead (also first baby making me glance at finances a little...)
      Original advert:
      https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/ernie-ball-music-man-stingray-2
      Previous owner modded/upgraded it by adding the neck pickup and installing Nordstrand pickups and an 18v pre-amp. Volume pot has pull/push function for active/passive switching - perfect for channeling your inner Joe Dart. 2EQ. Serial number indicates that it started life as a 2010 single H model.
      Excellent overall condition, with one or two small dings on the body but very hard to see against the wood grain. Weight comes in at just over 4kg. Soft case included.
      Come and give it a try if you're ever in Hove!