Phill

NBD - 1976 Musician Stingray Fretless

After a long(ish) search & after exhausting all other options including getting Ernie ball to make a new one, BFR's & five strings I finally got my hands on this exquisite bass.

Via a private sale & at a decent price I've finally got one! Plays absolutely beautifully & weighs a tonne too!

Fretboard was swapped a few years ago by a studio in London & new bound ebony fretboard installed.

At first I wasn't really keen on the binding, but it's growing on me.

Hipshot D Tuner installed (I have the OG tuner) but alas no original hardcore.

This is my second ever vintage bass after my 72 Jazz & I've fallen in love! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be using her for every gig I'm hired for, but I will try my dammed hardest! 

Serial starts  No. B00. Neck signed by "Andy"

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3658.heic IMG_3659.heic IMG_3660.HEIC IMG_3656.heic

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful!! Looks like it’s in great condition too. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ped said:

Beautiful!! Looks like it’s in great condition too. 

Yeah, a few dings here & there as usual but all pretty decent holding up well 

• Like 1

I think the binding looks great, too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ped said:

I think the binding looks great, too. 

I was a bit hesitant at first, but I think it "classes" it up a little bit haha!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1976 = vintage?. Holy shite, what does that make me?!

Nice bass though; natural ash and ebony stingrays just look "right" somehow.   Just curious .... How does it sound compared to a modern EB one?

Edited by NickA
auto"correct"
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Please know that I absolutely hate you (jealousy).

I’m sorry Steve! 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NickA said:

1976 = vintage?. Holy stinky poo, what does that make me?!

Nice bass though; natural ash and ebony stingrays just look "right" somehow.   Just curious .... How does it sound compared to a modern EB one?

Thanks! I find it’s got a bit more heft & weight to the sound compared to the EB modern ones 

• Like 1

Oh wow. Nice. Counting Crows August and Everything After territory that.

• Like 1

Damnation. Getting gas now.  The gallery have three of them, all around £3k, but all maple board with frets .... guess they'd fit an ebony one for another few £100 ......

..No...  don't even think about it.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, NickA said:

Damnation. Getting gas now.  The gallery have three of them, all around £3k, but all maple board with frets .... guess they'd fit an ebony one for another few £100 ......

..No...  don't even think about it.

That was my first step really 😂 I’m not one to tell people to get stuff but yeah do it! 😂

• Like 1

Luckily no jobs coming up in North London ... Otherwise I'd be unstoppably "drawn" to Camden ... and we know what happens then.

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By skb558
      For Sale /Trade £1650 shipped.
      Roscoe Century 4 Fretless.
      Roscoe have built a reputation over 30 years of making some of the finest custom basses in the USA. Here is a Century shape bass with an beautiful quilted maple top over a resonant Spanish Cedar body, a Diamondwood fingerboard and three piece maple neck. The bass is finished off with a Bartolini 3 band preamp with switchable low/high mid for great control over fretless tones adding either more or less honk or more or less warmth and the superb Bartolini JJ pickups in the JB position for a really inspirational bass full of punchy tones with real depth, control and plenty of mwaaah!
      Three piece Spanish Cedar Body
      Flamed Maple top
      Finish - Amberburst satin
      Three piece Maple neck with contrasting stringers
      Fingerboard - Lined Black Diamondwood (resin, pressure impregnated wood)
      Graphtech nut
      34" Scale
      Bartolini 3-band pre amp with volume, pan, treble/bass stack, mid/mid freq select push/pull (250/800hz)
      Bartolini JJ Pickup in the JB position
      Black ultralight Gotoh tuners
      Black Hipshot B style bridge in Aluminium
      Strings: D'Addario EXL Nickel 45 - 105
      TKL Pro Case (soft)
      Weight: 3.7kg/8lb 1oz

• By Deedee
      I'm thinning the herd so this beauty has got to go. It's a stunning bass with a beautiful birdseye/flame maple neck that many 'rays of this era are known for.  This bass also had a fret level and set up by John Shuker last year.
      It comes with a hard case which I believe is original.  It's not one of the Musicman moulded cases, but I've been informed that it's a SKB which were used along with the G&G cases around this era.  It's certainly made for a Stingray as the inner moulding at the headstock has the lower cut-out for the G tuner.
      Manufactured 29th October 1992 Maple neck with Rosewood board Ash body Translucent Teal finish Matt black/white/black plate Metal battery cover 'Off-set' string entry type bridge with mutes 6 bolt neck plate Weight 9lb 13oz Neck width at nut 43mm It's in wonderful condition with only a couple of indentations to the finish on the body (nothing at all that has gone through the finish). 
      I'll try to capture these and add photos later.  EDIT - Photos added showing the worst bruises I can capture.  As you can see, they take nothing away from the bass. I'm just trying to be thorough.
      Collection or meet up only on this at present as I'm short of packaging materials. I am however willing to drive a fair distance for a motorway services rendezvous!
      Not interested in any trades at this time thank you.

• By Ted Theodore Logan, III
      As it is well noted and unanimously decided amongst the great members of this, the marvelous Basschat community; Ted Theodore Logan III is the most generous and giving chap this side of Helsinki.  

As a result, I am offering up a most beautiful and prestigious Sandberg California Fretless Boom Stick to one very lucky member of the BC community at the very gentlemanly price of just £895... 
      “SAY WHAT?!!...."

Yes, you read correctly, there is no need to search for those elusive reading glasses which were simply in your top pocket all along...

A meager £895 for all that Sandberg German goodness!

“Is Ted mad?!" You may ask yourself... Simply put... 
      “Yes, yes I am."

So why not take advantage of Ted's insanity and become the proud owner of what is probably the best Sandberg California TT4 Fretless Bass Guitar in 3 tone Sunburst Matt finish currently for sale at this price?..

“At only £895 of your English Doubloons, you'd be mad not to!!..."
      (Dirty girl)

“Here's the spec'":

As new condition!! 

Item Description:

model: Sandberg California TT4 Fretless Bass Guitar
      finish: 3 tone Sunburst Matt
      electronics: Sandberg AlNiCo Passive Jazz Pickups
      controls: Volume, Balance, Tone
      hardware: Sandberg Locking Tuners & Sandberg Premium Bridge (matching black)
      neck: Unmarked Fretless
      fingerboard wood: Rosewood 
      scale: 34inch (oooh, that's long)
      weight: 4.4kg
      case: Sandberg Padded Gig Bag
      condition: Mint
      price: £895 (in gold or cash)

Happy to arrange insured courier at buyer's cost or for buyer to arrange their own courier.

Go on!  Get some German wood in those hands and strum it like you've no shame! 

Here's some brand new pictures to satisfy those fans of “heavy rock"....

...backgrounds...
      (Taken at the quarry where I currently reside)

(Clears throat...)

End.

• By sprocketflup
      Lovely, lovely little fretless here, made by Vintage, however I cant find any model number info anywhere on the bass, if you know let me know  (mystery solved - its a V940)
      Active circuitry, fitted with some unknown black flatwounds, it plays incredibly well. Knobs are master vol, pick up select, and bass and treble active pots, giving this a fairly broad tonal palette.

Condition wise, very very good, I cant find any dings on it. The main body wood is some sort of bubinga/wenge type, with an open grain, but not as deep as wenge so I don't think its that. Weight is 4.2kg according to my bathroom scales.
      In summary, a really nice bass. Only reason this is being let go is I have too many fretlii as it is. Collection much preferred, although I do get around the country a bit with my various works, so could possibly bring somewhere near to you.

• By SurroundedByManatees
      Beautiful Overwater fretless bass, custom made for the original owner around 2005.
      The bass has a stunning quilted maple top and a nice green/blue burst finish. The fretboard is made of ebony.  It's an active bass.
      Pics:

There are several cosmetic damages to be found around the bass; dents, scratches, missing paint chips; battle scars. The fretboard shows signs of use but is definitely in very good condition. All hardware and electronics function like they should. The bass plays very well and has plenty of the mwah you want from a decent fretless. 
      An original, high quality Overwater gigbag/softcase is included.
      Now €1.150
      I am located in the Netherlands, but happy to ship at buyers risk (insured, well packed)